Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #691 of 796
Yes sorry the 0.01 Duelund JDM bypass capacitors. I've never been to hung up about ratios for bypassing I've always had a few different Russian teflon types in the spare parts box and just tend to go with what's been to hand.

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #692 of 796
I am using the Miflex KPCU-01 / 02 in some different builds, I think they sound pretty good! Although I haven't done a direct AB comparison to similar offerings, too much fuss. I will say that my recently completed phono stage uses them in two positions of the signal path, coupling and output, and the sound overall is very nice.

Oct 23, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #693 of 796
Yes sorry the 0.01 Duelund JDM bypass capacitors. I've never been to hung up about ratios for bypassing I've always had a few different Russian teflon types in the spare parts box and just tend to go with what's been to hand.

" The outer lead out, closest to the edge of the capacitor, is connected to the outer foil and as such should be connected to the lowest impedance path to ground, generally the signal output. "

Did you follow this at all? I suppose I should have BEFORE I just soldered them in, although its an easy fix.

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #694 of 796
I wouldn't loose any sleep.over it as I doubt you will notice any difference which ever way round they go it's meant to help with noise rejection but if all is quiet personally I would leave it as is.

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #695 of 796
" The outer lead out, closest to the edge of the capacitor, is connected to the outer foil and as such should be connected to the lowest impedance path to ground, generally the signal output. "

Did you follow this at all? I suppose I should have BEFORE I just soldered them in, although its an easy fix.
I never followed until last couple weeks ago I started when one guy told me to connect caps on tweeter other way then suggested (if currently I hear slice to much high freq with the caps I have). I tried and I heard small but clear difference. So from now on I pay attention to that.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #696 of 796
@JamieMcC I can always take a look and see what orientation they're already installed in. Pretty easy fix if I feel like doing it. Would the lowest impedance path on the mainline be point 20 and 30?

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #697 of 796
@JamieMcC I can always take a look and see what orientation they're already installed in. Pretty easy fix if I feel like doing it. Would the lowest impedance path on the mainline be point 20 and 30?
I'm not able to find out my build manual is on a pc that needs a battery replacement (Microsoft surface) so needs to be sent away to be fixed and my Mainline is at my brother's house. Try asking on the bottlehead forum.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #698 of 796
I'm not able to find out my build manual is on a pc that needs a battery replacement (Microsoft surface) so needs to be sent away to be fixed and my Mainline is at my brother's house. Try asking on the bottlehead forum.

Heh, I did. A week later, there is still no reply. They’re usually super helpful.

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #699 of 796

I need a 1,5-2uF capacitor on input of amplifier. I wondering between Mundorf Supreme, Jantzen Alumen Z-Cap, CDE 942C. What is the best choice?
The price and the size of this caps its good for me.

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #701 of 796
The CDE are decent for their price. Still, nothing to write home about.
The mundorfs were disappointing to say the least.
I have not tried the Jantzen.

Here have good words for Alumen Z-Cap

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

"Sound: Jantzen Audio seem to know what they are doing with this Alumen Z-Cap. They have created a modern day capacitor that doesn't sound "modern". This might be a strange way of describing what I mean, but to me it combines the best of both "modern" and "vintage" worlds. The music flows, has a smooth presentation and at the same time it is high in contrast. The Alumen Z-Cap has high resolution in a natural way, it is without glare that you usually get with some of those "high-end" capacitors. There is an adictive balance between warmth on one side and and openness on the other. Tonally speaking it is the exact opposite of the Mundorf Supreme EVO Gold Oil that is at a similar high quality level. The Mundorf MCap Supreme EVO Silver Gold Oil is a very clean, detailed and open sounding with lots of contrast, great depth and heaps of micro detail. The Jantzen Audio Alumen Z-Cap is also open and also has lots of contrast but does it with a warmish undertone. Where as the Mundorf can get a bit on the lean side of neutral in some situations, the Jantzen maintains coherency under all conditions. The combination of and balance between these characters is spot on and make the Jantzen Audio Alumen Z-Caps create music with a great sense of realism. Comparing the Alumen Z-Cap to other aluminium foil capacitors like the Jupiter HT BeesWax Paper you understand what I mean with a modern day capacitor that doesn't sound "modern". The Jupiter HT Beeswax has a similar clear and open presentation but also slightly rounder and softer, more "vintage" if you like. In direct comparison the Alumen Z-Cap is more neutral (as you might of guessed by now, I like my music to sound neutral). Compared to the extremely neutral Duelund RS copper foil, the Duelund gives you richer harmonic overtones but with slighlty less sparkle at the top. In the end the Duelund does show you what real absolute neutrality is - although to obtain that you need to spend a lot more money. Taking that into consideration, the Jantzen Audio Alumen Z-Cap is an absolute bargain! I also found the Jantzen Audio Alumen Z-Cap to mix extremely well with the Clarity Cap CSA and CMR. Both types blend together seamlessly with the Alumen Z-Cap. Overall the combo with the CMR is more lush and spatious with a wide and deep image. It paints a bigger image. The combo with the CSA projects the image more forward and sounds a little brighter. Although the slightly brighter presentation with the CSA can be welcome in some cases / recordings, over extended periods of time I prefered the smoother sound of the Clarity Cap CMR with the Alumen Z-Cap. I have added the Jantzen Audio Alumen Z-Cap to my favourites list. "

After this review I tend to choose Alumen Z-Cap over Supreme, but I hesitate over 942c

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #702 of 796
Definitely go for Alumen. Very saturated sound with lots of detail. It sounds so natural. Worth to try.

Also WEET WMH sounds really good. Same aluminum ones.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #703 of 796
Anyone ever tried NOS Siemens MKL capacitors? Did a search on this thread but didn't find anything specific.

I was thinking on using the following to replace the stock capacitors on my Fxaudio Tube 03:

s-l1600_1.jpg
s-l1600_2.jpg

Thanks

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #704 of 796
Hey all!
I'm Looking to upgrade the output caps in my 6SN7 line gain stage. Currently using a pair of AudioPhiler MKP 400V 2.2uf.

Any recommendations?

Edit: No set budget but looking to limit it under 100USD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back