Ordered Leben cs300xs (Arrived with photos)
Sep 27, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #76 of 144

Quote:
I switched out the 5751 for RCA 7025.  As expected there is more gain and the sound is good.  Guess I will be sticking with these for a while.  Curious if Leben made some design changes between the cs300x and the cs300xs.  The tube socket in my XS does not list 5751 tubes but  the X version did.  In any case still digging it.  Lou Reed's Take No Prisoners live is phenomenal with the Leben and the LCD-2s.
o2smile.gif

The RCA 7025 has a reputation as being an absolutely outstanding tube.  I have never found a pair NOS, and have shied away from buying them used. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #77 of 144

My cs300xs has the 5751 label...interesting
I am going to buy some NOS JAN Philips 5751 and genalex gold lion N709/el84, any comments on my choice? hope the very small buzz on T1 can be solved by rolling tubes

The Leben looks great and sounds great!! has some sort of synergy with Denons, now considering a pair of D7000. My leben is getting better and better in SQ burning-in. 
L3000.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #78 of 144
cs300x(s) owners, do you guys pair your leben with speakers? which brand do you think matches the best? I am thinking of proAc D1, Dali mentor menuet, harbeth p3esr. I auditioned the proAc 1sc in the shop when I bought the cs300xs, they sound great driven by cs300(xs)!

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #79 of 144
Just FYI, I prefer the JAN Sylvania 5751 over the Philips.  And the Sylvanias are only a little more money.

I use my Leben only with headphones.

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #81 of 144
godog,

Jeff Day uses Harbeth Super HL5 with his Leben CS600  http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?page_id=521 . He also has a review in Positive Feedback online issue 43  http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/leben.htm  were he compares the CS300 and the CS600 (he loves them both).  I believe in the review he was using Harbeth 40.1's.  Johnathan Halpern (Tone Imports) won best of show a couple of times with the Leben CS300 and CS600 using ProAc (I think the Response D two's) and deVore speakers  http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=631 .

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #82 of 144
Heh, recently worked with Jonathan Halpern to acquire a CS300-XS through Don Better Audio (just got it yesterday after placing the order only 4 days prior, excellent dealer).  I don't even have the voltage converter to listen to it yet!

That Positive Feedback article might have made me think twice when I purchased four new *original* Mullard EL84 tubes from audiotubes.de, but I'm comfortable with my decision and still can't believe that I found new Mullards.  Really can't wait to start breaking the Leben in.

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #83 of 144

Quote:
Heh, recently worked with Jonathan Halpern to acquire a CS300-XS through Don Better Audio (just got it yesterday after placing the order only 4 days prior, excellent dealer).  I don't even have the voltage converter to listen to it yet!

That Positive Feedback article might have made me think twice when I purchased four new *original* Mullard EL84 tubes from audiotubes.de, but I'm comfortable with my decision and still can't believe that I found new Mullards.  Really can't wait to start breaking the Leben in.

4 days! Four? Where do you live? I live in San Francisco and it took me more than 5 weeks for mine to arrive at my doorstep and it also began with a call to Jonathan Halpern. Even though it took that long the transaction was very pleasant.

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #84 of 144
the price makes me cry, but it looks so lovely 
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #86 of 144

Quote:
Clayton SF - I live in Green Bay, WI, but I think the reason for the speedy arrival is (quoted from Don Better):
"Yeah, there was 1 in stock so you didn't have to wait."

I see. How fortunate of you. Also, if you got it through Jonathan Halpern, I believe that you won't need a voltage converter because Jonathan only imports the 120v version (or am I wrong?). The 100v versions come from ordering directly from PriceJapan.com or other means.

Oct 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #87 of 144
You're right!  Well don't I feel silly.  Had I bothered to fully examine the Leben (and I'm crazy for not doing so because it's a beautiful amp), I would have seen "120VAC" written plain as day.  I was even about to order a converter.  I should send you $30 for saving me from my stupidity, Clayton.

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #88 of 144

Quote:
You're right!  Well don't I feel silly.  Had I bothered to fully examine the Leben (and I'm crazy for not doing so because it's a beautiful amp), I would have seen "120VAC" written plain as day.  I was even about to order a converter.  I should send you $30 for saving me from my stupidity, Clayton.

Glad to have helped. It was worth $30 just to have known that I had helped a fellow Leben owner. That's what these forums are for.
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #89 of 144
Congrats dsticker - look forward to reading about how you like it!

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #90 of 144
So the headphone section is built to a high standard instead of a convenient feature (like some manufacturers do).

Would be interesting to put it up against Yamamoto...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back