Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Feb 8, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #676 of 796
test

caps.jpg

capss.jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #677 of 796
Great thread! I recently put in some 10uf 400vdc auricap xo in my bottlehead mainline, and I’m looking to make some changes to my crack as well. I have two 100uf Kzk white line coming to replace the cracks output caps, so I’m open to suggestions for either bypassing them, or changing/bypassing the 220uf final ps cap.

May 21, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #678 of 796
Great thread! I recently put in some 10uf 400vdc auricap xo in my bottlehead mainline, and I’m looking to make some changes to my crack as well. I have two 100uf Kzk white line coming to replace the cracks output caps, so I’m open to suggestions for either bypassing them, or changing/bypassing the 220uf final ps cap.

Have you thought about doing the Triad cx-7 choke mod on the Crack the choke is around $12 but it is so effective at reducing ripple noise you will be able to use a 100uf cap instead of s 200uf if your thinking sbout swapping the 200uf electrolytic for a film its worth considering for that last power supply capacitor and still achieve much lower ripple than the stock crack. A 100uf film will cost a lot less and be smaller and easier to fit than a 200uf if intended to fit in the stock enclosure dimensions need to be checked carefully to make sure it all fits.

Have fun

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #679 of 796
I’m hoping to drill as few holes in the top plate as possible, a Choke may require a couple more. Another idea is doing a 2.2uf bypass on the 220uf capacitor, and even potentially a .02 bypass on that. It’s simpler. How much greater the improvement with a choke and 100uf film capacitor?

May 21, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #680 of 796
I’m hoping to drill as few holes in the top plate as possible, a Choke may require a couple more. Another idea is doing a 2.2uf bypass on the 220uf capacitor, and even potentially a .02 bypass on that. It’s simpler. How much greater the improvement with a choke and 100uf film capacitor?

A choke for me is one of the best value mods you can do with the Crack I've built probably 7 or 8 in the past and done the mods on several as well as trying bypassing. If I was doing another for myself the choke and 100uf film is the way I would definitely go. If you try a google image search for the crack you should find a creative ways the choke can mounted.
Ps also have Mainline and Sex.

May 21, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #681 of 796
A choke for me is one of the best value mods you can do with the Crack I've built probably 7 or 8 in the past and done the mods on several as well as trying bypassing. If I was doing another for myself the choke and 100uf film is the way I would definitely go. If you try a google image search for the crack you should find a creative ways the choke can mounted.
Ps also have Mainline and Sex.

I just put in a pair of Auricap xo in the mainline. Did you bypass your mainline caps? I won’t be doing anything to it for a long while so it can break in, I’m just curious.

May 22, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #682 of 796
I just put in a pair of Auricap xo in the mainline. Did you bypass your mainline caps? I won’t be doing anything to it for a long while so it can break in, I’m just curious.
I upgraded my Mainline caps to 10uf RTI Teflon tin foil capacitors. Out of curiosity I did run some 0.47uf Duelund cast coppers as bypasses on the teflons but it was more to get some hours on the duelunds before I stalling them in my phono stage (Bottlehead Eros). I liked the results well enough that at some point I will try the Duelund silver foil bypass caps. But happy enough to wait till I see a good deal on them.

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #683 of 796
Just popped in some Russian FT-3 to bypass the 10uf Auricap XO. They're .1 caps. Currently I'm giving them some burn in, and i'll give it a listen tonight. It will be interesting to see if these do anything positive, as I've heard very conflicting reports about bypassing these. I'll leave them in for at least a couple months to give them a run, and then either remove them and leave the caps alone, or replace them with K90y caps of the same value to see if I like those more. The FT-3 at .1uf are almost the same size as the 10uf auricap xo.

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #684 of 796
Hi, I want to try taking the case off of SSG3 mica caps and putting them in wax. Has anyone done this and has advice? I don't want to spend hours filing down the steel case! Can I use a dremel grinder? How much space is there in the case? Is there something better than wax to put them in? Thanks! Henry
SSG-3.jpg

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #685 of 796
Are Cornell Dublier 942 better than 940

A New Industrial, mid-price Cap. Cornell Dubilier 942C

A little while ago, I stopped by Tony Gee's Capacitor Reviews and found he recommended a new cap, the CDE 940C. Since I was going to place an order for parts anyway, I looked for and found them at Mouser. While researching Tony's 940C, I also found the 942C.

The 942C is an interesting construction. It is a combination of metalized Polypropylene and film/foil Polypropylene. So I decided to order both the 940C and the 942C at 1 uF as coupling caps. Tony as already given a very good review of the 940C, so I will just say that I found similar results, the 940C is a very neutral cap for a good price.

One thing that I appreciate in a cap are those caps that bring out the dynamics in the music. Some of the Mundorf Supreme line do that very nicely. The Rike S-Caps I have seem to do that as well. I'm sure there are other premium caps that are great at this, but a Supreme Silver Oil and a True Copper are as premium as I have experienced.

The 942C was a pleasant surprise in the dynamics department. It has a nice frequency balance, fairly neutral across the range with perhaps a touch of emphasis in the treble range. There is good bass, a solid mid-range that is neither warm nor cool, nice detail, and a good sound stage. But it also has a nice sense of dynamics and that makes it attractive to me, especially at this price point.

I put it in the photo with the Mundorf Supreme because I think it has a character that is quite a bit like the Supreme, but at about half the price. Of course, neither of these caps is a world beater, but they are very good mid-range caps. I also showed both in the photo to show the size of the 942C. It's huge!

Crossover

Based on my listening results as a coupling cap, I decided to include the 942C in a tweeter crossover project. For a total value of 10 uF, I used two 940C at 4.7 uF each and a 0.68 uF 942C in a tweeter crossover. This worked as I had hoped and gave me a clear tweeter sound and nice dynamics.

After completing the speakers, I went back and listened to several coupling caps on the amplifier. That brought me a bit of a surprise. When using the 942C as coupling cap and crossover cap, the result was a strained tweeter response. It's true that this particular tweeter also has a peak from 7 to 10kHz, so it may be that the caps, combined with the tweeter peak, were too strong. That said, other coupling caps were fine, so it proves again that you can have too much of a good thing.

Overall, I find the 942C to be an excellent value and an excellent choice for many projects. As always, systems vary and you have to be careful how you mix together different components, but I recommend giving the 942C a try.

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #686 of 796
I had been thinking bout trying the Duelund silver foil bypass capacitors for a while now after installing their Cast Copper capacitors as output capacitors in my phono stage a few years ago.

Duelund very recently announced a new version of their silver and copper foil bypass caps along with slashing the price by 50% due to improved synergy after taking over Jenson who were winding them for Duelund. The new improved version is called the Duelund JDM (Jenson Domestic Market).

After installing the silver foils in bypass configuration onto the 10 uf RTI Teflon Tin foilb output capacitors I use in my Bottlehead Mainline parrafeed headphone amplifier I have been listening to tunes through them for five days now.

Current chain
Roon Rock (all SSD) >Oppo205 DAC >Bottlehead Mainline amp> Sennheiser hd800 (balanced cable)

These silver foils are quiet something the improvement has been significant and across the board from top to bottom.

It's hard not to gush but in all honestly it feels like I am listening to a different dac and that's not some thing I expected to be saying or say lightly.

For £35 a pop I think they are a steal for the improvement I'm hearing on the Mainline.

For clarification I purchased theDuelund JDM Silver foil myself from Hificollective in the UK

Congratulation to Duelund for making such a superb product available at such a affordable price.

IMG_20200707_145030.jpg

IMG_20200707_145039.jpg

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #688 of 796
I had been thinking bout trying the Duelund silver foil bypass capacitors for a while now after installing their Cast Copper capacitors as output capacitors in my phono stage a few years ago.

Duelund very recently announced a new version of their silver and copper foil bypass caps along with slashing the price by 50% due to improved synergy after taking over Jenson who were winding them for Duelund. The new improved version is called the Duelund JDM (Jenson Domestic Market).

After installing the silver foils in bypass configuration onto the 10 uf RTI Teflon Tin foilb output capacitors I use in my Bottlehead Mainline parrafeed headphone amplifier I have been listening to tunes through them for five days now.

Current chain
Roon Rock (all SSD) >Oppo205 DAC >Bottlehead Mainline amp> Sennheiser hd800 (balanced cable)

These silver foils are quiet something the improvement has been significant and across the board from top to bottom.

It's hard not to gush but in all honestly it feels like I am listening to a different dac and that's not some thing I expected to be saying or say lightly.

For £35 a pop I think they are a steal for the improvement I'm hearing on the Mainline.

For clarification I purchased theDuelund JDM Silver foil myself from Hificollective in the UK

Congratulation to Duelund for making such a superb product available at such a affordable price.

IMG_20200707_145030.jpg
IMG_20200707_145039.jpg

Very cool! So you bypassed the 10uf with .01? I’ve been looking at the duelund jdm myself. I may try the copper but I’m undecided. Currently have a 10uf auricap xo bypassed with a .1 Teflon ft-3. I was considering replacing the Teflon with a Miflex kpcu 01 (cheap at $20 for .1uf) but a second bypass with the duelund is intriguing too. Any thoughts?

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #689 of 796
Very cool! So you bypassed the 10uf with .01? I’ve been looking at the duelund jdm myself. I may try the copper but I’m undecided. Currently have a 10uf auricap xo bypassed with a .1 Teflon ft-3. I was considering replacing the Teflon with a Miflex kpcu 01 (cheap at $20 for .1uf) but a second bypass with the duelund is intriguing too. Any thoughts?

Yes that's correct I bypassed the my 10uf with the 0.1 silver Duelund. I like the ft3 very much and have used them in several builds myself. The Milflex seems to get mixed reviews from what I've read online but have not tried them myself. Personally I would just go straight auricap with JDM duelund bypass copper or silver.

What I didn't mention in the above post which relates to the Mainline is that the 0.47uf Cast Copper Duelunds I have in my phono stage pror to installing in the phono amp were used as bypass on the same 10uf caps in the Mainline to help burn them in a bit quicker around 200 hours.

The cast copper made a noticeable difference when used as a bypass in the Mainline but in comparison didn't come anywhere close to what I felt was a step change in performance the silver foil JDM gave in the same position in the Mainline.

Oct 18, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #690 of 796
Yes that's correct I bypassed the my 10uf with the 0.1 silver Duelund. I like the ft3 very much and have used them in several builds myself. The Milflex seems to get mixed reviews from what I've read online but have not tried them myself. Personally I would just go straight auricap with JDM duelund bypass copper or silver.

What I didn't mention in the above post which relates to the Mainline is that the 0.47uf Cast Copper Duelunds I have in my phono stage pror to installing in the phono amp were used as bypass on the same 10uf caps in the Mainline to help burn them in a bit quicker around 200 hours.

The cast copper made a noticeable difference when used as a bypass in the Mainline but in comparison didn't come anywhere close to what I felt was a step change in performance the silver foil JDM gave in the same position in the Mainline.

You mean .01 Duelunds, right? Thats one of the questions I had: if it made a difference with a 1/1000 bypass as opposed to a 1/100. I suppose I could just experiment leaving the Ft-3 in or not. I do think I'll take your advice on the silvers vs the copper. I was thinking a bit of a darker sound, but I think you've convinced me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back