Ordered Leben cs300xs (Arrived with photos)
Aug 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #47 of 144

Quote:
Quote:

Ever consider T1?  I tried once with Leben and it sounds fantastic.

Really? No I haven't tried the Telsa? OMG it's $1.3K. Oh well. I shall check it out. Maybe my audio guy as one I can try out in his shop.

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #48 of 144
It really makes the T1 sings. So dont miss it!  :)

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #49 of 144

Quote:
It really makes the T1 sings. So dont miss it!  :)

I've also heard about the LCD-2. So maybe I've narrowed it down to the T1 and LCD-2. Again, I'd have to depend on people's good opinion to make a choice for I have neither to audition myself. :frowning2:

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #50 of 144

Maybe you can order both with return policy. Keep the one you like and return the other. You wont miss the whole world in this case. :)

Quote:
I've also heard about the LCD-2. So maybe I've narrowed it down to the T1 and LCD-2. Again, I'd have to depend on people's good opinion to make a choice for I have neither to audition myself. :frowning2:

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #51 of 144
Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a CS300x and was wondering if anyone here is using their 300 to do double-duty as a speaker amp. Speakers are Harbeths and CDP is an Ayre. Also looking for any info on the differences between the X and XS, NOS tubes aside. 

thanks and best,

o

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #52 of 144
If I recall correctly, achristilaw uses his Leben with Harbeths.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #53 of 144
Dear Orkney,
I've had a 300xs for a couple years..  The already nice stock tubes were replaced with EL-85 Mullards circa early 50's and same era Sylvania 5751 in mine.  I have a set of 60's Telefunkens to try too.   If I am correct, you need (2) matched sets, not a Quad.  Jonathan Halpern was most helpful with this. 

My speakers are DeVore Fidelity 3XL, using Auditorium 23 Speaker Cable.  Really super great sound.   This is fed by a Mac-Mini to Bel Canto 2.5 DAC and also a McIntosh SR-67 Tuner.   I would like to tinker with other headphones, but have only used my Grado GS-1000i  and Grado 80i...tomorrow I am going to try out a pair of Senni 595's.  (I bought my whole dev team these headphones as a token of thanks for their hard work.)  Even if the 595's aren't great, they will be an incredible step up from what they currently use.  (now to find them an affordable head amp and DAC combo for the holidays)

To my ears, Leben is a fantastic sounding amp, headphone or other.  Funny, outside of this forum most enthusiasts are buying Leben as an Integrated Amp vs. Headphone.   The DeVore's are more musical and have more tonality than Harbeth, and I like the Harbeth British sound signature.  I also own Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's.  Very sweet, incredibly musical, but too difficult to drive to any SPL with the little Leben.  Maybe the Leben 600, but I have never heard it.  The Leben makes my Jazz and Blues sign, and I listen to lots of Alt Country that it drives the crap out of.  Very engaging.  Never fatiguing. 

Did you get yours from a dealer?  I believe I posted my concerns with the pennywise, pound foolish issue with Grey Market Goods.  To each their own, and you won't regret your Leben.  (if you ask the question I can't remember, but the XS version has upgraded internal components and cosmetics but I never compared the X vs. XS so I can't tell you the sonic difference.)

Cheers,
bret

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #54 of 144

Quote:
Dear Orkney,
I've had a 300xs for a couple years..  The already nice stock tubes were replaced with EL-85 Mullards circa early 50's and same era Sylvania 5751 in mine.  I have a set of 60's Telefunkens to try too.   If I am correct, you need (2) matched sets, not a Quad.  Jonathan Halpern was most helpful with this. 

My speakers are DeVore Fidelity 3XL, using Auditorium 23 Speaker Cable.  Really super great sound.   This is fed by a Mac-Mini to Bel Canto 2.5 DAC and also a McIntosh SR-67 Tuner.   I would like to tinker with other headphones, but have only used my Grado GS-1000i  and Grado 80i...tomorrow I am going to try out a pair of Senni 595's.  (I bought my whole dev team these headphones as a token of thanks for their hard work.)  Even if the 595's aren't great, they will be an incredible step up from what they currently use.  (now to find them an affordable head amp and DAC combo for the holidays)

To my ears, Leben is a fantastic sounding amp, headphone or other.  Funny, outside of this forum most enthusiasts are buying Leben as an Integrated Amp vs. Headphone.   The DeVore's are more musical and have more tonality than Harbeth, and I like the Harbeth British sound signature.  I also own Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's.  Very sweet, incredibly musical, but too difficult to drive to any SPL with the little Leben.  Maybe the Leben 600, but I have never heard it.  The Leben makes my Jazz and Blues sign, and I listen to lots of Alt Country that it drives the crap out of.  Very engaging.  Never fatiguing. 

Did you get yours from a dealer?  I believe I posted my concerns with the pennywise, pound foolish issue with Grey Market Goods.  To each their own, and you won't regret your Leben.  (if you ask the question I can't remember, but the XS version has upgraded internal components and cosmetics but I never compared the X vs. XS so I can't tell you the sonic difference.)

Cheers,
bret

Thanks very much for this post, Bret -- super helpful! I'd been about to buy used, but now have my suspicions about the seller's goods, since he's clearly lifted at least one pic directly from a review of the amp on Positive Feedback. Sigh. No dealer here in Canada near where I live but will contact Jonathan directly perhaps.

My Harbeths are the new P3ESRs -- couldn't part with 'em. I certainly enjoyed the Gibbons I heard a while back. Lovely speakers.

thanks again and best,

o

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #55 of 144
Just to add on speaker matching with Leben CS300x, I auditioned Leben with Totem Audio Sttaf, it was not less than fantastic, surprisingly, the bass can even go very low, lower than I ever expected from 15W Leben driving speaker.  Never match Leben with Harbeths tho.

It's an amazing amp!

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #56 of 144
Good Luck Orkney,
I would do my best to stay away from the grey market goods.  I made that mistake myself once and only once years ago with an Accuphase DP-78 CDP, that went bad.  I had to spend $600.00
to ship the unit back to Japan and back, and wait forever.  Plus, rightly nobody wants to buy them used as you have little options for fixing them if something goes south...

I am sure Tone Imports has good dealers in Canada.  I'd imagine they will stand behind their products, and the pay shipping so even if you don't get their direct support (listening and goofing off in their showroom) the dealer network will make sure you don't get stuck with a broken unit and provide a upgrade path.

This really is a special piece of gear.

My best,
bret

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #58 of 144
Hmmm...not according to the Leben website. The CS 300X is gone from the site, but not the XS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back