Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #784 of 796
The new Duelund CAST PP and Clarity Cap PUR come to mind. I don't like PUR only for the reason that I have an aversion to silver-plated conductors. But I didn't find impressions about the new Duelund anywhere.
And yes, Superior Z is little dry..
i really like the Duelund Cast PIO, even as bypass caps, they seem to add a level of naturalness and realism to the sound and tone.

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #785 of 796
I can add I use vcap ODAM with a 0.01 JDM pure silver bypass cap on my GR Research Nx-otica speakers and the sound is truly incredible. I use on the midcircut large 100uf cap bundle a 0.1 vcap odam and 0.01 JDM pure silver and this combo is magical with 4x 25uf sonicaps making up the bundle.

No real difference likely with JDM and cast pio silver bypass caps at 0.01 uf, the pio leads are better but that really is not going to make or break and the JDM silver bypass are very good ontop of the already amazing VCAP ODAM.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #786 of 796
Talking about silver foil capacitors, a couple of months ago I noticed that Miflex offers those caps also (10nF to 220nF). Previously I've extensively used their copper foils. I'm now listening to two couples of 47nF in my tube preamp and amp: they're a clear upgrade over the coppers. Very natural sounding. I'd be curious to know others experience on these new caps!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #787 of 796
Talking about silver foil capacitors, a couple of months ago I noticed that Miflex offers those caps also (10nF to 220nF). Previously I've extensively used their copper foils. I'm now listening to two couples of 47nF in my tube preamp and amp: they're a clear update over the coppers. Very natural sounding. I'd be curious to know others experience on these new caps!
Where did you find Miflex silver capacitors? I don't see them listed anywhere. Also, 47 nF=0.047 uF, which would seem too small for things like coupling duties, so the 220 nF=0.22uF would be something I'd be interested in!

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #789 of 796
You'd better to check with an audio analyzer if 220nF caps are really required for coupling without cutting lower frequencies. They're often not. If you've a schematic you'd share I can give a look. Easily just look at the following resistor to gnd. And remember that smaller caps are better sounding. And with silver much more affordable!

Jan 12, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #790 of 796
You'd better to check with an audio analyzer if 220nF caps are really required for coupling without cutting lower frequencies. They're often not. If you've a schematic you'd share I can give a look. Easily just look at the following resistor to gnd. And remember that smaller caps are better sounding. And with silver much more affordable!
Ahh, KPSR seems more available in EU, although can ship to U.S. with a shipping charge. Even then, quite a bit cheaper than Audionote Silver caps, or even Duelund silver.

Feb 11, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #792 of 796
Took a chance on the bevenbi mkpa-s nice detailed and smooth better than the jantzen standard/superior/silver almost close to the Alumen. Alumen is more in your face with depth whereas mkpa-s is wider and in the back if that makes sense. Chi-fi U-cap hybrid teflon didn't do anything for my system from what I could hear. Bear in mind that all these caps have been used between 20-30 hours. I have the miflex kpcu-01 0.022 for bypass which sounds restrained and grainy and probably needs more hours of burn-in.

IMG_7070.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7140.jpg
    IMG_7140.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #793 of 796
Hey cap thread ppl!

I am looking into doing a little tweaking with my Woo Audio WA2. I have had a couple of other amps where replacing the interstage coupling caps has been a huge upgrade, so I’m planning to do that, but I’m curious, as this is my first OTL amp if I would get benefit from replacing the output coupling caps. Really just curious to understand more about what might be actually worthwhile to replace versus wasting money. I think the amp already sounds awesome, but I can’t help but wonder if it could be even better…

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #794 of 796
Hey cap thread ppl!

I am looking into doing a little tweaking with my Woo Audio WA2. I have had a couple of other amps where replacing the interstage coupling caps has been a huge upgrade, so I’m planning to do that, but I’m curious, as this is my first OTL amp if I would get benefit from replacing the output coupling caps. Really just curious to understand more about what might be actually worthwhile to replace versus wasting money. I think the amp already sounds awesome, but I can’t help but wonder if it could be even better…
Still kicking around this idea… Anyone tried the Mundorf TubeCaps? Also, does anyone think there is value in upgrading the power supply caps? I imagine the power supply ones would be significantly lower yield than the output caps, which I believe are in the signal path… Here’s a pick of the inside of my WA2 for reference:

IMG_4731 Large.jpeg

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #795 of 796
Hello,
looks all right to me.
Rubycon are actually the best on the market at the moment, the resistors from Takman should be it, could perhaps have a little air upwards but does not necessarily have to be if it fits the circuit, I would rather leave it.
I think the Achrillis heels are indeed the Mundorf SGO which are worth replacing.
The question is what is your budget?
Vcap Odam, Audionote Copper, Jupiter copper and maybe Milfex could be worthwhile.
You would have to look at Milfex because they are quite large.
You certainly can't go wrong with the first 3.
If money is no object vcap Cutf are the ones I would go for, even with less good tubes they get everything out of the tube after 400-500h burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back