Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Apr 21, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #766 of 1,871

Sound impressions:
Compared to stock, the No.5 cable adds a bit of note richness and fullness to the music. Notes are rounded off gently, with a tiny bit more lingering decay. For me this is more noticeable in bass and treble. For mids and vocals, the bit of grain in the stock cable is lost. This makes the mids and vocals sweeter, smoother, more engaging and enchanting. This complements the already sweet-ish tuning of the Oriolus mk2 very well. Imaging, I hear slightly better distinction in the centre, especially in terms of height. L/R and depth imaging is more or less the same.

Now where the stock cable excels, is the airiness to the sound it brings. With a relatively shorter decay, note separation and blackness is more readily apparent. So you get a better sense of spaciousness with stock. Please do note that the above differences affect like 5-10% of the overall sound. The Oriolus is already masterfully tuned.

Conclusion:
For day-to-day use, the ergonomics and comfort level of the No.5 alone put it ahead of stock. Sound-wise, I believe both have their place. The richness/immersiveness of No.5 versus the airiness of stock. Is it worth the extra dosh? Being a soundstage/air nut, initially I said no. But over time the No.5 has won me over as well, more so the aesthetics. It just looks very classy.

just one question which one sound brighter stock or PW No5. I tried the Oriolus 2 times and I've found them bright (anyone else may find them perfect,we are different), wanna know if the PW no5 can tame the brightness.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #768 of 1,871
just one question which one sound brighter stock or PW No5. I tried the Oriolus 2 times and I've found them bright (anyone else may find them perfect,we are different), wanna know if the PW no5 can tame the brightness.
i had the stock cable (silver), and i find them bright. After change the cable into copper, waaay much better. Sounds warmer, a bit forward vocal and richer. That was the first time i believe in cable.

May 29, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #769 of 1,871
Ok so while we're waiting for the Mellianus to come (who knows when?). I've made a little comparison between Oriolus 2 and the Unique Melody Mason 2 since both of these IEMs have a few similarities IMO. Oriolus 2, has one of my favourite kind of dynamic bass. It has the right amount of rumble/strength, and its frequency extends quite deep. The Unique Melody Mason 2 on the other hand, astonished me with its BA bass quality. Although it doesn't rumble that powerfully as the Oriolus 2, the bass depth/extension reaches quite similarly. For the value Oriolus 2 is a great IEM that doesn't have much to complain about. It's true I think according to my experience that the Oriolus 2 can compete with many IEMs multiple times more expensive. Highly recommended for those starting to go down the path of TOTL IEM :)

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/unique-melody-mason-2.22391/reviews#review-18609

Oriolus 2 ($800, Hybrid; 1 DD x Low, 1 BA x Low, 1 BA x Mid, 1 BA x High) :

Both IEMs have an overall smooth, and clear tonality. Oriolus 2 has a smaller stage dimension in comparison. Which is mainly due to its warmth, and note size. The MASON 2 on the other hand, has a cleaner, more transparent background. Mainly as a result of its resolution, and clarity.

They both present a rather warm atmosphere, with rich, and dynamic sound. The Oriolus 2 has a weightier note size due to its larger bass. This makes for a more engaging, fun listen with some genres.

The instrument notes are both relatively full-bodied. Oriolus 2 however has less space in their layering, and separation. Creating a more crowded, less coherent stage.

Bass is pretty similar for both IEMs. Depth is almost equal. Surprising; given their different driver configuration (i.e. DD x BA). Oriolus 2 still, has slightly more impact width from its dynamic driver. Albeit with the expense of less control, and slower decay/transient. You can feel the reverberation and its interaction with the stage. The Oriolus 2 has a voluptuous bass that you can feel rumbling. While Mason 2 has a quicker bass, with finer resolution.

Midrange are both pretty natural, smooth, and clear. The MASON 2 with its tonality, and resolution. While the Oriolus 2 with its warmth, and attenuated upper-mid. Oriolus 2 has a slightly warmer air, and less-detail. The MASON 2 is more tonally accurate.

They both have a lift in the upper-mid frequency. With Oriolus 2 a sharper one, and MASON 2 a gentler one. Sensitive listeners may find the Oriolus 2 upper-mid a bit overwhelming sometimes (e.g. cymbal, snares).

MASON 2's treble extension is longer in comparison. This creates an airier stage that is more transparent than Oriolus 2. The Oriolus 2 has a peakier, more fatiguing treble that is not as forgiving as MASON 2.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #770 of 1,871
I started having serious issues with the construction quality of the shells on Oriolus MK2.

A month back accidentally one of the IEM (right side) fell on the floor and a piece of the shell cracked open. Luckily, I was able to put the piece of the broken shell back with superglue as the fit on the crack was perfect.Now just today I am seeing a very long hairline crack on the left side ear piece. The shells seems to be very brittle and only some time before they start developing more cracks.

It's a Pity because these sound so good. But for the price, the quality is a big bummer.

May 30, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #771 of 1,871
I started having serious issues with the construction quality of the shells on Oriolus MK2.

A month back accidentally one of the IEM (right side) fell on the floor and a piece of the shell cracked open. Luckily, I was able to put the piece of the broken shell back with superglue as the fit on the crack was perfect.Now just today I am seeing a very long hairline crack on the left side ear piece. The shells seems to be very brittle and only some time before they start developing more cracks.

It's a Pity because these sound so good. But for the price, the quality is a big bummer.
Wow, what a bummer.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #772 of 1,871
Oh look what finally decided to show up!
193334.jpg

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #774 of 1,871
Love at first sight. What a beauty :) And how patient you've been, haha
Definitely worth the wait! Amazing IEM.
But now I need a new DAP since I can finally hear the hiss that so many other iBasso DX50 users are talking about :|
What do you guys recommend?
The Oriolus would certainly benefit from something more on the neutral side. I thought about getting a DX90 with Rockbox.

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #775 of 1,871
Definitely worth the wait! Amazing IEM.
But now I need a new DAP since I can finally hear the hiss that so many other iBasso DX50 users are talking about :|
What do you guys recommend?
The Oriolus would certainly benefit from something more on the neutral side. I thought about getting a DX90 with Rockbox.
It would. In my experience with FiiO X5III (rather warm player), it makes the stage feel a bit congested, and its tone dark. The Oriolus has already a powerful bass, so you won't have to worry losing some of it with a neutral. airier player. The Aune M1s SQ is good, but the M2 is better IMO due to its higher transparency and tonal accuracy. They don't have rockbox or many other features though. But the Aune boot very fast (2-3 seconds), before playing. Compared to X5III (30-90 seconds). I'm currently waiting for the 'Nuansa P1' player from Revamp Acoustics, Indonesia. The next batch order/pre-order will be available this end of June, and priced around 300 USD. It has even less features than the Aune, but some said the sound quality is really good. I cannot recommend it yet, but I will buy one for my collection since they're very limited.

IMG_B1-3.jpg

RA Nuansa P1

9978.jpg

Oriolus DP100

There is also DP100 from Oriolus. I tried once in Singapore, they're priced 700 SGD. The SQ is pretty good, I like it better than Opus #1 or #2. Neutral, smooth, and slightly warm. The UI however, terrible.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #776 of 1,871
Do you have any idea where I could have my Oriolus repaired? The right earpiece has fallen from my height and is broken. I tried to contact Mini Audio but no response. Thank you

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #777 of 1,871
Jun 21, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #778 of 1,871

Users who are viewing this thread

Back