Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 6, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #2,551 of 8,024
Don’t think anyone is buying a Traillii solely for the purpose of getting rid of their headphones. They’re entirely different uses and purposes. That’s like comparing speakers to headphones, they’re simply not really comparable. It’s also been said multiple times that the Traillii in terms of IEMs does just about everything you could want. It’s not going to bring Legend X bass or anything like that. It’s about a total package without giving up much of anything.

There are a handful of IEMs that do certain aspects better, but there are none that I know of that can do everything to this level in one package.
There are posts on this thread that basically say that getting the Traillii and pairing it with a Chord Hugo TT2 means they don't need to buy a Susvara. If they want the Susvara experience, they aren't going to get it with the Traillii. They may not feel the need to go beyond the Traillii, but they are not indeed getting it.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,552 of 8,024
I know people on this thread don't want to admit it, but the best full sized headphones are better than the Traillii. And, after spending significant time now with the Traillii and A/B testing it with my other IEMs, it does not make other IEMs irrelevant either. Getting it does not end the acquisition and testing of other IEMs. Due to its cost, people may want to reduce the size of their collection, but almost everything I own complements the Traillii in some way.
Headphones are better in what regard? They each serve a different purpose.

I also don't think anyone thinks they make other IEM's irrelevant. I think it brings people the option to not have to own multiple IEM's for various genres since Traillii has nearly perfect tuning, imaging and stage. I still love my LX which retains a very high level of technical performance but at a different tonality and tuning emphasis.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,553 of 8,024
I have a Susvara with Bakoon AMP13R. I think the Bone Conduction on the Mason FS (on the genres of plucked strings, vocals and the like) makes music more enjoyable, intimate and visceral than any headphone I’ve heard.

Merely pushing air can not compete with how the Bone Conduction driver works with the Mason FS. However speakers are still the very best experience imho. Nothing beats those sound waves hitting your entire body haha
Sure, the Mason FS may be better at certain things, but it is certainly not better in every way than the Susvara.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #2,554 of 8,024
There are posts on this thread that basically say that getting the Traillii and pairing it with a Chord Hugo TT2 means they don't need to buy a Susvara. If they want the Susvara experience, they aren't going to get it with the Traillii. They may not feel the need to go beyond the Traillii, but they are not indeed getting it.

I see, well stuff like this doesn’t make sense to me. Headphones cannot do what IEMs can and vice versa. They’re designed for different uses, so I don’t really agree with those statements myself.

Also, the fact that an IEM gets compared to what is apparently regarded as the best headphone? That speaks enough about what is achieved here, whether it can mimic it or not, it’s still an amazing achievement.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #2,555 of 8,024
Sure, the Mason FS may be better at certain things, but it is certainly not better in every way than the Susvara.
What it does do in those genres make other gear (even Traillii) feel like I'm missing something. Like going from 3D to 2D. I think FS proves headphones are not categorically better than iems, they are different experiences and in some cases, iems can be even better.

You should demo these gears side by side as I have, the results speak for themselves.

edit: I don't think I said FS is better in every way...? Just in the genres I mentioned previously.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #2,557 of 8,024
Headphones are better in what regard? They each serve a different purpose.

I also don't think anyone thinks they make other IEM's irrelevant. I think it brings people the option to not have to own multiple IEM's for various genres since Traillii has nearly perfect tuning, imaging and stage. I still love my LX which retains a very high level of technical performance but at a different tonality and tuning emphasis.
Oh yes, people on this thread have said that if you get the Traillii, you don't need to get other IEMs and that it ruins the experience for other IEMs. That is not true at all. The Traillii is no different than any other IEM in that some people will prefer it and others will prefer other options. We just don't get those reports because we are a small group of like mind people and everyone else doesn't have an opportunity to even hear them. Some people even say that they haven't heard anyone who didn't like the Traillii. That's because the sample size is small. Of course there will be people who don't like it. It's inevitable.

I agree that the Headphone experience is different than the IEM experience. I've posted that a number of times. IEMs have the advantage of blackness of background and micro dynamics. Headphones have the advantage of sound stage and macrodynamics. I was listening to Classical Music with my HD800S and it is way better than Traillii for the music I was listening to by a large margin. I am not even saying that everyone will agree with my impressions. But, this is after all a subjective hobby. In today's Headphone Show, @Resolve had @crinnacle on the show. Both of them stated that TOTL headphones outperform IEMs and the reason is physics.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #2,558 of 8,024
It's obvious that for a lot here, after a certain point, chasing new gear has less to do with SQ and it's more about getting excited about something and getting some kind of rush in the head . Thinking about new ideas and experiences excites them and after a while the allure is not there anymore and the chase continues.
If for some reason comes a day when there's no more room for improvement ,many will feel that they're not that into music anymore and will get into other hobbies. Lol

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #2,559 of 8,024
I mean I can also say the sky is pink but it doesn’t mean it’s true. You’re looking way too deep into this and taking things far too literally. For someone like me personally, there isn’t a need for any other IEMs at the moment because none of them can do what the Traillii does for my preferences without some shortcomings, but I am probably a rare case here as I think I am the only person here who only owns a Traillii and nothing else.

This hobby is entirely based on preferences. The fact I can stick these in my pocket with my phone and an iPhone dongle and again, to my preferences, get a sound that out classes everything I have heard, makes it okay for me to get rid of other IEMs.

If I never did portable listening I would probably not be in the IEM section of the forums and the Traillii probably wouldn’t interest me.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #2,560 of 8,024
Oh yes, people on this thread have said that if you get the Traillii, you don't need to get other IEMs and that it ruins the experience for other IEMs. That is not true at all. The Traillii is no different than any other IEM in that some people will prefer it and others will prefer other options. We just don't get those reports because we are a small group of like mind people and everyone else doesn't have an opportunity to even hear them. Some people even say that they haven't heard anyone who didn't like the Traillii. That's because the sample size is small.
Quick, flock members! We have a rogue who’s pooping on our sanctuary bird kingdom.

Jokes aside-I’d love to hear another IEM that’s has had this longevity and consistent unanimous praise.

As for Traillii ruining other IEMs, you can’t state it’s true or even not true. Subjective as hell by individual use case-but for myself and several others, I sold off other summit-fi IEMs and TOTLs with ease since I felt I was downgrading for my preferences by going to my other IEMs- so an easy win for me. Each to their own

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #2,561 of 8,024
Oh yes, people on this thread have said that if you get the Traillii, you don't need to get other IEMs and that it ruins the experience for other IEMs. That is not true at all. The Traillii is no different than any other IEM in that some people will prefer it and others will prefer other options. We just don't get those reports because we are a small group of like mind people and everyone else doesn't have an opportunity to even hear them. Some people even say that they haven't heard anyone who didn't like the Traillii. That's because the sample size is small. Of course there will be people who don't like it. It's inevitable.

I agree that the Headphone experience is different than the IEM experience. I've posted that a number of times. IEMs have the advantage of blackness of background and micro dynamics. Headphones have the advantage of sound stage and macrodynamics. I was listening to Classical Music with my HD800S and it is way better than Traillii for the music I was listening to by a large margin. I am not even saying that everyone will agree with my impressions. But, this is after all a subjective hobby. In today's Headphone Show, @Resolve had @crinnacle on the show. Both of them stated that TOTL headphones outperform IEMs and the reason is physics.
My overall view would be:
TOTL Speakers ( including rest of the setup ) > TOTL HP’s ( again, proper amp, etc) > IEM’s.

That said, I do like the sound of all of them. Yes 2-channel for me is the king, but if you need to travel, or cannot play it without bothering the family, HP’s and IEM’s are great!

I do think the Traillii obviates the need for many other IEM’s. There is always room for complimentary IEM’s, but they do allow you to sell some others if you wish. I usually keep them, but there are many times I ask why ( oh yeah, because some of mine are customs😟). We will always get more anyway, so if anyone dropped down to one, I am not sure how long that would last!

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #2,562 of 8,024
My overall view would be:
TOTL Speakers ( including rest of the setup ) > TOTL HP’s ( again, proper amp, etc) > IEM’s.

That said, I do like the sound of all of them. Yes 2-channel for me is the king, but if you need to travel, or cannot play it without bothering the family, HP’s and IEM’s are great!

I do think the Traillii obviates the need for many other IEM’s. There is always room for complimentary IEM’s, but they do allow you to sell some others if you wish. I usually keep them, but there are many times I ask why ( oh yeah, because some of mine are customs😟). We will always get more anyway, so if anyone dropped down to one, I am not sure how long that would last!
Considering our addictions (let's face it), we will most likely adopt new IEMs, convincing ourselves they complement the bird to justify it :)
And it is true. The more I listen to the Traillii, the least I think it is "the best" but I just consider it is the one that represent my music the way I like it the most.

However, I kinda disagree with the Speaker then HP then IEM. Even if I have the opportunity to use any of the three, I will choose depending of how I want to hear the music as they present it differently. But I will not consider the Bird below the Susvara, they are different. They both excel at what they do.
That said, I agree with the science which explains why a speaker is better.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #2,563 of 8,024

Well to your first point, some of it may be not meant literally. Although, I can completely see how the Traillii could in fact ruin other IEM's for someone. Doesn't necessarily mean all other IEM's but it may ruin quite a few. It doesn't mean those other IEM's are bad... it may just mean the Traillii exposed something in the FR you can't un-hear anymore with those IEM's. It's relatable in quite a few hobbies. When something comes along and elevates you to the next level, the previous level is hard pressed to please you. Devaluation is a thing.

Quick example... I have the Fourte on loan right now. Every.. single... time.. I go from the Traillii to the Fourte, I immediately recognize where it's lacking. Every time I put in the Fourte fresh for the day, I still pick up on the wonky tonality where it exists. Had I not heard Traillii, I can't say for sure I would recognize this as easily. That being said, I still appreciate what the Fourte offers and it sounds great. In reality though, would I want to retain a $3500 IEM that I no longer appreciate as much and wouldn't listen to as often? Not personally.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #2,564 of 8,024
would I want to retain a $3500 IEM that I no longer appreciate as much and wouldn't listen to as often? Not personally.

And this is literally my exact mindset behind selling every other IEM I had. I’m not keeping thousands of dollars worth of headphones just for the sake of variety if there’s obvious and glaring shortcomings about them that make the listening experience less enjoyable. Obviously, there are sacrifices I made too. I no longer own an apex/vented IEM, I no longer have a CIEM, I no longer have bass monster in the Legend X… but I also recuperated the cost of the Traillii back and it was a trade off I was 100% okay making. Not everyone will be the same obviously.

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #2,565 of 8,024

Hmmmm I wouldn't take Resolve/Crin's sweeping statements at face value just yet. If they haven't heard Mason FS/Fusang, they are working with an incomplete test set.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by speakers, but I place very high value on tactility of the music or 'feeling the sound'. This is characterized by the sensation of sound waves hitting your body, giving you a life like experience. Traditional iem/headphone design is fundamentally a step back from speakers. It's a driver array that pushes air into your ear, without sound wave tactility.

Bone Conduction changes this. It propagates vibration in a novel way. It actually reintroduces the extra dimensionality I get from speakers. There is a reason why I've been saying FS is a different beast from nearly every other gear. It introduces new sensations that air-pushing drivers mounted an inch or closer from the ear drum can't reproduce. This is genuinely a new chapter for personal audio and headphones can't reproduce this (yet).

The power of physics :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• SUBA
Back