Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 22, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #3,211 of 8,052
That would just create a stereo image that sounds like a channel imbalance. It's much easier to focus and write detailed notes zeroing in on certain aspects of a track.
Only If cable sound is not a myth ,right?. I may just do it and see if that's true.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #3,213 of 8,052
Definitely keep us posted if you get to do the blind tests. I’d love to do one/several myself. But a more recent anecdotal experience where I believe in the cable audible changes is where @toaster demo’d the Attilia on Traillii and I purposely waited until he sent me his notes first before comparing. We had the same exact impressions without influencing one another’s expectations. Probably not a coincidence at this point. But it is healthy to be skeptical. I stumbled upon cable rolling by accidentally, was the hugest skeptic out there initially lol.
:pray:

I am glad I didn't ask you your thoughts before I listened and formed my own impressions.

After I got some time with the orpheus, I spoke to my two other friends who own it...we all basically agreed on the changes we were hearing with the bird.

So, it's all obviously real.

Or we're all similarly crazy.

It could be both.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #3,214 of 8,052
:pray:

I am glad I didn't ask you your thoughts before I listened and formed my own impressions.

After I got some time with the orpheus, I spoke to my two other friends who own it...we all basically agreed on the changes we were hearing with the bird.

So, it's all obviously real.

Or we're all similarly crazy.

It could be both.
Whether or not you hear differences in sound between cables is not crazy. Spending $5000 on a cable is crazy.

Jun 22, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #3,215 of 8,052
If microphonics of 1960 cable bothers you, there won't be any complaints about it with @Eric Chong Eletech Aeneid or Iliad :wink:

Btw, Aeneid pair up with Traillii is different than Iliad. Iliad has a similar (or close enough) tonality and technical performance as stock 1960 4w, except the soundstage is a little narrower, what I hear as more depth/height than width. In a contrast, Aeneid changes the technical performance of the bird. The soundstage is as wide, but the sound becomes tighter and faster, with sharper decay of the notes which results in blacker background. This change sharpens the tonality and takes the analog edge off it. I wouldn't say it is better or worse, just different, and to my ears stock cable sounds more laidback and analog while Aeneid gives the sound a faster toe-tapping digital edge.

So, if microphonics of stock PWA cable bothers you and you want a blacker background and similar tonality with close enough soundstage expansion, Aeneid is a good alternative. If you don't mind a slightly narrower soundstage while keeping the rest of the performance close enough, Iliad is a good choice.

I haven't heard PWA Orpheus, but as you know, that bad boy is $4.7k. There is another upcoming mega-kilo-buck cable I'm testing right now, but under gag order so can't talk about it yet (and you might want to skip that review when it is out so you won't get tempted).

Also, please keep in mind, I'm not talking about cables in general, but a specific pair up synergy with Traillii while using LPGT as my neutral reference source.

I’m feeling like there might be an incoming new TOTL Effect Audio cable on its way…

Jun 22, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #3,216 of 8,052
Whether or not you hear differences in sound between cables is not crazy. Spending $5000 on a cable is crazy.
Yes it most certainly is…the second part.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #3,217 of 8,052
Since many people upgrade cables, I was wondering if people are interested in upgraded internals too? Might just think about a maxed out internals version
That’s exactly what i told them on a tweet (i'm living in Japan so it's easy to have direct conversation to the supporter here).
Anw, it seems that you figured out how to make a superb version of the bird.

Jun 22, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #3,218 of 8,052
If microphonics of 1960 cable bothers you, there won't be any complaints about it with @Eric Chong Eletech Aeneid or Iliad :wink:

Btw, Aeneid pair up with Traillii is different than Iliad. Iliad has a similar (or close enough) tonality and technical performance as stock 1960 4w, except the soundstage is a little narrower, what I hear as more depth/height than width. In a contrast, Aeneid changes the technical performance of the bird. The soundstage is as wide, but the sound becomes tighter and faster, with sharper decay of the notes which results in blacker background. This change sharpens the tonality and takes the analog edge off it. I wouldn't say it is better or worse, just different, and to my ears stock cable sounds more laidback and analog while Aeneid gives the sound a faster toe-tapping digital edge.

So, if microphonics of stock PWA cable bothers you and you want a blacker background and similar tonality with close enough soundstage expansion, Aeneid is a good alternative. If you don't mind a slightly narrower soundstage while keeping the rest of the performance close enough, Iliad is a good choice.

I haven't heard PWA Orpheus, but as you know, that bad boy is $4.7k. There is another upcoming mega-kilo-buck cable I'm testing right now, but under gag order so can't talk about it yet (and you might want to skip that review when it is out so you won't get tempted).

Also, please keep in mind, I'm not talking about cables in general, but a specific pair up synergy with Traillii while using LPGT as my neutral reference source.

eletech-aeneid-15.jpg eletech-aeneid-16.jpg
This is both good news and bad news to me! When will the new cable review be out? Any chance this new cable is via MusicTeck?

Jun 22, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #3,219 of 8,052
This is both good news and bad news to me! When will the new cable review be out? Any chance this new cable is via MusicTeck?

Frankie, I'm not messing with you. The last time you read my Traillii review, you cursed me with indigestion lol!!!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #3,221 of 8,052
Not intended to initiate another notorious cable discussion, just curious if cables don't change anything, why Mr. Rao chose the 1960s as the stock cable? Swap the 1960s out for a $10 cable and the whole package will be more approachable and welcomed.
Pairing the Traillii with a $10 cable will only make it more attractive if the price drops to $4010. At which point Mr Rao would need to hire three more full time people to keep up with demand.
Dean Vang chose the same cable. He believes that the PW 1960s cable is the best in the market after having tested hundreds of cables. I would like to get to the bottom of this question once and for all, but that won't be today as it takes way too much effort and money to figure out.
Don't forget there are also business relationships, marketing and cross-promotions at play here. Not to cast any aspersions, but the most successful artisans are also those with a good business brain. That said, I personally feel the Cardas cables from PW Audio (1950s/60s) are among the best if not the best I've heard in all my time in audio, microphonics be damned, so he's not wrong.
Cables are a fun way to tweak or refine sound, but sometimes with certain IEMs they (in some cases) do not make much of a difference and are typically the worst ROI for SQ modifications.
For sure, and very good point that some IEMs take to cable changes better than others (and some ears hear the changes better than others too).
Mic drop on that one. I think we can all agree on this 100%, even the gang that spends $5000 on cables!

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #3,222 of 8,052
Pairing the Traillii with a $10 cable will only make it more attractive if the price drops to $4010. At which point Mr Rao would need to hire three more full time people to keep up with demand.
Fair point, but I don't think there would be any business owner who doesn't want to expand the business but instead hate the increasing demands.

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #3,223 of 8,052
Well, this finally arrived today… it’s been quite the wait. I’m going to try and keep this as hype-free as possible but I most definitely have a bias towards the R2R sound…

I f’n love this. I really think Cayin has tuned this better than the P6 Pro. The R01 is what I’d consider to be more balanced, whereas I kinda felt the P6 Pro had more of an emphasis on bass and mid range with the treble being smoothened out in comparison. As a result, I hear better treble presence on the R01, better extension, and to me.. it’s an overall better tonality. The Cayin easily retains the same analogue/natural/organic R2R sound that you’ll find from the P6 Pro and in my honest opinion I actually think it is better. It still possesses the same effortless dynamics/technicalities as the P6 Pro also but you don’t have the deal with the UI designed by 4 year olds. I think this is the end of the road for me as far as DAP rolling for the Traillii has come (🙏🏽). This is all from memory unfortunately so I’m looking forward to seeing the comparisons from people who have both, but assuming the P6 Pro is still a better SQ device, I cannot say the trade offs are even remotely close to worth it over the N6ii Ti/R01.

The main cons I can think of off the top of my head.. the DAP is a little heavy, like 360g or something, the WiFi on it isn’t as good as the DX300/R6 2020, and it doesn’t have one of the fancy Snapdragon 660 CPU’s that you’ll find in the DX300 or R6 2020 either, but the UI is more than snappy enough even being a 2 year old DAP.

06774AC1-B415-4737-A801-F7A80A02B0EA.jpeg4DBDE391-301A-44E0-8F14-F376DEFF66EB.jpeg

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #3,224 of 8,052
Well, this finally arrived today… it’s been quite the wait. I’m going to try and keep this as hype-free as possible but I most definitely have a bias towards the R2R sound…

I f’n love this. I really think Cayin has tuned this better than the P6 Pro. The R01 is what I’d consider to be more balanced, whereas I kinda felt the P6 Pro had more of an emphasis on bass and mid range with the treble being smoothened out in comparison. As a result, I hear better treble presence on the R01, better extension, and to me.. it’s an overall better tonality. The Cayin easily retains the same analogue/natural/organic R2R sound that you’ll find from the P6 Pro and in my honest opinion I actually think it is better. It still possesses the same effortless dynamics/technicalities as the P6 Pro also but you don’t have the deal with the UI designed by 4 year olds. I think this is the end of the road for me as far as DAP rolling for the Traillii has come (🙏🏽). This is all from memory unfortunately so I’m looking forward to seeing the comparisons from people who have both, but assuming the P6 Pro is still a better SQ device, I cannot say the trade offs are even remotely close to worth it over the N6ii Ti/R01.

The main cons I can think of off the top of my head.. the DAP is a little heavy, like 360g or something, the WiFi on it isn’t as good as the DX300/R6 2020, and it doesn’t have one of the fancy Snapdragon 660 CPU’s that you’ll find in the DX300 or R6 2020 either, but the UI is more than snappy enough even being a 2 year old DAP.

06774AC1-B415-4737-A801-F7A80A02B0EA.jpeg4DBDE391-301A-44E0-8F14-F376DEFF66EB.jpeg
Best news I've had all day! Now I'm REALLY looking forward to the next generation of full Android R2R DAPs! I think the next big step is definitely not an IEM upgrade, it's a source upgrade. Never thought I'd say that.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,225 of 8,052
Best news I've had all day! Now I'm REALLY looking forward to the next generation of full Android R2R DAPs! I think the next big step is definitely not an IEM upgrade, it's a source upgrade. Never thought I'd say that.
Definitely agree!
Therefore I am currently going for a R2R desktop setup in order to have a more longterm solution but will eagerly watch your reviews and look forward for next years 2nd gen devices

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back