Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Dec 21, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #916 of 1,871
OK, just bought Oriolus MK2 Chinese version from one of the fellow headfiers ad I'm looking forward to hear them and compare with S-EM9, Prophile 8 and Xelento. Now, being the chinese version I read that the cable is different sounding and not as comfortable as the PW Audio no.5. There's any online site in Europe which would sell the PW Audio no.5 for the Oriolus (or any headfier who would like to sell his cable) :)? Unfortunately I cannot purchase from outside Europe.
Any other cables which would sound similar to the PW Audio no.5 and with good ergonomics (maybe the AE Ares II would be similar)? Thanks!! :D

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #917 of 1,871
they cameth today with the pw5 .. so fast

my impressions thus far.

First off , nothing wow am lost to what I am supposed to be hearing?,

Secondly.... I am happy with the treble as it sounds like the Jupiter just tamed down perfectly :) (treble would be the redeeming factor if all else fails post brain burn in)
I am thinking the mids are 846esque
I am thinking this bass sounds "cusioned" and slowwwwww

Thirdly.... After coming back to them for a more decent listen am convinced that these are not just the try hard jack of all trades but more so the masters of balance and musicality, comparing them to earlier iem memories and current Jupiter's
I am finding the sound stage to be as not "stage" but more of a wall or an old school deep sea diving helmet, filled with music instead of air -a far cry from the croquet field of the Jupiter's and blank a4 page of the 846 and umpro50 , I believe this to be a result of a tall bulbous mid section, I could be wrong but this is where i am getting sucked into the most

Currently.... If there was an iem I have owned that as far away from being analytical and more towards enjoyable, this would be it.. previous impressions are culled down too about the top 1 percent.

Future ... prolly some pics and more self forfilled gushing, will be off to enjoy now...

Cool comparisons man. Fidget with tips too, I had to dig my stash so get a balance between that bass and more air. Even separation gets affected with the tips I'm using.

I'm gonna have get an upgrade cable because mine had to replaced.

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #918 of 1,871
OK, just bought Oriolus MK2 Chinese version from one of the fellow headfiers ad I'm looking forward to hear them and compare with S-EM9, Prophile 8 and Xelento. Now, being the chinese version I read that the cable is different sounding and not as comfortable as the PW Audio no.5. There's any online site in Europe which would sell the PW Audio no.5 for the Oriolus (or any headfier who would like to sell his cable) :)? Unfortunately I cannot purchase from outside Europe.
Any other cables which would sound similar to the PW Audio no.5 and with good ergonomics (maybe the AE Ares II would be similar)? Thanks!! :D

There should be a cable comparison between the Aries II and the PW5 on the headphonelist though we're not taking about the same iem so keep that in mind.

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #919 of 1,871
Hi guys, long time lurker in this thread, I've always had a strange affinity for the Oriolus IEMs so I thought I'd take some time to introduce a new player within the upper echelons of audio. Those who attended the November Autumn audio show in Japan may already be familiar but they’ve kept pretty exclusive to Japan this year, in fact, their models are hard to find even there.

I recently had an opportunity to sit down with Mr. Yu who masterminded Oriolus. He introduced a new direction he’s taking with his designs under a new alias, Hyla (Hira in Japan) which will be joining Oriolus and PW Audio under his supervision. Using his experiences at Oriolus, Yu hopes to further refine his designs with Hyla, which comes off as more experimental and potentially geared more towards an international audience whatever that may entail. At present, Hyla offer two models, the CE-5 which is quite reminiscent of the Oriolus MKII but revised based on feedback for that model in addition to a higher-end model dubbed the Nerva X or LA-1 based upon the Mellianus.

CE-5:

The CE-5 is the more experimental of the two as its quad-driver setup comprises not only of a hybrid single dynamic + dual BA but an additional piezoelectric tweeter. I have seen some models from 1More and Radius using a similar type of driver but Hyla’s execution is a bit different, I will confirm in more detail when I get my hands on some English material. Other changes include a longer nozzle and retuned sound though it carries a similar RRP to the MKII, hovering around $1k USD. Of note, my tester unit lacked a PW cable instead implementing a more standard CIEM-style unit.

tfeRAOn.jpg

I was lucky to get a nice day of listening in while catching a quiet train up to Fuji, but I’ve still only spent a day with the CE-5 so take these impressions with a grain of salt. At the very least, I can confirm this is an interesting earphone that pursues an engaging v-shaped signature. Of course, beyond personal preference, it's the execution that counts, and the CE-5 is certainly a resolving earphone though I will need to AB more to provide more absolute statements. Onto the more subjective, the CE-5 has great bass extension and a quite a lot of emphasis relative to most earphones around this price. That said, bass is well controlled with defined, visceral rumble. Mid-bass seems a little bloomy on first impression but the earphone doesn’t sound remotely flabby or loose. Mids are slightly bright and sit slightly behind in the mix. They are naturally voiced and quite transparent, especially within the upper midrange where lower mids are a little warm. Clarity is also enhanced and background details are very well-resolved despite not bearing the brightest, airiest tuning. Highs are also well-extended but focus lies within the lower-treble making them aggressive and energetic over airy and delicate. They construct a large stage and their smoother middle/upper treble grants them with a clean presentation and darker background despite their more energetic midrange and lower-treble. So far I’m really enjoying the CE-5, it has a tastefully engaging signature that doesn’t compromise balance too much and it nails the technicalities. The longer nozzle also makes this an incredibly isolating earphone and they were perfectly comfortable during my first day of use.

Nerva-X:

Using the Mellianus as a foundation, the Verva employs a similar 10BA driver setup and the same design but Yu has implemented sterling silver housings as opposed to plastic and the internal chambers have been redesigned, I can't confirm any driver changes at present. The unit I tested was also attached to a new copper PW cable that exceeded $2300 IEM in price so unfortunately, I can’t comment on either the Mellianus or the stock Nerva X, but it does look like this model brings some very welcome improvements for the same asking price. As aforementioned, take these first impressions with a grain of salt.

u2R9FHC.jpg

The Nerva is immediately more balanced than the CE-5, it lacks the treble aggression and is rather a little darker and smoother with a U to gentle L-shaped sound. But despite its lesser treble energy, it is immensely detailed and very well extended if still not particularly airy, especially compared to earphones like the Andro and Katana. What surprised me most was the Nerva’s bass, they have awesome extension and not just for a BA earphone. In fact, a few listeners at the table mistook them for a hybrid; had I not been told by Mr. Yu, I would have completely believed that the thump, slam and impact of the Nerva's bass were created by a dynamic driver too. As for the qualities of that bass, like the CE-5, it is full yet tight, physical yet defined. However, the Nerva has greater articulation than the CE-5; though it is similarly impactful, it is a quicker more detailed earphone as it should be considering the price increase. The Nerva also had a really nice stage and a natural, impressively linear midrange from memory. For my tastes, the Nerva is the earphones I would listen to every day where the CE-5 is geared more towards instant gratification. That said, both are still balanced and technical enough to excel with analytical listening and neither falter under scrutiny as a lot of earphones with these styles of tuning tend to.

A5Ni6DP.jpg

So that’s the basic rundown, apologies for rambling and noisy photos! I’ve always been curious about Oriolus and PW so having the opportunity to try Mr. Yu’s latest creations was not only a great experience but a great honour. Yu definitely isn't shooting for anything “reference” with Hyla, rather, these are immensely engaging earphones built atop solid ergonomics and technical performance. I think the CE-5 will please a great many during tomorrow's show but the Nerva will shine over more extended listening.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #920 of 1,871
There should be a cable comparison between the Aries II and the PW5 on the headphonelist though we're not taking about the same iem so keep that in mind.

Thanks!I just checked the comparison and it seems like the Ares ii is brighter than the Pw audio n5. I checked on the internet and i couldn’t find any pw audio n5 on sale in europe

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #923 of 1,871
Thanks!I just checked the comparison and it seems like the Ares ii is brighter than the Pw audio n5. I checked on the internet and i couldn’t find any pw audio n5 on sale in europe
Tried the entire Effect Audio lineup with the Oriolus.
All of them sound the same because they are just dang cables.
Problem solved.

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #924 of 1,871
Tried me some comply foams - peaky - no seal - had to pull ear apart to get them in but then no more clicker sound.

..tried me some spinfits - no seal harsh - too small and very "clicky"

when back too my spiralz... all the way . but 40 dollars for a tip that fits and doesn't flex too much?? should be standard

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #926 of 1,871
Tried the entire Effect Audio lineup with the Oriolus.
All of them sound the same because they are just dang cables.
Problem solved.

I also didn’t believe in cables until I swapped the stock cable with Thor silver ii for S-EM9..night and day,really

Dec 21, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #927 of 1,871
:D did you get throught the whole line up before or after you came to this conclusion?
After. Kind of. I tried some cheap replacement cables before and they didn't do schiit, so I though "oh maybe these TotL cables that headfi doesn't want to shut up about will make a difference."
Yeah, nah, they didn't. Pretty to look at though.

I also didn’t believe in cables until I swapped the stock cable with Thor silver ii for S-EM9..night and day,really
Really.

Dec 21, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #928 of 1,871
After. Kind of. I tried some cheap replacement cables before and they didn't do schiit, so I though "oh maybe these TotL cables that headfi doesn't want to shut up about will make a difference."
Yeah, nah, they didn't. Pretty to look at though.

Really.

Really

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #929 of 1,871
I send you a pm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back