Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Feb 4, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #649 of 1,871
  I don't know. There's also a DAP coming from them.

DP100 can't come soon enough. Will be around $450 or so iirc.
I tried an early version of it and it sounded great. The volume wheel/knob is so nice.
Very likely going to buy one once I have my Oriolus Mk2.

Whole bunch of pics of it: http://www.igao7.com/news/201701/hsd8qgo02XmkAiUU.html

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #651 of 1,871
Guys, thank you for the input, I used to own the HM901 balance,cowon P1 and Mojo, they sound less bright than the QP1R and I can imagine what you guys said that they should pair perfectly with the Oriolus, by the way I am quite sensitive to the treble and I like dark iems more that's why I said the Oriolus bright, but I think , to neutral ears, the Oriolus should be just right and not bright at all (even paired with the QP1R) .
I really wanna part with the QP1R, because I dont like it with a lot of iems, but the dap sound so goods with all my dark iems. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #652 of 1,871
Very interested in this IEM. I'm considering the Oriolus and the campfire Vega - Does anyone own both and can provide a comparison? My current IEMs are ASG 2.5 and 64 audio A8, DAP is LPG. I like the A8s but really love the sound signature of the 2.5 (powerful bass, expansive soundstage and forward mid) with the base port opened 1/4 position. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #653 of 1,871
  Very interested in this IEM. I'm considering the Oriolus and the campfire Vega - Does anyone own both and can provide a comparison? My current IEMs are ASG 2.5 and 64 audio A8, DAP is LPG. I like the A8s but really love the sound signature of the 2.5 (powerful bass, expansive soundstage and forward mid) with the base port opened 1/4 position. 

I would like to share my thought about your question.
I used to own the Vega,  ASG 2.5 and the U12 and I spent one hour with the oriolus. The iems you own are quite darker than the Vega and Oriolus (even asg 2.5 have some treble energy, but it's still darker though). I dont know if you're going  like both of them and the fact that your dap is LPG, I just wanna ask you if you are treble sensitive or not.

About the bass, because both asg 2.5 and A8 are bass head iems indeed, I would say that the Vega has the best bass in any iems for basshead, the bass is not as fast as the asg 2.5- or tralucent ref1too bass, but it's deeper and bigger. the vega bass is huge, its not the iems bass, but it's the real speakers bass(exaggerate a little bit, but its bass is real huge ).
Oriolus bass is not as big as the asg 2.5's or the Vega bass, but it's good enough for the bassheads, quality quantify and impact (better impact than the U12 bass).  

About the soundstage, Both of the Vega and Oriolus has a bigger soundstage than the asg2.5 ,so dont worry.  The oriolus offers the best soundstage compared to asg2.5,vega,U8. 

About the forwardness, both Vega and Oriolus are not as forward as the asg 2.5, but I dont feel their mids are distant at all . (I am not sure of this point,because the bass and the soundstage are the most obvious to me and I dont have them side by side to compare)

The choice you may consider may be the Andromeda (soundstage,forwardness), but the andro dont have the authoritative bass like the asg2.5 or Vega and even less bass than the Oriolus. The andro bass is fast and punchy though.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #654 of 1,871
if you reter or upgrade the cable, you can get a better overall sound. reterminating is cheaper though. i reter-ed the stock white/silver cable, and the sound 'opened' up. the bass has more punch and is deeper, while the mids and treble are clear and smoother.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #655 of 1,871
if you reter or upgrade the cable, you can get a better overall sound. reterminating is cheaper though. i reter-ed the stock white/silver cable, and the sound 'opened' up. the bass has more punch and is deeper, while the mids and treble are clear and smoother.

Can you define what you mean a bit more please?
Reterminating the stock cable ? My stock cable is not white/silver, it is a kind of copper/pink...or are we just seeing the colour differently?
How do you reter that? And as for upgrade, upgrade to what - the PW 5? Ezekiel said that cable doesn't open it up as such...

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #656 of 1,871

I would like to share my thought about your question.
I used to own the Vega,  ASG 2.5 and the U12 and I spent one hour with the oriolus. The iems you own are quite darker than the Vega and Oriolus (even asg 2.5 have some treble energy, but it's still darker though). I dont know if you're going  like both of them and the fact that your dap is LPG, I just wanna ask you if you are treble sensitive or not.

About the bass, because both asg 2.5 and A8 are bass head iems indeed, I would say that the Vega has the best bass in any iems for basshead, the bass is not as fast as the asg 2.5- or tralucent ref1too bass, but it's deeper and bigger. the vega bass is huge, its not the iems bass, but it's the real speakers bass(exaggerate a little bit, but its bass is real huge ).
Oriolus bass is not as big as the asg 2.5's or the Vega bass, but it's good enough for the bassheads, quality quantify and impact (better impact than the U12 bass).  

About the soundstage, Both of the Vega and Oriolus has a bigger soundstage than the asg2.5 ,so dont worry.  The oriolus offers the best soundstage compared to asg2.5,vega,U8. 

About the forwardness, both Vega and Oriolus are not as forward as the asg 2.5, but I dont feel their mids are distant at all . (I am not sure of this point,because the bass and the soundstage are the most obvious to me and I dont have them side by side to compare)

The choice you may consider may be the Andromeda (soundstage,forwardness), but the andro dont have the authoritative bass like the asg2.5 or Vega and even less bass than the Oriolus. The andro bass is fast and punchy though.

Thank you so much coolcat! These are exactly the information I was hoping to get from guys like you who had experiences in all these IEMs - Really appreciate it! I am pretty positive that I'm quite treble sensitive, and until I heard the A8, I never considered myself a basshead even though I had the ASG 2.5 for over a year before getting the A8 and really enjoyed it. I started with the bass port of 2.5 fully closed and later turned it up by 1/4 and would not go any further. To me A8 is not a basshead IEM - true it goes pretty deep but I have to pay attention to 'listen' to its low end notes vs. with the 2.5 the sub and mid-bass hits hard and you feel the thumping impact. The bass just simply draws your attention - it's not missable - I just love how it sounds and have been in great interest of the Vega since it's out. My only concern is the treble may be a bit too much for my liking...

It's a little surprising to hear that both Vega and Oriolus have bigger soundstage than the 2.5's, which I consider very expansive, especially with my recently purchased Norne Therium pure silver cable. I feel the soundstage of 2.5 is more expansive than my A8 with the Adel B1 module.

I have considered Andromeda but after realizing that I'm quite a basshead it's pretty much been out of my next IEM candidate list (plus I hear it has slight hiss with the LPG). 

Thanks again for taking the time sharing your impressions/comparisons and thoughts!

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #657 of 1,871
Feb 5, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #658 of 1,871
@danniao - what aspect are you trying to improve on from the iems you have - 2.5 and A8 - seems like you're quite happy with them?

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #659 of 1,871
@danniao - what aspect are you trying to improve on from the iems you have - 2.5 and A8 - seems like you're quite happy with them?

Good question! Maybe it's "I want" rather than "I need" another pair of IEMs... I am very, very happy with the 2.5 - simply love the sound of it and it's also very well built and is extremely comfortable. I'm pretty rough with my gears but after almost 2 years of daily use it still look like new! It's generally considered as a mid-Fi so I cannot stop wondering what I have missed in a more TOTL iem? The A8 is my first CIEM and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed with its bass impact but otherwise it's very good.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #660 of 1,871
Can you define what you mean a bit more please?
Reterminating the stock cable ? My stock cable is not white/silver, it is a kind of copper/pink...or are we just seeing the colour differently?
How do you reter that? And as for upgrade, upgrade to what - the PW 5? Ezekiel said that cable doesn't open it up as such...

This white cable (silver), is the default for some Oriolus (south-east Asia). I guess yours are the PW5 (copper), default elsewhere. In that case, i'm not sure how will it be/sound if you reterminate it.
I just cut, and replace the old plug/jack with a better quality one (better conductivity). Some shops offer service for reterminating cables, here it costs around 10-20 USD..
The Oriolus is at home, and I'm away at the moment.

I've tried the Oriolus with stock cables (white), and the reterminated one side-by-side. And the difference is quite apparent. The latter sounds rather significantly improved, better overall. Maybe it depends on the jack/plug as well. You should experiment which suits you best.

Also tried the standard PW5 copper, compared to the white silver cable, it sounds a bit different. The bass is thicker, but the treble, clarity and soundstage are a bit less than. But now that I've reterminated the white cable, it sounds better than the PW5 and the white before. The bass is even bigger, mids and treble clearer, but the soundstage is not much different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back