Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Jul 5, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #781 of 1,871
Jul 9, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #782 of 1,871
Did someone listened to the new Oriolus BA10 (OAK) tube amp ? can he share listening impression ? I am considering it for my new A&K SP1000 DAP....

thanks in advance

Oriolus_BA10_01.jpg

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #784 of 1,871
Did someone listened to the new Oriolus BA10 (OAK) tube amp ? can he share listening impression ? I am considering it for my new A&K SP1000 DAP....

thanks in advance

I did like 9 months ago. Was a pre-production unit, so....things might have changed.
Okay, so the one I tried was just hands down the best portable amp I ever tried.
It is probably also the second biggest and heaviest right after the ifi-audio portable ones....nice buildquality and design though.
Anyway, thanks to the tubes (no matter how tiny they are) you can expect some quality tube amp sound with improved soundstage and instrument separation.
Would have definitely pre-ordered one by now, if I wasn't so opposed to carrying a portable stack around.

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #785 of 1,871
I did like 9 months ago. Was a pre-production unit, so....things might have changed.
Okay, so the one I tried was just hands down the best portable amp I ever tried.
It is probably also the second biggest and heaviest right after the ifi-audio portable ones....nice buildquality and design though.
Anyway, thanks to the tubes (no matter how tiny they are) you can expect some quality tube amp sound with improved soundstage and instrument separation.
Would have definitely pre-ordered one by now, if I wasn't so opposed to carrying a portable stack around.

THANKS for your feed back. I will order their amp to try with my A&K SP1000 SS to warm-up a little it's sound signature.

Like you I promised myself not to carry anymore multiple pcs stacks, but... since the BA10 has exactly the same footprint than the SP1000... it will not look as ugly as with the other amps :grimacing:.

PS : any idea how to purchase the Oriolus BA10 (OAK) from Europe ? will they ship in Europe or have an European distributor ?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #786 of 1,871
I just auditioned a few iem together with the ori mk2 and ori forsteni.

I am using my phone as source.

ori mk2 (first time listening)
-pros : transparent sounding and spacious, good depth, nice sub bass, good fit and seal, everything is just very nice and natural
-cons : nothing special (not really a con because it is good at everything), the mid is stagnant or static or not spacious enough? (opposite of layla) , base can be a little too boomy (sometimes)

ori forsteni (first time listening)
-pros : spacious compared to other iem (not as spacious as mk2 but close)
-cons : slight shouty and sibilant, bass not as good as mk2, doesnt fit as well as mk2

angie (second time listening)
-pros : wider than mk2 but not as deep, more controlled bass compared to mk2 (you can control it...), more soulful than mk2 (makes you cry)
-cons : less layered and transparent compared to mk2, fit and seal not as good as mk2. (a little too deep into my ears for me)

layla (first time listening)
-pros : most accurate bass, and spacious and layered mid
-cons : the mid is too close (feels kinda weird to me), too expensive and exotic

etymotic er4xr (first time listening)
-pros : if you really want to spend money on something that sound completely different...
-cons : it doesnt fit and doesnt seal (i really dont know how to wear this thing), it has no bass and sounded like a very loose iem... (maybe my ear canal is not deep or straight enough)

ie800 (first time listening)
-pros : if you really want to spend money on something that sound completely different...
-cons : bass overpowered sub bass, everything sounded off..., too small.. (for me)

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #787 of 1,871

-pros : transparent sounding and spacious, good depth, nice sub bass, good fit and seal, everything is just very nice and natural
-cons : nothing special (not really a con because it is good at everything), the mid is stagnant or static or not spacious enough? (opposite of layla) , base can be a little too boomy (sometimes)

-cons : slight shouty and sibilant, bass not as good as mk2, doesnt fit as well as mk2

-pros : wider than mk2 but not as deep, more controlled bass compared to mk2 (you can control it...), more soulful than mk2 (makes you cry)
-cons : less layered and transparent compared to mk2, fit and seal not as good as mk2. (a little too deep into my ears for me)

-cons : the mid is too close (feels kinda weird to me), too expensive and exotic

-cons : it doesnt fit and doesnt seal (i really dont know how to wear this thing), it has no bass and sounded like a very loose iem... (maybe my ear canal is not deep or straight enough)

-cons : bass overpowered sub bass, everything sounded off..., too small.. (for me)

My impressions of the Oriolus, Angie, Layla, IE800 are very similar to yours.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #788 of 1,871
the ori mk2 i auditioned comes with silver cable. (not no5 or the 6n)

i think closed iem has like limited soundstage. (i tried the isines and they sounded like good headphones and with isolation closed to none... so i wont even consider them as an iem..)

layla has a very layered mid but the limited soundstage made it sounds disproportional.

lola actually fixes that i think. it has this tall and transparent sound but still kinda weird.

the slightly pushed back (not in your face) vocal of the ori mk2 gives it a very even and spherical sound stage which makes almost every genre sounds natural.

a very good headphone will have mids like layla but with a much larger sound stage so that the sound is coherent (we wont feel that in your face vocal) and it also needs to have like a very good decay like the angie for the soulfulness aspect.

i still looking for 64 tia forte to audition though...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #789 of 1,871

the ori mk2 i auditioned comes with silver cable. (not no5 or the 6n)

i think closed iem has like limited soundstage. (i tried the isines and they sounded like good headphones and with isolation closed to none... so i wont even consider them as an iem..)

layla has a very layered mid but the limited soundstage made it sounds disproportional.

lola actually fixes that i think. it has this tall and transparent sound but still kinda weird.

the slightly pushed back (not in your face) vocal of the ori mk2 gives it a very even and spherical sound stage which makes almost every genre sounds natural.

a very good headphone will have mids like layla but with a much larger sound stage so that the sound is coherent (we wont feel that in your face vocal) and it also needs to have like a very good decay like the angie for the soulfulness aspect.

i still looking for 64 tia forte to audition though...
Thanks for sharing your impression. Very interesting.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #793 of 1,871
My cat just chewed my stock cable off :confounded:

Does anyone have any recommendations for Oriolus replacement cables (< $200)? Other than PW audio no 5. Liked that one but would like to hear other suggestions. Gonna pair this up with Fiio X5 3rd gen

Attachments

• IMG_9022.JPG
    IMG_9022.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #795 of 1,871
My cat just chewed my stock cable off :confounded:

Does anyone have any recommendations for Oriolus replacement cables (< $200)? Other than PW audio no 5. Liked that one but would like to hear other suggestions. Gonna pair this up with Fiio X5 3rd gen
https://www.westone.com/store/music...epic-2-pin-replacement-cables-black-64-inches
Durable, very flexible and no microphonics. Does everything a cable should do.
No, I don not think cables can change the sound unless they are super poorly made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back