Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Jul 6, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #1,621 of 1,871
Just came across this video that has a brief look at Percivali. I don’t remember seeing it in this thread. Around 3:10.

It’s interesting he mentioned the separation between the lower mids and bass. I have written before about that this is something I love about the Oriolus MK2. It’s great (and rare) how they achieved this even though midbass is strong. Must be a speciality of the general Oriolus tuning.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #1,622 of 1,871
Yes, you understood me correctly. I don't really care about Bluetooth. I've read some people getting a noteable "hiss" on xdsd with "sensitive" iems. And if I got everything right, mk2 are "sensitive". Please, correct me if I'm misinformed.

Thank you for your answer.

As you can see in my signature, me, too, I am using this combination. No hiss here! ☺️ I would not consider Oriolus as sensitive. Used an Andromeda before. That was a completely different story - yes, there was hiss...but with actually most devices.
And concerning Bluetooth: I was not a big Bluetooth fan either. But I have changed my opinion since XDSD. I also have used a Mojo before. SQ is nice, but it is not half as convenient and versatile as XDSD.Of course that depends on people...

You are welcome!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,624 of 1,871
Hello. I need an advice.

Source: lg g6 (quad dac ver.)
Iem: mk2
Cable: stock (not a pw one)
Wtb: mojo(300$)/xdsd(450$)/FiiO Q5 with am05(450$).
Music: female vocals, slow, darker tone. I'm sorry, not a musician, tried to describe as I could.

Question: which one and does it worth it? Mojo for 300 probably worth it in any way, but main thing is sound quality. Ignore the price.

Thank you in advance.

Your question on - Wtb: mojo(300$)/xdsd(450$)/FiiO Q5 with am05(450$)

To me I will do this instead, since i am adding a extra component to what I have I might as well add a DAP instead. Your bottleneck to your Oriolus is the LG as a source

The audio in your LG is flac or just online from the internet ?

#Free your mobile audio task in case it run out of battery as you may have urgent calls coming in.

#The DAP will definately sound better then your current LG

#Imagine your LG rings and it is "Rigged" with one of this mojo(300$)/xdsd(450$)/FiiO Q5 with am05(450$) in your setup. The hassle you face trying to pick the call and a simple setup not "Rigged" as it is totally separated

Think carefully of other options and mapped yourself to all kind of scenario to get the best of it.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #1,625 of 1,871
Your question on - Wtb: mojo(300$)/xdsd(450$)/FiiO Q5 with am05(450$)

To me I will do this instead, since i am adding a extra component to what I have I might as well add a DAP instead. Your bottleneck to your Oriolus is the LG as a source

The audio in your LG is flac or just online from the internet ?

#Free your mobile audio task in case it run out of battery as you may have urgent calls coming in.

#The DAP will definately sound better then your current LG

#Imagine your LG rings and it is "Rigged" with one of this mojo(300$)/xdsd(450$)/FiiO Q5 with am05(450$) in your setup. The hassle you face trying to pick the call and a simple setup not "Rigged" as it is totally separated

Think carefully of other options and mapped yourself to all kind of scenario to get the best of it.

I appreciate your suggestion, but would you mind to elaborate on the subject of why would source even affect anything? I don't understand the process of the whole conversion/path of the signal really well, but why would source even matter in this case?

To answer your question: my media library is 99% flac. The rest is on the phone as well. I never use any streaming services. On your concern about battery life - I'd listen only on the way to work and back home. It's an hour a day at maximum. Battery is not an issue.

I'm not considering dap due to the much higher cost to get the same quality of the beforementioned devices. Rare updates and not a very good OS implementation, slow behaviour, etc. on the most daps is also an issue. I may be mistaken, but that is what I grasped so far. I can find FiiO x7 mkii for the same price, but Q5 is completely the same, but cheaper and there is no hassle with software. The most affordable for me would be iriver ak100, but I've read it's worse in the sound quality. I've been looking into the ibasso dx220, but it's way out of my budget. I'm now considering ifi micro black label, but not entirely certain.

Thank you very much for your response.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,626 of 1,871
Redey,

Is more of what you require and your ears listening requirement.

how far and at what depth you are into audio.

Why did you want to add mojo(300$)/xdsd(450$)/FiiO Q5 with am05(450$) ?

I assume that you find the audio sounding is not to great

Looking at the setup I can define clearly that LG is the bottleneck unless I am a total screw up in understanding of audio, haha

Your initial intention is to add a component to your current setup.

Just add a new Apple IPOD as ithe pricing is quite reasonable and you have a audio setup. IOS update not a issue too since you are concern about DAP updates.

Just go Apple store to try out with your just your Oriolus. Easy and handy.

To me, I will not "RIGGED" if I want to go "Portable"

You are paying for it so you decide and respect your decision.

regards

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #1,627 of 1,871
Redey,

Is more of what you require and your ears listening requirement.

how far and at what depth you are into audio.

Why did you want to add mojo(300$)/xdsd(450$)/FiiO Q5 with am05(450$) ?

I assume that you find the audio sounding is not to great

Looking at the setup I can define clearly that LG is the bottleneck unless I am a total screw up in understanding of audio, haha

Your initial intention is to add a component to your current setup.

Just add a new Apple IPOD as ithe pricing is quite reasonable and you have a audio setup. IOS update not a issue too since you are concern about DAP updates.

Just go Apple store to try out with your just your Oriolus. Easy and handy.

To me, I will not "RIGGED" if I want to go "Portable"

You are paying for it so you decide and respect your decision.

regards
Oh, now I understand what you meant. I'd think about it. Thank you.

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,628 of 1,871
I agree with @freddychin , stacking a phone with a portable DAC/AMP may sound good, but the cost is inconvenience and more challenging pocket-ability. Getting calls, even notifications can interrupt your listening experience. Something like the Hiby R3 with music on it (sd card) can be controlled by your smartphone, but the files reside on the R3, and it won't interrupt you if you get a call or text. You can get them used/ open box for $150 ish.

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #1,629 of 1,871
Thank you for your input. As I said, most of the time I'll be listening at home - only about an hour outside/portable use. But you made me to think about reconsidering my choice. What can you recommend in this case under 500$? 700$ at maximum, if it will be really worth it. Used is totally ok, if not preferable.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #1,630 of 1,871
oh, well, if you have a bigger budget, there are lots of choices. I really loved the synergy with ibasso amp 7 and my oriolus mk 2. A DX150 with amp 7 is right in your price range.

Actually, I'm listening to this dap with meze rai penta right now and it's righteous! Amp7 and dynamic drivers is real magic.

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #1,631 of 1,871
oh, well, if you have a bigger budget, there are lots of choices. I really loved the synergy with ibasso amp 7 and my oriolus mk 2. A DX150 with amp 7 is right in your price range.

Actually, I'm listening to this dap with meze rai penta right now and it's righteous! Amp7 and dynamic drivers is real magic.

Can you kindly comment on any impression of Rai Penta vs Oriolus Mk2? I've been curious for it's smaller size and looking for touch more treble than Oriolus.

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #1,632 of 1,871
Ah, indeed. The MK2 was the ones with cracking issues. I was trying to dig it out the other day.
Never got to hear the MK1 myself. Sounds like an interesting tuning. Did you get to try it with a PW5 too?
I several seen Mk II's posted in the FS with cracking issues after being dropped (claimed single drops, too!).

So the Mk II is probably not the IEM for me, as I drop EVERYTHING, although I'd like to try one .. I currently have the Hyla TE-5B (CE would probably be a slightly better choice for me), and I believe the Mk II has the vocal mids that the 5B has misplaced :D

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #1,633 of 1,871
Can you kindly comment on any impression of Rai Penta vs Oriolus Mk2? I've been curious for it's smaller size and looking for touch more treble than Oriolus.

I can't say Rai Penta has more treble overall . It definitely has more lower treble, especially between 6 and 8khz. Perhaps Rai has a little more in the top octave but it's hard to tell after the rise in lower treble.

It also has lower mids and upper bass, two areas I found the mk2 lacking. To me, Rai Penta bass performance is much better than mk2. This is where it shines. Bass has rumble and punch, whereas the mk2 was rumble mostly. Also the mids on Rai Penta are very well done, lower and especially upper mids. Just sits perfect with the bass for my tastes. Treble is energetic with wide bore silicone but focused more on lower treble crunch and percussion strikes vs upper treble air and shimmer.

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,634 of 1,871
Thank you for your input. As I said, most of the time I'll be listening at home - only about an hour outside/portable use. But you made me to think about reconsidering my choice. What can you recommend in this case under 500$? 700$ at maximum, if it will be really worth it. Used is totally ok, if not preferable.

Thank you in advance!

I have a brand new AK 70 that I’m putting up for sale. I liked it so much with my Oriolus and Solaris that I picked up a Kann. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks, so it is virtually brand new.

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #1,635 of 1,871
I can't say Rai Penta has more treble overall . It definitely has more lower treble, especially between 6 and 8khz. Perhaps Rai has a little more in the top octave but it's hard to tell after the rise in lower treble.

It also has lower mids and upper bass, two areas I found the mk2 lacking. To me, Rai Penta bass performance is much better than mk2. This is where it shines. Bass has rumble and punch, whereas the mk2 was rumble mostly. Also the mids on Rai Penta are very well done, lower and especially upper mids. Just sits perfect with the bass for my tastes. Treble is energetic with wide bore silicone but focused more on lower treble crunch and percussion strikes vs upper treble air and shimmer.

Thanks that's good info! Definitely one of the next ones to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back