Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Oct 10, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #721 of 796
I don't suppose anyone has any idea or feedback regarding the duelund jdm pure copper bypass cap vs the duelund jdm tinner copper bypass cap? Former is half the price; curious on the sound...

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #722 of 796
I don't suppose anyone has any idea or feedback regarding the duelund jdm pure copper bypass cap vs the duelund jdm tinner copper bypass cap? Former is half the price; curious on the sound...

I've not compared the two but have used used Duelund Cast copper and V-cap cutf copper teflon. After using the JDM silver foil bypass on both I am very happy with the results.

Oct 10, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #723 of 796
I've not compared the two but have used used Duelund Cast copper and V-cap cutf copper teflon. After using the JDM silver foil bypass on both I am very happy with the results.
Mainly I'm trying to figure out if it would be an audible loss of qualify with the pure copper vs the tinned copper. I'm being cheap and trying to save some bucks :)

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #724 of 796
Mainly I'm trying to figure out if it would be an audible loss of qualify with the pure copper vs the tinned copper. I'm being cheap and trying to save some bucks :)

Trouble is if you buy copper and find they are amazing (which they undoubtedly are if the Duelund Cast coppers are anything to go by) then your inner self will start thinking about the pure silver foil version, you know the very best of the best the dogs danglies etc and only a few bucks more (insert face palm icon).

My advice fwiw

Don't be cheap it's only a small difference sacrifice a few coffee's, make a sandwich rather than have a take away, have a night in rather than a night out and your there.

You will be appreciating the quality long after the cost is forgotten.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #725 of 796
So I'm looking to recap my Valhalla sometime in the horizon (several of the caps are bulging, its 12 years old) was wondering a couple things. (Stock are 470uf 250v)

1. Is it recommended i get something with a higher voltage than my stock Rubycons for longevity purposes, or just leave it? (worth paying extra?)

2. Of the one's available and recommended, Nichicon KX look like the best fit at the moment. There's also Kemet ALT22 series and Cornell 381LX. Are any better than the others for my purposes?

Nov 3, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #726 of 796
Audio Note Kaiseis?

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #727 of 796
Audio Note Kaiseis?

Couldnt find appropriate specs for the Kais (probably for the best given the price) and the standard Audio Notes are too fat to fit so had to take them off my list

Jun 23, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #729 of 796
Nov 14, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #731 of 796
I recently had mundorf evo oil (aluminium) 3.3 450v coupling caps put into the line stage of my valve preamplifier. the sound seems a little bright and not as full as i was expecting. is this likely to change after significant burn in hours? Anyone used these caps ? how long to burn in? Hanks.

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #732 of 796
hmm, I put mundorf coupling caps in my marantz and it went from warm to bright and "off", now youve got me thinking that was the culprit...

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #733 of 796
I have a Musical Paradise MP-701 MK2 tube preamp and it has the capability to "roll" coupling caps. Currently, I have a pair of Mundorf Supreme Gold Silver Oil 2.2uf 600V coupling caps and while I know these are fantastic sounding caps I know that they are known to highlight the treble a bit and I can hear that. I would like to explore some paper in oil caps, such as caps from Miflex and Jupiter, but I'm finding for the spec I need that diameter size is an issue and caps from Miflex and Jupiter that I have identified won't fit.

So, I'm thinking of trying the "cheat" of bypassing the Mundorf coupling caps with a .1uf 600V Miflex copper, commonly seen in speaker crossover designs, to see if I can shape the tone of the Mundorf's just a touch. The question is, is it ok to bypass a coupling cap in a (tube) preamp with a very small value cap?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #734 of 796
Quick question for anyone that knows - needing to replace the power filtering caps in my Marantz PM-66 Ki Signature amp.

Stock are uncommon 56v 12,000uf - would it be safer to replace with 50v 15,000uf, 63v 15,000uf or 63v 10,000uf?

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #735 of 796
@philv mundorfs can be bright like that. Whether you can hear the brightness will depend on the circuit, the tonal balance of the gear and your sensitivity to treble. Some of my friends don't find it bright. But a couple of folks I know who are sensitive, have found mundorfs to be on the brighter side.

@Sean H yes, using bypass cap will be totally fine. But try going for 0.01uF for the bypass. I am surprised an equivalent from Jupiter is too big as in many cases Jupiters and Mundorfs are not that far off in dimensions. Also check out the dimensions of the Audyn Copper Max and Audionote Copper.

@ostewart 63V 15,000uF is what I would choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back