Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Dec 26, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #5,836 of 8,024
I get Cardas Clear Light. Really great cable for Ori.

Attachments

• IMG_20211224_163023_392.jpg
    IMG_20211224_163023_392.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #5,837 of 8,024
But how does the Mellianus sound ????
Why do we never talk about it much, on the contrary ... we talk more about Isabellae and Crassirostris than about Mellianus?
Is it the only one who did not "succeed" well or are there other reasons?

Melli was their flagship until Traillii was released a year ago, and I do believe it is undervalued. I think the problem is those who already have Traillii look at Mellianus as a downgrade or a sidegrade, while others who are in the market for $3k-$3.5k flagship are faced with a lot more options now.

But in my opinion, Mellianus JP, the new refreshed version of the original, is still very competitive at $3.5k (or whatever holiday discount you can get now from MT, saw it recently at 34% off on their site), and it comes with a brand new premium PWA Silver cable. Here is how it looks next to the Bird:

20210901_215445_resized.jpg

And, btw, I have shared my Mellianus JP vs Traillii JP impressions before, but just in case, here it is again:

Traillii and Mellianus JP have a complementary tuning. Traillii has W-shaped sound signature with more elevated sub-bass rumble and mid-bass impact, bass scales up in quantity relative to Melli. Traillii mids are leaner, with a little less body, and not as forward presentation, while Melli mids have a fuller body, smoother tonality, and a little more forward presentation. With treble, they vary as well, where Traillii mid-treble is brighter and crisper while Melli is smoother and more laidback. As a result of this difference, Traillii W-shaped sig with a more revealing sound is complemented by Melli more evenly balanced sig with a smoother fuller body sound. Technically, their performance is on the same level with very resolving and layered sound, though while Melli soundstage is wide, Traillii pushes it even wider.

FR measurement comparison between Mellianus JP and Traillii:

Oriolus_Mellianus_JP_vs_Oriolus_Traillii-FR01.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #5,838 of 8,024
Melli was their flagship until Traillii was released a year ago, and I do believe it is undervalued. I think the problem is those who already have Traillii look at Mellianus as a downgrade or a sidegrade, while others who are in the market for $3k-$3.5k flagship are faced with a lot more options now.

But in my opinion, Mellianus JP, the new refreshed version of the original, is still very competitive at $3.5k (or whatever holiday discount you can get now from MT), and it comes with a brand new premium PWA Silver cable. Here is how it looks next to the Bird:

And, btw, I have shared my Mellianus JP vs Traillii JP impressions before, but just in case, here it is again:

Traillii and Mellianus JP have a complementary tuning. Traillii has W-shaped sound signature with more elevated sub-bass rumble and mid-bass impact, bass scales up in quantity relative to Melli. Traillii mids are leaner, with a little less body, and not as forward presentation, while Melli mids have a fuller body, smoother tonality, and a little more forward presentation. With treble, they vary as well, where Traillii mid-treble is brighter and crisper while Melli is smoother and more laidback. As a result of this difference, Traillii W-shaped sig with a more revealing sound is complemented by Melli more evenly balanced sig with a smoother fuller body sound. Technically, their performance is on the same level with very resolving and layered sound, though while Melli soundstage is wide, Traillii pushes it even wider.
Melli sounds oddly reminiscent to Phonix descriptions, based on that comparison.

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #5,839 of 8,024

But in my opinion, Mellianus JP, the new refreshed version of the original, is still very competitive at $3.5k (or whatever holiday discount you can get now from MT), and it comes with a brand new premium PWA Silver cable. Here is how it looks next to the Bird:

Overall Trailli is better than Melli, even if the price is "different". Perhaps Melli entering the Full-BA field has more competitors even in a better price range. While perhaps Traillii, regardless of price, has very few competitors and even fewer iem that sound better

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #5,840 of 8,024
Overall Trailli is better than Melli, even if the price is "different". Perhaps Melli entering the Full-BA field has more competitors even in a better price range. While perhaps Traillii, regardless of price, has very few competitors and even fewer iem that sound better
Before Traillii, there were all BA flagships that included Melli, UM Mason, Erlk, etc. I believe Melli is still popular among all BA fans for it’s smooth tuning and it serves different audience than Traillii. It was one of my favorites before Traillii and had hoped to A/B with Mason before the current models rolled in…

Dec 26, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #5,841 of 8,024
Before Traillii, there were all BA flagships that included Melli, UM Mason, Erlk, etc. I believe Melli is still popular among all BA fans for it’s smooth tuning and it serves different audience than Traillii. It was one of my favorites before Traillii and had hoped to A/B with Mason before the current models rolled in…
For example ..... even if very very little talk about it, it seems that Aroma Audio Ace is very very similar to Trailli. But I only write it for reading it. Having never listened to Traillii or Ace.

Dec 27, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #5,843 of 8,024
Well, in my opinion, Traillii's natural competitor is EE Wraith. There's almost the same set of drivers and a little more space technology. The only difference is 1 BA driver. And it seems that it costs about 3 thousand dollars, haha. And probably all the difference in sound, too, he makes)) Although in fact, of course, these are other iems. Ori have a little more and deeper bass. And have longer trebles. In general, Wraith is darker, more cohesive, and builds a more compact scene. And generally simpler. Not that they're bad, there is little that can be better than Ori.

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #5,844 of 8,024
Well, in my opinion, Traillii's natural competitor is EE Wraith. There's almost the same set of drivers and a little more space technology. The only difference is 1 BA driver. And it seems that it costs about 3 thousand dollars, haha. And probably all the difference in sound, too, he makes)) Although in fact, of course, these are other iems. Ori have a little more and deeper bass. And have longer trebles. In general, Wraith is darker, more cohesive, and builds a more compact scene. And generally simpler. Not that they're bad, there is little that can be better than Ori.
I’ve heard the wraith.

I will simply say that I do not find it to be a competitor to the traillii.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #5,848 of 8,024
Sorry, +4 😆

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #5,850 of 8,024
Traillii currently has no natural competitors for what it does best and for its specific tuning. That's why it's a standout. Cost notwithstanding.
I'll say. I am a bass head, love DD bass and timbre and 8 of my top 10 IEMs have Dynamic Driver bass. Yet, Traillii ranks number 2 because it sounds that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back