Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 20, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #3,076 of 8,096
Thanks for this… I’ve been on the fence about going SP2k as I don’t feel like I’m getting the most out of Trailli with M8… :sweat_smile::thinking:
I haven't heard the plethora of (well) regarded chi-fi TOTL DAP's
However, the SP2K is a remarkable implementation of the AK4499 chips which we are unlikely to see again in the near future. I would rate the sound quality on par, if not better than the Hugo2 with the Trailii. Which one you prefer may be a personal preference. Suggest auditioning first. And note you will need a 4.4mm adapter. I personally have (and like) the Effect Audio one but the PWA option from Musicteck seems well regarded also.

The Cayin C9 opens up the soundstage and adds coloration to the otherwise neutral SP2k implementation. I enjoy the Trailii on the SP2K without the C9 but YMMV

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #3,077 of 8,096
Interesting indeed which DAPs are considered as the very best partners for the bird.
So far from my readings in this thread (ordering uncertain but I give it a try)
- LP6Pro
- SP2K
- R6 2020 (even better synergy than R8?)
- W2

ok but not best?
- M8

Not so good:
- M15

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #3,078 of 8,096
I haven't heard the plethora of (well) regarded chi-fi TOTL DAP's
However, the SP2K is a remarkable implementation of the AK4499 chips which we are unlikely to see again in the near future. I would rate the sound quality on par, if not better than the Hugo2 with the Trailii. Which one you prefer may be a personal preference. Suggest auditioning first. And note you will need a 4.4mm adapter. I personally have (and like) the Effect Audio one but the PWA option from Musicteck seems well regarded also.

The Cayin C9 opens up the soundstage and adds coloration to the otherwise neutral SP2k implementation. I enjoy the Trailii on the SP2K without the C9 but YMMV
Thanks the 2.5 is the part I hate the most. Also, I didn’t like SP1k very much so have a bit of bitter taste with AK. :sweat_smile:

Other day, I was looking at the adapters on Musicteck. There’s box style 60’s-internal adapter which looks reasonable. I assume that’s what you have. Pigtail looks nice too.

I’m not a fan of DD adapters. It just doesn’t make sense to go through ribbon cables when you have so much invested in cables…

Interesting indeed which DAPs are considered as the very best partners for the bird.
- LP6Pro
- SP2K
- W2

ok but not best?
- M8

Not so good:
- M15

I’m curious what people think SP2k vs P6Pro?

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,079 of 8,096
And I am curious about how good R6 2020 really is vs W2 to the low end and let's say DX300 to the next +1k stage

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #3,081 of 8,096
Thanks the 2.5 is the part I hate the most. Also, I didn’t like SP1k very much so have a bit of bitter taste with AK. :sweat_smile:

Other day, I was looking at the adapters on Musicteck. There’s box style 60’s-internal adapter which looks reasonable. I assume that’s what you have. Pigtail looks nice too.

I’m not a fan of DD adapters. It just doesn’t make sense to go through ribbon cables when you have so much invested in cables…

Haven’t heard the P6pro. I use the Effext Audio balanced adapter which is very sturdy and well made. The PWA 1960s adapter I have for the Hugo2.

The Hugo2 has a full, lusher presentation with a slight warmth to the low-mid and bass presentation. It would probably appeal to many. The SP2K is more technically neutral typical of the AK4499 chips. There’s more space and precision. Which is an unusual thing for me to say this over a Chord DAC. Only the TT2 does it better with the bird

Waiting for someone with the Dave to let me know how the bird sounds.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3,082 of 8,096

Too bad I have not received the bird, but based on the comparison done with my other IEMs, the sound from P6 Pro is at a different level.

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,083 of 8,096
- LP6Pro
- SP2K
- W2

ok but not best?
- M8

Not so good:
- M15
Went to the store for some listening. I forgot my adapter so no SP2k (noob).
I really liked the R8, giving more stage and musicality than the W2. The Lotoo paw gold touch sounded very similar to the R8 and I liked it more than I expected.

I was surprised to see the W2 not only out of stock in two stores but with no backorder options.

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #3,084 of 8,096
Waiting for someone with the Dave to let me know how the bird sounds.
Excellent... :) But I find the bird sounds good with all sources I have. The Dave produces hiss with sensitive IEMs like the Fourte. With the Bird it's negligible.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #3,085 of 8,096
Too bad I have not received the bird, but based on the comparison done with my other IEMs, the sound from P6 Pro is at a different level.
I prefer the lpgt to p6p. But for me UI of the p6p is a total deal-breaker anyway. Looking forward to their next release...

Hard at work on this lazy Sunday...Happy Father's Day!

a new trio.jpg

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #3,086 of 8,096
Anyone here tried Apple Music Lossless with the bird? Would be quite the interesting combination imo, they have some mastering magic going on making stuff silky.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3,087 of 8,096
The DX300 with Traillii is still superior to R6 2020 in its overall technicalities. With the R6 2020 I just find myself pushing play and not caring, straight enjoyment. The DX300 has me analyzing music more.
The R6 2020 has the perfect form factor for portable listening. I like how it feels in my hand as I walk around with it.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #3,088 of 8,096
And I am curious about how good R6 2020 really is vs W2 to the low end and let's say DX300 to the next +1k stage
I have both the R6 2020 and L&P W2. For sound quality, I prefer the W2 because it has a more clear and transparent sound. It still provides good bass response but does a much better job with resolution and clarity. The R6 has a deep bass response with less clarity. So, I prefer to listen to my Custom LX with the R6 2020 because it better gives me that bass head experience. For critical listening, I'd rather listen to the Bird + W2. Ergonomically, the R6 wins. I have a nice way to attach the W2 with velcro to my iPhone, but it is not as sturdy as my R6.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #3,089 of 8,096
I have both the R6 2020 and L&P W2. For sound quality, I prefer the W2 because it has a more clear and transparent sound. It still provides good bass response but does a much better job with resolution and clarity. The R6 has a deep bass response with less clarity. So, I prefer to listen to my Custom LX with the R6 2020 because it better gives me that bass head experience. For critical listening, I'd rather listen to the Bird + W2. Ergonomically, the R6 wins. I have a nice way to attach the W2 with velcro to my iPhone, but it is not as sturdy as my R6.
Very helpful, thx!

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #3,090 of 8,096
I'd really love to consolidate my gear.
Having like
1. one ultra portable bird setup - w2 (check)
2. one portable (office, business travel) combo - (that one is still floating, I was satisfied with M8 with previous IEM / can gear but also feel like bird is not maxed out, maybe successor of P6Pro next year?)
3. one TOTL (at least satisfying) desktop combo - (am working on that one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back