Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Dec 21, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #436 of 736
Using iBasso DX160,Shanling M3X & Hiby R5II gen as daps goes.... will this monitor reveal its true possibilities ????
May be under powered. Even on my M8 in turbo mode, it... I wouldn't say it 'struggles', but these need power. Really only on a desktop does the SZA really come alive to its fullest.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #437 of 736
Using iBasso DX160,Shanling M3X & Hiby R5II gen as daps goes.... will this monitor reveal its true possibilities ????
Prob not. SZA needs headphone amp and really good dac to reveal its musicality with details and no blurring at any frequency with thunderous bass. I'm using Microzotal tube amp through Tradutto..it will sound good through Daps but not have enough dynamic power to really sing and sound LIVE

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #438 of 736
Prob not. SZA needs headphone amp and really good dac to reveal its musicality with details and no blurring at any frequency with thunderous bass. I'm using Microzotal tube amp through Tradutto..it will sound good through Daps but not have enough dynamic power to really sing and sound LIVE
Well said.

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #439 of 736
May be under powered. Even on my M8 in turbo mode, it... I wouldn't say it 'struggles', but these need power. Really only on a desktop does the SZA really come alive to its fullest.
Thank both of you guys for your quick answers....
Hiby R5 Gen II uses a class A amp circuit and I also own a HUM Hypno (class A) iem amp as well....
But despite those facts.... based on your much appreciated opinions here, as much as I want to get this monitor I won't do it. Seems like this set isn't meant to bring out the juice through a casual portable rig.
Thanks again both...

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #440 of 736
Yep meant for desktop top performance.,SZA achieves
Total level experience when properly fed and amped. I feel no need for any other iem on my desktop now.
For portable use with my MK6 ultra
I use Bravery SE which is a very good set needing less power, or use dongle with phone and Waitan Zu planar iem...

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #441 of 736
Yep meant for desktop top performance.,SZA achieves
Total level experience when properly fed and amped. I feel no need for any other iem on my desktop now.
For portable use with my MK6 ultra
I use Bravery SE which is a very good set needing less power, or use dongle with phone and Waitan Zu planar iem...
I love Dr.Blue's avatar!

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #442 of 736
Hey guys I just got the Sza and have been reading thru comments about power needed.

If you think these really need a desktop what would you recommend as a good pairing ? What desktop examples?
On a budget is there anything portable that would work was well?
Thanks for any info anyone wants to contribute.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #443 of 736
Hey guys I just got the Sza and have been reading thru comments about power needed.

If you think these really need a desktop what would you recommend as a good pairing ? What desktop examples?
SZA loves tubes! I use Microzotl headphone amp. But less expensive will prob work.

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #445 of 736

What's your budget?

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #447 of 736
Its really for future reference.
Below a grand.
Desktop something you really need to consider with these?
The SZA sounds fine and dandy on my M8 in turbo mode. It sounds better on my desktop. That's all, don't over think it.

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #448 of 736
I love my Schiit Jotunheim, You can get that for $400 and a Bitfrost dac...total will be $1,200...a little over your budget but I have heard a lot of good things about the Bitfrost (tho I never heard it myself. My system is a Denefrips Ares 2 and a Jot2 and I'm good to go. May be worth it for you to spend the extra 200 fish. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back