Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Sep 17, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #766 of 796
I can confirm that soundstage is narrower with the Jantzen superior z. Before it, I had Amp Ohm FP-CA-AU cap (in the preamp), which is 4 times cheaper than Superior Z, but the stage is as wide as possible, from wall to wall, while with Superior Z it is from speaker to speaker. The depth is also better on the Amp Ohm but the difference is not as great as it's with the width.
Since I no longer have an Amp Ohm, I have to find a good capacitor that fits in the box (6.8uf, max 38mm radius). The new Duelund CAST PP and Clarity Cap PUR come to mind. I don't like PUR only for the reason that I have an aversion to silver-plated conductors. But I didn't find impressions about the new Duelund anywhere.
And yes, Superior Z is little dry..
I concur with this as well re: Jantzen Superior. Even with the Jantzen silver, it was a tad brighter but deeper, but still did not rock my boat. Duelund JDMs are pretty good, i prefered the pure copper foils over the tin plated. Vcap ODAMs are well balanced, equalled in soundstage, has more depth than the Duelunds.

Initially i liked the Miflex, but after time, there is a midbass bump that gives more body but at the expense of deeper lows. Also, the mids and highs are more exaggerated over the likes of the Duelunds and Vcap ODAMs. You'll only notice it after the 500-600 hour mark.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #767 of 796
I concur with this as well re: Jantzen Superior. Even with the Jantzen silver, it was a tad brighter but deeper, but still did not rock my boat. Duelund JDMs are pretty good, i prefered the pure copper foils over the tin plated. Vcap ODAMs are well balanced, equalled in soundstage, has more depth than the Duelunds.

Initially i liked the Miflex, but after time, there is a midbass bump that gives more body but at the expense of deeper lows. Also, the mids and highs are more exaggerated over the likes of the Duelunds and Vcap ODAMs. You'll only notice it after the 500-600 hour mark.

I haven't tried ODAM or JDM, but to play Devil's advocate, it's also possible that some people might perceive Miflex, etc to be the middle and the oil-damped caps to be eh "smoother" in relative terms.

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #768 of 796
A little feed back on a output cap rolling experiment in my Elekit TU-8900 300B amp

After reading about the Audionote silver foil capacitors that one or two are using in their TU8900s and noticing the Audionote silver capacitors use a Mylar dielectric it reminded me of another capacitor I've used in the past that also uses Mylar and that had a pretty unique sonic signature so just for giggles I ordered some 0.1uf Russian K75-10 capacitors to go in the TU-8900.

I'm bypassing the K75 with the utterly fantastic Duelund JDM silver foil bypass caps this was just for a bit of fun to play about and mix things up a bit from the Vcap Cutf.

11 months on the K75 are still in and paired with the Duelund silver foil bypass there really isn't much to grumble about some of that unique flavour of the K75-10 which I was hoping for definitely comes though. What was quiet noticeable going from the V-Cap cutf to the PIO was that familiar ease of presentation the PIO have compared to modern MPK caps.

Will switch back to the Cutf again at some point but 11 months in I'm still enjoying the presentation and in no hurry to swap back to the V-cap cutf at the mo.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #769 of 796
A little feed back on a output cap rolling experiment in my Elekit TU-8900 300B amp

After reading about the Audionote silver foil capacitors that one or two are using in their TU8900s and noticing the Audionote silver capacitors use a Mylar dielectric it reminded me of another capacitor I've used in the past that also uses Mylar and that had a pretty unique sonic signature so just for giggles I ordered some 0.1uf Russian K75-10 capacitors to go in the TU-8900.

I'm bypassing the K75 with the utterly fantastic Duelund JDM silver foil bypass caps this was just for a bit of fun to play about and mix things up a bit from the Vcap Cutf.

11 months on the K75 are still in and paired with the Duelund silver foil bypass there really isn't much to grumble about some of that unique flavour of the K75-10 which I was hoping for definitely comes though. What was quiet noticeable going from the V-Cap cutf to the PIO was that familiar ease of presentation the PIO have compared to modern MPK caps.

Will switch back to the Cutf again at some point but 11 months in I'm still enjoying the presentation and in no hurry to swap back to the V-cap cutf at the mo.
@JamieMcC - Thanks for sharing the above.

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #770 of 796
1000013405.jpg

I am planning on replacing the Mundorf Mcaps (1.5uf) with Mundorf supreme Evo silver/gold. Size is a bit of an issue so don't think Jupiter or Deuland would squeeze in there. Any other recommendations?

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #771 of 796
I hope this thread will continue. I also looking for best possibility cap 33uF for my cross-over. For now it is Mundorf Supreme, CC PUR, Audiocap XO, V-Cap ODAM and more.
It is really a help to read other's experience to make the best choice, for now, it is the V-Cap ODAM but also the most expensive to choose.

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #772 of 796
But it's also one of the best caps when we talk about Vcap.
Have TFTF plus odam in one amp and pure CuTF in the other and yes it costs for now but won't look back.
I am very happy with both systems, there is nothing to complain about.

Worthwhile upgrade is also the Vh Audio Cu24 unshielded or the Pulsar II cable with Eti Rca plug or the Furutech plugs for XLR.

Additionally, the cable is a worthwhile upgrade if you have Mundorf Sgo caps in use.
It no longer obscures anything and offers absolute sound-free colouration of the sound image.
Definitely made my Mundorf better.
Downside on the canel is 300-400 h burn in as with the caps.
For once, it's a bit faster if you can connect it 24 h a day to an old setup.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #773 of 796
These inexpensive Bevenbi MKP Silver foil capacitors caught my interest and thought I would give them a try in my preamp.

I'm guessing they are probably metalised silver deposition rather than actual silver foil however they are sounding pretty decent.

Past caps run in this amp have included

Solen mkp
Amphom tinfoil in wax
Russian surplus Teflon
Duelund cast copper
Sprague Vitamin Q.

Bevenbi 250V 1uF Axial MKP Silver foil capacitor for HIFI.

Fresh in replacing the vintage Sprague Vitamin Q.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185945668452

IMG_20231014_140443_1.jpg

Oct 27, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #774 of 796
Phono board I recently recapped for a Marantz receiver. Amtrans film caps up front, Elna Silmics and Nichicon ES for electrolytics, and replaced some potentially wonky smaller caps with the 4 blue Kemet polypropylenes

PXL_20231019_212714139.jpg

Oct 27, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #775 of 796
part of a Yamaha A-1 restoration I did: 22,000uf Mundorf AG filter caps and an orgy of Audio Note, Nichicon MUSE and Elna Cerafine on the power section (and a wima)

PXL_20231018_224143961.jpg

PXL_20231023_215109483.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #776 of 796
Bifrost 2 analog board now orgied up with Audio Notes (black), Nichicon KA audio grade (blue), and Elna Silmics (brown, right corner). Stock these come with whatever the factory has laying around, in my case Wurth caps, so felt like experimenting.
PXL_20231027_232340517.MP.jpg

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #778 of 796
Recapped a couple of amps recently, this Marantz PM-66 SE using Kemet main filter caps and a mix of Nichicon Muse and FG along with Toshin Jovial's where I couldn't get Nichicons.

PXL_20231030_091736979.jpg
PXL_20231030_091759123.jpg

And this Cambridge Audio A1 (Mike Creek original) with Nichicon Muse and FG

PXL_20231021_111651324.jpg
PXL_20231021_111714587.jpg

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #779 of 796

Im using the 0.01uf Duelund Cast Ag silver foil bypass on the Vcap Odams with my Musical Paradise dac and was floored at how much tone and harmonics that was masked previously without the bypass caps.
I cheaped out and got the Duelund 0.01uf JDM copper foils for the MP preamp, but im using Mundorf Silver Gold Oils at the output coupling caps, and a stack of 3x3.3uf Vcap Odams as bypass caps,+ 1x 0.01uf Duelund 0.01uf JDM copper foil on the top. I thought it was a compromise but i'm liking what im hearing atm. I might just get some Duelund Cast Ag's down the track just to mix it up a little.

Nov 20, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #780 of 796
Im using the 0.01uf Duelund Cast Ag silver foil bypass on the Vcap Odams with my Musical Paradise dac and was floored at how much tone and harmonics that was masked previously without the bypass caps.
I cheaped out and got the Duelund 0.01uf JDM copper foils for the MP preamp, but im using Mundorf Silver Gold Oils at the output coupling caps, and a stack of 3x3.3uf Vcap Odams as bypass caps,+ 1x 0.01uf Duelund 0.01uf JDM copper foil on the top. I thought it was a compromise but i'm liking what im hearing atm. I might just get some Duelund Cast Ag's down the track just to mix it up a little.

The Duelund JDM silver foil bypass caps are the dogs danglies I've tried them in a few amps now they have always impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back