Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 18, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #436 of 8,052
TRAILLII:

I am glad there is a dedicated thread now. I did post on the Flinkenick's thread a comparison of the Traillii and the Erlkoenig a day after I got the Traillii.

Now that I know the Traillii better (2 week in and a ton of time with it) I feel more qualified to to talk about it. I will refer to the Traillii as "T" for the rest of this post.

I use the T with mainly DX300 on D5 or D3. Medium gain with Tidal. I also have used it with the Jotunheim on balanced low gain. Using Tidal also. I roughly listen to 40% jazz, 40% Ben Howard, Alexi Murdoch, Jose Gonzalez type stuff, and 10% classic rock i.e. Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, etc......

4 years ago I started a Headphone quest. Three and a half years ago I moved into an IEM quest. I started to prefer IEMs over HPs due to portability and intimacy. Not walk around portability but around the house or take to work for the day or grab one of numerous IEMs during the night from the nightstand drawer next to the bed,

I am over 60 IEMs into the quest. Ridiculous in itself. With any passion none of this has been planned. Just following a passion.

I love IEMs but the T is different than any other IEM I have owned. It really sounds like the best, most engaging, most clear, most natural open back Headphone on the market. It is an open back headphone that does not have the issue of hearing sounds around me.

Due to the wide stage and clarity of the T, at times I feel like I need to stop listening so the sound is not annoying those around me. Then I realize I have an IEM in my ears with excellent isolation and no sound is bleeding to others around me. Extremely mind boggling at times.

The staging of the T is the most prominent thing that comes to me at first. The stage is super wide. In a good recording I can pick out where every instrument and the vocals are on the stage. Very far left and right and a little front to back. What a joy. The notes are so spread out and clear but still super engaging. Nothing jumps out with the mids, the bass and the treble that distract from the enjoyment of the music.

The timbre is extremely natural. This is an unbelievably well tuned IEM. With other IEMs things jump out as not blending together well. That does not exist with the T. Everything blends together extremely well.

The T is not like an IEM. Therefore it is not as intimate as other IEMs. Erlkonig or Elysium come to mind for intimacy. This is an IEM to enjoy and live the music. It is an extremely engaging IEM.

I know I have said this already but it is not an IEM that has the sound produced within the space of your head. It is the most amazing "Open Back Headphone" I have ever heard. The music is not just in your head but is in and all around your head. The music is not colored. To me the music is true to how it was meant to be heard. Whatever the hell that means. A better way to say it is that the sound is true to how I think the sound is supposed to be heard.

I can of course easily add the Traillili to the list of IEMs I thoroughly enjoy. I need variety and the Traillii is such an enjoyable addition. So different to any other IEM I have heard.

That is my take for the moment.
that is what I experience too. I do 30% classic jazz, 20% Latin Jazz or Funky Jazz, 20% Classical music (mostly Violin concerts and chamber music) and 20% Rock, Pop, Hard Rock, Metal and Reggae. In ALL areas T performs excellent and especially in classical music it is amazing to have every single instrument in the orchestra being identifiable in its position relative to the others, but also distinguish each individual instruments tunes. Having 20 - 30 different sound elements is a big challenge to listen to at the same time, because we listen to flute, or bass or the Cello or the Viola ....
I am glad to hear that you have the same impression and experience with the Traillii.

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #437 of 8,052
i go back and forth between liking the bird or erlky better for classical music.

erlky puts you right on the stage with its rich tonality and tons of impact; from string plucks to timpani hits to trombone blares...all presented in an intimate way.

the traillii is more diffuse and utterly massive, with mind-numbing layering that to my ears strikes the perfect balance between being airy and startlingly musical. i do not hear any incoherency issues between frequency ranges or different driver types, and nothing sounds like it is stretched too far apart like on the fourte. detail is revolutionary for an iem, and everything sounds extremely accurate, with a smooth and natural presentation.

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #438 of 8,052
i go back and forth between liking the bird or erlky better for classical music.

erlky puts you right on the stage with its rich tonality and tons of impact; from string plucks to timpani hits to trombone blares...all presented in an intimate way.

the traillii is more diffuse and utterly massive, with mind-numbing layering that to my ears strikes the perfect balance between being airy and startlingly musical. i do not hear any incoherency issues between frequency ranges or different driver types, and nothing sounds like it is stretched too far apart like on the fourte. detail is revolutionary for an iem, and everything sounds extremely accurate, with a smooth and natural presentation.

This is what really tickles my fancy regarding the Traillii... with the Elysium my number one complaint was coherency. It felt like I was listening to three songs as once. The Traillii seriously sounds like it’s made up of BAs or something, except it has a really soothing magical bass and highs to dream for. I seriously listen to them for 4 hours a day minimum and they sound so good off my little ddhifi lightning to 2.5 dongle. I barely even use my W2 because the convenience of the adapter and trade off in sound quality is honestly negligible.

I have a norne draug coming in for my hd800s. Keeping the bird and senn and selling my andromeda, lcdi4, and elysium, I’m done with them lol.

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #441 of 8,052
Want to share the info the LP will soon add Traillii-tuned EQ to their products P6 Pro and W2. The Traiillii EQ will come first to P6 Pro in the next FW update which should be realeased in these two weeks. W2's Traillii EQ will be released afterward.

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #442 of 8,052
Want to share the info the LP will soon add Traillii-tuned EQ to their products P6 Pro and W2. The Traiillii EQ will come first to P6 Pro in the next FW update which should be realeased in these two weeks. W2's Traillii EQ will be released afterward.

No I’m not buying the p6 pro please no more..

Jk I’m prob gonna buy it now :/

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #443 of 8,052
No I’m not buying the p6 pro please no more..

Jk I’m prob gonna buy it now :/
Its UI is not really for everyone... Andrew at Musicteck has a demo unit. Make sure you try it first before making the move. :)

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #444 of 8,052
Oooo, any word on song tags?

Its UI is not really for everyone... Andrew at Musicteck has a demo unit. Make sure you try it first before making the move. :)

Currently in my possession :p

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #450 of 8,052
Ok cool cuz I just bought a zx507 that I plan to use the bird with. My 1z can be annoying at times with no streaming lol. Too bad the battery on the zx507 sucks ._.
I sold my ZX507 before I bought a Traillii, so I can’t provide any direct comparisons unfortunately. However, what I will say is that the overall sound quality from ZX507 is pretty good, and somewhat similar in tone to WM1Z, but it doesn’t compete with 1Z in soundstage expansion, 3D layering, or just creating a general sense of naturalness/realism.

ZX507 sounds more “digital” for lack of a better term. It’s a shame, because I loved the convenience of streaming and the form factor of ZX507, but the degraded sound quality ultimately led me to selling it off. Battery life is also a massive downgrade compared to 1Z.

Apparently there is a new Sony flagship DAP in the works and will be released in the near future. A successor to 1A/1Z with streaming!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back