ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Mar 22, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,232 of 1,288
how do they sound?
I just found JVs video and linked to this thread via google search
It has been a while since I have spent any time with the Oras - mostly because of the comfort (the headband is just too short) and also continuing problems with the battery charging (or rather failing to charge). In many ways I liked them more than my Pandas - without any EQ they were clearer, without the muddier and less resolving sound of the Pandas. I must admit that initially I really liked the sound signature, but over time I have realized the sound of the Ora lacks weight/punch, so they are not very engaging...

Given the ergonomics issue I have experienced, the battery problems I have experienced, and what for me is the less than impressive sound, I would advise a pass on these...

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,233 of 1,288
how do they sound?
I just found JVs video and linked to this thread via google search
@ToniChopper

Well, I finally got my Oras to charge again... Now that they work again I will need to spend some time refreshing my memory about the sound. Still not happy about the fit (due to the short headband extension), and really not happy by the hit or miss charging...

Oh, how did I get them to charge again...? I took inspiration from:

Seriously. I did not use a wrench or hammer, but some not so gentle tapping was involved. Clearly an open or short somewhere, which does not inspire confidence...

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,235 of 1,288
Use a slow charging port or adapter. No more than 500ma.
I’ve heard this before, and I don’t doubt it is true, but it is not what was happening in this case...

I had been trying and failing multiple days with multiple chargers. Last night I was trying to charge overnight from an external battery. Still nothing. Out of frustration I hit both earphones (left and right) simultaneously... all of a sudden the red light indicating charging came to life. Since then, no problem charging from the same sources that previously failed...

Almost certainly a short or open circuit somewhere, or a mechanical fault...

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,236 of 1,288
I’ve heard this before, and I don’t doubt it is true, but it is not what was happening in this case...

I had been trying and failing multiple days with multiple chargers. Last night I was trying to charge overnight from an external battery. Still nothing. Out of frustration I hit both earphones (left and right) simultaneously... all of a sudden the red light indicating charging came to life. Since then, no problem charging from the same sources that previously failed...

Almost certainly a short or open circuit somewhere, or a mechanical fault...
Yeah your set doesn't sound put together somewhere. I've had no problem with charging mine, always used a 2a charger (I've plugged in my 3.7a phone charger to it before and at least know that doesn't work). I overall do like the sound of the Oras quite a bit more than my Pandas stock to stock; I'm not sure about how it all sounded to you, but my experience had more bass weight/definition/punch out of the Oras than the Pandas and it was certainly much clearer. What I would agree with is engagement; I think they sounded pretty good, but the sum of the sounds was more clinical than I thought it should be given the fidelity of the individual traits. I did end up gifting them to my friend this past week though because I just don't need two sets of wireless headphones. The Pandas ended up a little more comfortable to me due to the Ora's short headband adjustment and lack of vertical cup pivot. Couple that with the clearly superior control scheme on the Panda (no one's going to convince me that earcup touch gestures are better than a button nub) and that in usage on my devices (YMMV), the volume stepping was more to my liking with the Panda, I didn't end up keeping the Oras.

If I had the sound of the Oras with the ergonomics and control of the Pandas (the Panda's could've also used larger cups IMO) along with more granular volume stepping (which could just be a "me" problem, I highly doubt many people use my device), it would be a compelling set of wireless headphones to me. I don't regret getting these at all, I only wish it worked out a bit better.

Mar 25, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,237 of 1,288
Yeah your set doesn't sound put together somewhere. I've had no problem with charging mine, always used a 2a charger (I've plugged in my 3.7a phone charger to it before and at least know that doesn't work). I overall do like the sound of the Oras quite a bit more than my Pandas stock to stock; I'm not sure about how it all sounded to you, but my experience had more bass weight/definition/punch out of the Oras than the Pandas and it was certainly much clearer. What I would agree with is engagement; I think they sounded pretty good, but the sum of the sounds was more clinical than I thought it should be given the fidelity of the individual traits. I did end up gifting them to my friend this past week though because I just don't need two sets of wireless headphones. The Pandas ended up a little more comfortable to me due to the Ora's short headband adjustment and lack of vertical cup pivot. Couple that with the clearly superior control scheme on the Panda (no one's going to convince me that earcup touch gestures are better than a button nub) and that in usage on my devices (YMMV), the volume stepping was more to my liking with the Panda, I didn't end up keeping the Oras.

If I had the sound of the Oras with the ergonomics and control of the Pandas (the Panda's could've also used larger cups IMO) along with more granular volume stepping (which could just be a "me" problem, I highly doubt many people use my device), it would be a compelling set of wireless headphones to me. I don't regret getting these at all, I only wish it worked out a bit better.
Yeah, mine likely have a build problem, but for now they are working. I also have the same comfort issue due to the headband size, though going to Brainwavz HM5 pads with larger openings provided a little relief.

I will need to spend more time this weekend comparing the Oras and Pandas, since it has been a while since I did any semi-serious A/B comparison with these. I certainly agree the Oras have a much clearer / clearer sound in stock form. EQ with Wavelet cleans up the Pandas. I haven’t tried EQ with the Oras to see what improvements are possible on the Ora.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,238 of 1,288
Yeah, mine likely have a build problem, but for now they are working. I also have the same comfort issue due to the headband size, though going to Brainwavz HM5 pads with larger openings provided a little relief.

I will need to spend more time this weekend comparing the Oras and Pandas, since it has been a while since I did any semi-serious A/B comparison with these. I certainly agree the Oras have a much clearer / clearer sound in stock form. EQ with Wavelet cleans up the Pandas. I haven’t tried EQ with the Oras to see what improvements are possible on the Ora.
Sounds like a decently good time to look forward to in my book :beerchug:. The other night I spent an hour going back and forth on them because I had originally just intended to get them charged and check that they worked fine before giving them to my friend the next day.

The reason I say to always take my thoughts with grains of salt is because I pair them via bluetooth on an iPod Touch 5g. No go-betweens, no EQ. I paired them both up to my iPod that night and as I went through my music, I simply paused, swapped headphones on my head and told iPod to switch to the other headphone before resuming playback, so each changeover was like 5 seconds. Stock to stock on my listening experience, Ora's fidelity definitely came out on top of the Pandas. Some of the highs are more aggressive than I'd like, if I were EQing, that would be my first stop to see if that would improve my overall listening experience. Meanwhile, the Pandas are at points, too mellowed out.

The headband is the largest comfort negative for me. I find the stock pads have large enough openings for my ears and I don't ding any points for discomfort from wearing glasses because every headphone is going to have that problem for me.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #1,239 of 1,288
The longer I have these, the more they’re absolutely forever keepers. They sounds really great off of the iPhone dongle and Mac output because they’re so efficient.

If the AirPods Max sound “Clean,” these sound “Powerful.”

They’re repairable, can work passive, and are an incredibly cool piece of technology history. We’ll see graphene grow to change the world and these headphone speakers are the first big product to make it out of the lab.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,240 of 1,288
I have both the ORA and Panda. I've swapped out the pads on the ORA to HM5 Hybrid pads and the Panda with Sonarworks flat EQ.

To be brutally honest, I'm not an avid audiophile but I still think that the Panda is not on the same level as the ORA. The Panda makes me think that I'm stuck in the closet and the sound is just too muffled or dampened.

The ORA on the other hand is lively, good attack speed, and clarity is just right on stock EQ. Both were paired to my phone via BT, but even when wired, the ORA really opens up more than the Panda.

Tested using THX amp to have a fair comparison to the Panda, and also my Marantz setup.
20210405_214918_copy.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,241 of 1,288
I have both the ORA and Panda. I've swapped out the pads on the ORA to HM5 Hybrid pads and the Panda with Sonarworks flat EQ.

To be brutally honest, I'm not an avid audiophile but I still think that the Panda is not on the same level as the ORA. The Panda makes me think that I'm stuck in the closet and the sound is just too muffled or dampened.

The ORA on the other hand is lively, good attack speed, and clarity is just right on stock EQ. Both were paired to my phone via BT, but even when wired, the ORA really opens up more than the Panda.

Tested using THX amp to have a fair comparison to the Panda, and also my Marantz setup.20210405_214918_copy.jpg
Same and the Panda I got had very bad QC issues, lucky I was able to get rid of it when I did and god help the person I sold it to.

Buy the Monoprice 8323 for $18 and remove the dampening foam and tell me THAT isn't worth the money if you want a good throwaway pair, also Brainwavz XL pads too, people say use the normal ovals but I like the angled sheepskins.

Apr 5, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,242 of 1,288
Same and the Panda I got had very bad QC issues, lucky I was able to get rid of it when I did and god help the person I sold it to.

Buy the Monoprice 8323 for $18 and remove the dampening foam and tell me THAT isn't worth the money if you want a good throwaway pair, also Brainwavz XL pads too, people say use the normal ovals but I like the angled sheepskins.
I got the Panda during the pre-release on Drop. No issues with them so far but the hype is just hype. Really thought that they would address the claustrophobic issue with the new firmware but came out disappointed instead.

What I do like about them though would be the understated design, would probably keep them for travels just for that reason lol.

May 14, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,243 of 1,288
I've been reading much of this thread, can anyone help with some more detailed sound review with comparison this to some well known greats in each categories such as the Sennheiser HD650, AKG K712 (conventional) or Audeze LCD X (planar)?

May 14, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #1,244 of 1,288
I've been reading much of this thread, can anyone help with some more detailed sound review with comparison this to some well known greats in each categories such as the Sennheiser HD650, AKG K712 (conventional) or Audeze LCD X (planar)?
Creative Aurvana Live with more bass extension. They share a driver design. The tuning is weird though, low end hump, midbass valley. It's going to sound like other Harman tuned headphones aside from that quirk. Oh btw, the headband is very uncomfortable and way too small unless you have a very small head. My right channel spontaneously broke a week after arrival.

May 14, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #1,245 of 1,288
Creative Aurvana Live with more bass extension. They share a driver design. The tuning is weird though, low end hump, midbass valley. It's going to sound like other Harman tuned headphones aside from that quirk. Oh btw, the headband is very uncomfortable and way too small unless you have a very small head. My right channel spontaneously broke a week after arrival.
Well, that doesn't sound like a flaship-killer to me. What you mean with low end hump with midbass valley, is it like big sub bass with smaller midbass that doesn't interfere with mids/highs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back