Ordered Leben cs300xs (Arrived with photos)
Jul 17, 2010 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

Double F

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered a Leben CS-300xs from Pricejapan.  The site claims the limited edition version with the Sovtek EL84 has been discontinued.  Does anyone know what tubes it ships with now?  Did it go back to the Mullards or should I just be surprised
L3000.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 144
Yeah, pretty sure you'll be getting Sovteks. And I'd replace those if I were you. Even some Sylvania, RCA, or GE tubes will sound better. I'm using Sylvania black-plate 6BQ5's and Hytron 5751's in my CS300X - and loving every minute of it! Congrats on your purchase - the Leben is absolutely terrific.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 144
Thanks guys! I kind of figured it would have Sovteks, $60 a quad versus $400 for NOS Mullards.  The pricejapan description is very confusing and a email from Kaneda at pricejapan did not clarify:

[size=x-small]Sorry to say that we do not know the internal details of CS300XS, and that we do not know what is different from 'limited version'(already discontinued) and current 'normal version'.[/size]

I thought the "S" at the end denoted Sovtek but why would a current production tube be a "limited version"?  Hopefully the S now stand for black plate Sylvanias
smile_phones.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 144

Quote:
Thanks guys! I kind of figured it would have Sovteks, $60 a quad versus $400 for NOS Mullards.  The pricejapan description is very confusing and a email from Kaneda at pricejapan did not clarify:

[size=x-small]Sorry to say that we do not know the internal details of CS300XS, and that we do not know what is different from 'limited version'(already discontinued) and current 'normal version'.[/size]

I thought the "S" at the end denoted Sovtek but why would a current production tube be a "limited version"?  Hopefully the S now stand for black plate Sylvanias
smile_phones.gif

LOL!  Very funny
biggrin.gif

It will be interesting to know what you do get.  Some Leben amps did come with NOS tubes that were not the expensive Mullards.  I bought mine used, with no tubes included at all, which was a-ok with me, since I have lots of tubes
wink_face.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 144
I'm using a converter. $29 at voltageconverters.com

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 144

The Leben arrived safely today via DHL. .  Few photos:

o
It has Sovtek EL84s but a Quad of Sylvania Black plate 6bq5/EL84 in route.  Build quality is quite impressive and it has understated  good looks.   Wife approves but I think because she dislikes the Woo WA2 look (reminds her of Dr Frankenstein's lab)

I did a brief listen to make sure it made the trip intact.  Sounds a little brash at top end but again this was just a cursory listen with Sovteks.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #10 of 144
Beautiful pics.  Don't you love those beautiful custom transformers?  If you want to know why the Leben sounds so good, those trafo's are a major, major reason.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 144

Quote:
The cheappo voltage converter WILL degree the SQ quite bit. A member iamoneagain, who was using one, and we did a test on this.

Impressive craftmanship on those amps

The one I am using isn't the cheapo that pricejapan sells.  It's a pretty beefy step-down, and all it's doing is stepping the voltage down from 120V to 100V - hardly a difficult talk.  And running a 100V device from 120V directly is very likely to result in problems down the road.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 144

Quote:
It will shorten the component's life, that is for sure.

I don't believe so.  A step down transformer of this type is similar to isolation transformers like Equi=Tech used by audiophiles for power conditioning.  If anything it would increase the longevity of the product by filtering out junk coming from the power lines

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 144
I'm pretty sure Seamaster meant that NOT using the step-down transformer would shorten the component life :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back