Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Feb 5, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #664 of 1,871

Not yet. My headphone dealer resides on the other side of the city which is roughly one hour driving time. I should also not order one as I just bought the Sony WM1A and have the Cayin I5 lying around here. I am so tempted, though :) Anyway... if I listen to it I will post something.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #665 of 1,871

This white cable (silver), is the default for some Oriolus (south-east Asia). I guess yours are the PW5 (copper), default elsewhere. In that case, i'm not sure how will it be/sound if you reterminate it.

I just cut, and replace the old plug/jack with a better quality one (better conductivity). Some shops offer service for reterminating cables, here it costs around 10-20 USD..

The Oriolus is at home, and I'm away at the moment.

I've tried the Oriolus with stock cables (white), and the reterminated one side-by-side. And the difference is quite apparent. The latter sounds rather significantly improved, better overall. Maybe it depends on the jack/plug as well. You should experiment which suits you best.

Also tried the standard PW5 copper, compared to the white silver cable, it sounds a bit different. The bass is thicker, but the treble, clarity and soundstage are a bit less than. But now that I've reterminated the white cable, it sounds better than the PW5 and the white before. The bass is even bigger, mids and treble clearer, but the soundstage is not much different.

So without going on the cable merry-go-round again as I'm sure it's been discussed many times before...it seems there are 3 possible cables involved when you buy Oriolus. I don't have the silver/white one you have here...and, no I don't have the PW5 'upgrade' cable that you get automatically (when you buy in Japan?).

I have a copper/pink braided cable with nice brass L shaped plug connector. I uploaded pics before. Think it's the standard China cable. It's great and I think it's the one Ezekiel said gives an open, warm and detailed sq and no need to upgrade to PW5 which is more mid-centric than open soundstage.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #666 of 1,871

This white cable (silver), is the default for some Oriolus (south-east Asia). I guess yours are the PW5 (copper), default elsewhere. In that case, i'm not sure how will it be/sound if you reterminate it.
I just cut, and replace the old plug/jack with a better quality one (better conductivity). Some shops offer service for reterminating cables, here it costs around 10-20 USD..
The Oriolus is at home, and I'm away at the moment.

I've tried the Oriolus with stock cables (white), and the reterminated one side-by-side. And the difference is quite apparent. The latter sounds rather significantly improved, better overall. Maybe it depends on the jack/plug as well. You should experiment which suits you best.

Also tried the standard PW5 copper, compared to the white silver cable, it sounds a bit different. The bass is thicker, but the treble, clarity and soundstage are a bit less than. But now that I've reterminated the white cable, it sounds better than the PW5 and the white before. The bass is even bigger, mids and treble clearer, but the soundstage is not much different.

Hi, @ranfan. Just to clarify, you meant the silver/white cable has better treble, clarity and soundstage but less bass compared to the PW5? Or is it the other way around?

Because I have the silver/white one like yours but I've been wanting to know how the PW5 compares to the one I have.  

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #667 of 1,871
Hello @frapp2latte. Yes, at least that's what I perceived.

@ozziecook So then yeah, there are 3 types of cables now. I thought there were only 2, wow.. haha :) Where did you buy yours ozzie?

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #668 of 1,871
Feb 5, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #669 of 1,871
Good question! Maybe it's "I want" rather than "I need" another pair of IEMs... I am very, very happy with the 2.5 - simply love the sound of it and it's also very well built and is extremely comfortable. I'm pretty rough with my gears but after almost 2 years of daily use it still look like new! It's generally considered as a mid-Fi so I cannot stop wondering what I have missed in a more TOTL iem? The A8 is my first CIEM and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed with its bass impact but otherwise it's very good.

danniao, If you have a chance you should try the Canal Work CW-L71 and if the budget is not a problem, you should try the Aroma witch girl 12 driver (the bass is second only to the vega). 
You know what, the iems you mentioned are the iems I'm looking for too and so far the two above are the only IEMs, which satisfy me. Big soundstage, not bright, big and strong bass and not recess mid.
The reason, I came here to read this thread because of how good the people here praise the Oriolus and the price of the Oriolus is ridiculously cheap compared to the other TOTLs and in fact I've found the Oriolus sound fabulous, but they are just not for me (like the Andromeda before this). The one thing I want to share with you is that it's not easy to upgrade from the iems you love. My current iems are the JVC FW01,which costs a lot less than those flagship iems. If you ask me which iems I prefer the most between the U12,Vega,K10,Tralucent ref1too,Asg2.5,Roxanne,ES5, JVCFW01 (I only list what I've owned, but actually I auditioned a lot more iems than this), I will say the JVC FW01, as for you if you're not sure how the iems you want sound like, please dont blindly purchase them because someone else say it good. It may be really good, but it's  just not  for you. To you,the asg2.5 might not be replaced by any other iems at all. I am in the position like you now but I might be lucky than you because I can audition a lot of iems in the biggest  shop in my city (which is not far from me at all), so I have a chance to test before purchasing.
Hope you find some nice TOTLs iems,that satisfy you

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #670 of 1,871
So basically there are two cables. One is copper, and another is silver material. And three jack/plugs, the standard, PW, and Oyaide?

Mine uses this, ViaBlue T6 3.5 mm (http://www.viablue.de/com/phono_plugs_3_5_t6s_small.shtml) with the white/silver cable:

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #671 of 1,871
  danniao, If you have a chance you should try the Canal Work CW-L71 and if the budget is not a problem, you should try the Aroma witch girl 12 driver (the bass is second only to the vega). 
You know what, the iems you mentioned are the iems I'm looking for too and so far the two above are the only IEMs, which satisfy me. Big soundstage, not bright, big and strong bass and not recess mid.
The reason, I came here to read this thread because of how good the people here praise the Oriolus and the price of the Oriolus is ridiculously cheap compared to the other TOTLs and in fact I've found the Oriolus sound fabulous, but they are just not for me (like the Andromeda before this). The one thing I want to share with you is that it's not easy to upgrade from the iems you love. My current iems are the JVC FW01,which costs a lot less than those flagship iems. If you ask me which iems I prefer the most between the U12,Vega,K10,Tralucent ref1too,Asg2.5,Roxanne,ES5, JVCFW01 (I only list what I've owned, but actually I auditioned a lot more iems than this), I will say the JVC FW01, as for you if you're not sure how the iems you want sound like, please dont blindly purchase them because someone else say it good. It may be really good, but it's  just not  for you. To you,the asg2.5 might not be replaced by any other iems at all. I am in the position like you now but I might be lucky than you because I can audition a lot of iems in the biggest  shop in my city (which is not far from me at all), so I have a chance to test before purchasing.

Thanks coolcat for the great advice! I think you are right I need to audition before buying without know how exactly the IEM sounds to me... Will go to the CanJam SoCal when it's hear again!
I've never heard of the Canal Work and the Aroma - thanks I'll look into these as well.

Best,
Joe

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #672 of 1,871

Haha. Now THAT is one crazy mixed up post
Thanks for cheering me up :)

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #673 of 1,871
So basically there are two cables. One is copper, and another is silver material. And three jack/plugs, the standard, PW, and Oyaide?

Mine uses this, ViaBlue T6 3.5 mm (http://www.viablue.de/com/phono_plugs_3_5_t6s_small.shtml) with the white/silver cable:

Right. Gotcha. So basically the so called 'upgrade' cable from PWAudio is just a different Jack plug on the same copper cable - that you're paying £120 (c$160) for.
If I'm to understand it then, not only can cables alter sq (depending on your belief) but so can different jacks?

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #674 of 1,871
Right. Gotcha. So basically the so called 'upgrade' cable from PWAudio is just a different Jack plug on the same copper cable - that you're paying £120 (c$160) for.
If I'm to understand it then, not only can cables alter sq (depending on your belief) but so can different jacks?

I'm not sure about the cable you got from Shenzen, but by the looks if it, it has a similar copper as PW and an Oyaide 3.5 mm L-gold plated plug. Now, the Oyaide if original costs 10-20 USD. For the fake one it's around 1-2 USD. There are many fake Oyaide from China, original ones are from Japan. So please be careful. The copper cable too (from PW Audio).

Since I only knew there were two version/releases of Oriolus (original silver and PW cable), i'm not so sure about the third.. Because the PW5 cable alone, could be sold quite profitably if replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back