Ordered an Hifiman - What now?
Apr 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Galatian

Head-Fier
Hey guys (and girls),

I just put an order for a Hifiman HM-801 on headdirect in and now I start wondering what to do next. I already started ripping all of my CD's again to flac (had them as apple lossless). I heard XLD is supposed to be a good program but it seems to have problems with some of my CDs (it will show 700 min or so until it finishes one song), so right now I'm using Max which is a lot faster, though I'm not so sure if it makes exact copies of the disks as XLD does...

Also what about Break-In. Do I need to do it with the DAP? How would you recommend doing it?

Has anyone already swapped out the amps in the Hifiman (as I ordered the new module for IEMs)? Is it hard and do I need some preparations?

I hope somebody can answer me those question and I wish you all a good Easter weekend!

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 18
Just wait I guess. Probably mixed with a bit of praying for a quick delivery.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 18
So how hard is this thing to get running (anyone). I am a computer spaz. I would need to convert my Apple lossless to flac and drag and drop.. right.

What other issues currently exist?

FYI
Headroom is now selling these

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how hard is this thing to get running (anyone). I am a computer spaz. I would need to convert my Apple lossless to flac and drag and drop.. right.

What other issues currently exist?

FYI
Headroom is now selling these

Well thanks a lot for your sarcasm there buddy! Sure appreciate it. I guess I'll just figure it out myself how to convert a proprietary audio codec like apple lossless to flac on OS X...what are internet forums good for anyway?!?

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 18
Hi and welcome to the madhouse, I think many of us wonder at times what internet forums are for.

For the 801 you just wait and if Fang has them in stock it should only be a few days, if not be prepared for a longer wait. I suppose we all learn that while not the most communicative of people, he is reliable and you will get your machine.

I can’t recall the current consensus (if there is one) regarding burn in, mine sounded - standard driver board - great straight out of the box and still does. I understand the IEM version perhaps has more detail. Swapping amps is not difficult and a screwdriver is supplied, see the instructions on the web site.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 18
I have a 801 and I use a Macbook with iTunes and Apple Lossless. On the Macbook, I use Max to convert and copy the tracks I want on the 801 from Apple Lossless to FLAC, I don't delete the Apple Lossless tracks on the Macbook. I then move the FLAC tracks to my SDHC card and then delete them from the Macbook. There is no need to re-rip your cd's or convert your library to FLAC

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galatian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well thanks a lot for your sarcasm there buddy! Sure appreciate it. I guess I'll just figure it out myself how to convert a proprietary audio codec like apple lossless to flac on OS X...what are internet forums good for anyway?!?

confused.gif
I'm not sure he was being sarcastic. Anyway, there's a program for OSX called MAX, and it looks like it does ALAC to FLAC conversion:

Max from sbooth.org

If that helps any. BTW, I must say I'm a bit jealous. The 801 looks sweet!

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by OMG teh Jambands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
I'm not sure he was being sarcastic.

Yeah maybe he was ironic :wink: No problem I can play that game as well...

Quote:

Anyway, there's a program for OSX called MAX, and it looks like it does ALAC to FLAC conversion

Yes Max seems to work, but does it keep the quality? I thought that copying a file (and in that extant decoding and re-encoding it) would result in loss of some data, so I think I'll just stay with the exact copy of my discs...

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Yes Max seems to work, but does it keep the quality? I thought that copying a file (and in that extant decoding and re-encoding it) would result in loss of some data, so I think I'll just stay with the exact copy of my discs...

No, as long as you go from one lossless codec to another lossless codec there is no loss what so ever so just transcode from alac to flac. Don't know MAX as I'm a Windows guy but it might also do batch transcode like dbPoweramp does under Windows and then it is virtually a one click operation to convert your entire library.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

confused.gif

Galatian;6525547 said:
Yeah maybe he was ironic :wink: No problem I can play that game as well...

What game?

Please see post #166

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f87/hi...ml#post6483137

Once you figure it out can you please explain it to me....
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone living in NYC (Brooklyn) willing to tutor an idiot like me in converting files and using this I will pay a very decent hourly wage. Please PM me

I want it!

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Transcoding between lossless codecs (Apple Lossless -> FLAC) is lossless, so fear nothing.
A lot easier than re-ripping everything.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Transcoding between lossless codecs (Apple Lossless -> FLAC) is lossless, so fear nothing.
A lot easier than re-ripping everything.

Yeah, I thought that was the whole point of keeping everything in lossless. So you never have to re-rip!
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #15 of 18
I just thought that when you copy a file several times you will loose some data inevitably?!? Anyway I'll just try it out and if I do hear a difference I can still rip them again.

Do you have a certain CD that is recommended for a Burn-In or should I just go ahead and use my own music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back