Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Jan 28, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #752 of 796
so I'm recapping the headphone amp on this yamaha and have been mulling this over enough to ask:

I need to put some 1uf caps in the signal path near the headphone out. The rest of that board is going to be Elna Silmics and Audio Note but for these my options are down to Silma Cerafines, Nichicon KG, Nichicon Muse ES, and maybe some off the radar stuff (or WIMAs)

I was about to check out on the Cerafines but reviews online make them sound harsh....what do?

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #754 of 796
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #756 of 796
Another vote here for Miflex. If you can fit them... They are almost comical in size in the larger values.
I third that... Miflex are really nice, but they're huge. Personally they took almost a year to break in properly, but when they do....hahahaha..., they were the most balanced sounding of the copper foil in paper oils that i have used...incl Duelunds, and Jupiters. Jupiters had more pronounced emphasis on the lower mids and lows... Duelunds on the mids and lower highs.. At first the Miflex will sound dull and you'll only get a taste of what to come after the first 100hrs.. and then then roller coaster ride starts and you'd wish that you never got them but once they hit that 400-500hr mark...they settle down and just sounds so right.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #757 of 796
Miflex will sound dull and you'll only get a taste of what to come after the first 100hrs.. and then then roller coaster ride starts and you'd wish that you never got them but once they hit that 400-500hr mark...they settle down and just sounds so right.
Miflex (along with teflon caps) really do need to be burned in on a cap/cable burn-in device before installation to save a lot of grief..

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #758 of 796
Looking for suggestions on cap replacement for my Bottlehead Kaiju. there are 4 0.1uf 630V capacitors, 2 10uf 630V capacitors, and 2 100uf 250V capacitors.

I'm doing 2 Audyn True Copper Caps, 0.10uF 630Vdc, caps for the larger gap I have. The other 2 0.1uf have to have a standard 1mm lead to connect to a C4S board. They also can't be massive. I was thinking maybe a Mundorf Evo SilverGoldOil(or really and of the less-than $60 Mundorf), Solen S3Q, or V-cap ODAM.
As far as the 10uf goes I want to spend <$100 on them. I was thinking maybe a Jantzen, ClarityCap, or the cheap option Obbligato.
There really doesn't seem to be a lot of options available for 100uf caps. So right now I'm looking at the ClarityCap CSA.
There is a little wiggle room on the .1uf and 10uf for the uf rating. I can also go higer on the voltage for all of them and slightly lower to 600V on the .1uf and 10uf.
Any suggestions/comparisons would be greatly appreciated

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #759 of 796
is it worth the effort to recap a NAD M51 DAC? I'm planning on doing the power supply because it'd be a quick job, but the main board is like 35 caps and would take some time...worth the fuss or waste of time?

fwiw the stock caps used on this are rather crap chinese caps

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #760 of 796
Did it anyway :sweat_smile:

Audio Note Kaisei, Standard; Nichicon KA/KX; and a couple Elna Silmic

PXL_20230404_224736221.jpg

PXL_20230404_224354650-1.jpg

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #761 of 796
Hi guys, I am planning to try the ClarityCap PUR version for speaker crossover usage but couldn't find any reviews or mentions about this PUR version from ClarityCap. I would like to know how this capacitor compares to Jantzen SuperiorZ-Cap or the Jantzen Silver Z-Cap. Also I noticed there is also a PUR-S version, how is this different from the PUR version in term of sound quality? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #762 of 796
I use PUR about 4-5 months now. Indeed very nice capacitors closer to CC MR/CMR in terms of level of detail and timber but with greater smoothness. No sharp edge as MR for e.g.
Soundstage wide and deep. Great improvement from CC CSA but needs many more hours to fully settle then any other previous model from ClarityCap before.

Jantzen Caps are dry (if you know what I mean) with small sound stage. Silver Z-Cap is also badly balanced. I don't like Jantzen caps at all (except Alumen) and I thing there is many more better caps on the market. Including CC.

PUR-S ? There is no such think according to manufacturer web page http://www.claritycap.co.uk/products/pur.php

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #763 of 796
I use PUR about 4-5 months now. Indeed very nice capacitors closer to CC MR/CMR in terms of level of detail and timber but with greater smoothness. No sharp edge as MR for e.g.
Soundstage wide and deep. Great improvement from CC CSA but needs many more hours to fully settle then any other previous model from ClarityCap before.

Jantzen Caps are dry (if you know what I mean) with small sound stage. Silver Z-Cap is also badly balanced. I don't like Jantzen caps at all (except Alumen) and I thing there is many more better caps on the market. Including CC.

PUR-S ? There is no such think according to manufacturer web page http://www.claritycap.co.uk/products/pur.php
Hi rafabro, thanks for the feedback. It's great to hear the PUR cap outperform the CSA cap and at the level of the CMR with greater smoothness. I think I will give it a try with my next crossover design. Actually there is a PUR-S version, it is the 800 VDC version as shown in the attached image. In fact the highest range in this series is the PUR-ST version. Scroll down to the bottom of the page you linked and you will see them under "Ordering Details" .

Attachments

• ClarityCap PUR-S.jpg
    ClarityCap PUR-S.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 24, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #764 of 796
I wondering, anyone tried comparing KBG-MN caps and MBGCH-1 caps in crossovers?

I need 0,5uF-10uF. The speakers are Tannoy D700's.
I have ordered some NOS Russian capacitors before reading enough and I have been testing a 10uF Mbgch-1 and Mbgo 2uF+1uF and 0.5uF MBM in parallel - I'm planning to replace the MBM's and the Mbgo as well. It sounds pretty good now but I was told they will wear off quickly.
Thanks

(Someone mentioned that he found the Mbgch-1 to be superior to the kbg-mh, so I'm wondering if it aslo applies in crossovers with values up to 10uF)

Sep 15, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #765 of 796

I can confirm that soundstage is narrower with the Jantzen superior z. Before it, I had Amp Ohm FP-CA-AU cap (in the preamp), which is 4 times cheaper than Superior Z, but the stage is as wide as possible, from wall to wall, while with Superior Z it is from speaker to speaker. The depth is also better on the Amp Ohm but the difference is not as great as it's with the width.
Since I no longer have an Amp Ohm, I have to find a good capacitor that fits in the box (6.8uf, max 38mm radius). The new Duelund CAST PP and Clarity Cap PUR come to mind. I don't like PUR only for the reason that I have an aversion to silver-plated conductors. But I didn't find impressions about the new Duelund anywhere.
And yes, Superior Z is little dry..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back