ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Apr 2, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #1,008 of 1,288
Just got Monoprice's THX 887 today and boy oh boy, this is some killer amp with the ORAs. I feel as though soundstage has gotten more depth. Less 2D sounding. Maybe it's the separation.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #1,013 of 1,288
To all owners of both Ora and Mobius, I need an answer ASAP, could you please share your impressions on which of the two would be the most neutral and accurate for music production?
Of course for production I'd use them wired.
And without any Amp, directly to the notebook.
Although if you tell me "use them with this Amp and they'll be so much better" and the app wouldn't add latency, I might consider.

I've the Mobius and I like them quite a lot although they're not as lively and present as I'd like in the upper half of the spectrum, at least compared to the ATH-M50X (and their BT sister).
So, at first they sounded a bit dark to me.
But I got used.
I've modded the ATH-M50XBT with many different earpads (Brainwavz, Geekria) to try making them more neutral, at least as much as the wired version, and I've finally found one, the Brainwavz Sheep's Skin Angled, which would make them sound even more neutral than the wired version, plus some extra soundstage.
I've long debated with myself between them and the Mobius.
In part for the liveliness.
In part because the last firmware increases the bass and I am disappointed because they were so neutral before.
But I've decided for the Mobius anyway. I can on demand explain why in more detail.
I also compared with the Aventho Wireless (wanted to try the Amiron but too expensive and Beyerdynamics told me that the Aventho are more neutral).
I realise just now that I didn't try the MYI App yet, but out of the box the Aventho have zero chance against the Mobius.

Now, if the Ora are more precise, detailed, neutral, and accurate in the placement and separation of instruments, I'd go for them.
I can't EQ them, therefore they must be neutral out of the box or with an internal DSP and presets which don't need an app to work.

thanks a lot!
KAF

Apr 8, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,015 of 1,288
To all owners of both Ora and Mobius, I need an answer ASAP, could you please share your impressions on which of the two would be the most neutral and accurate for music production?
Although if you tell me "use them with this Amp and they'll be so much better" and the app wouldn't add latency, I might consider.

I've the Mobius and I like them quite a lot although they're not as lively and present as I'd like in the upper half of the spectrum, at least compared to the ATH-M50X (and their BT sister).
But I got used.
I've modded the ATH-M50XBT with many different earpads (Brainwavz, Geekria) to try making them more neutral, at least as much as the wired version, and I've finally found one, the Brainwavz Sheep's Skin Angled, which would make them sound even more neutral than the wired version, plus some extra soundstage.
In part because the last firmware increases the bass and I am disappointed because they were so neutral before.
But I've decided for the Mobius anyway. I can on demand explain why in more detail.
I also compared with the Aventho Wireless (wanted to try the Amiron but too expensive and Beyerdynamics told me that the Aventho are more neutral).
I realise just now that I didn't try the MYI App yet, but out of the box the Aventho have zero chance against the Mobius.

Now, if the Ora are more precise, detailed, neutral, and accurate in the placement and separation of instruments, I'd go for them.
I can't EQ them, therefore they must be neutral out of the box or with an internal DSP and presets which don't need an app to work.

thanks a lot!
KAF

The exaggerated Harman-esque curve on these is not what I’d personally use for production. I’d say that you should really consider the Neumann headphones for studio production, which will work with zero DSP.

I like the ORA but without a specific Harman or studio target and DSP/EQ, these are not the right tool for that job IMHO

Apr 8, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #1,016 of 1,288
The exaggerated Harman-esque curve on these is not what I’d personally use for production. I’d say that you should really consider the Neumann headphones for studio production, which will work with zero DSP.
You lost me there.
What does it mean for you Harman-esque?

I need BT.
I can only have one pair of headphones at the moment.
When I produce I stay sit, cable is not an issue.
But when I enjoy, I move all the time.
I use strictly BT since many years for listening.

So.
Unless you know another BT headphone which, once used wired, is more neutral and accurate, my only bet is mobius?
I get from your comment that you consider the mobius better than the ora for production?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #1,017 of 1,288
You lost me there.
What does it mean for you Harman-esque?

I need BT.
I can only have one pair of headphones at the moment.
When I produce I stay sit, cable is not an issue.
But when I enjoy, I move all the time.
I use strictly BT since many years for listening.

So.
Unless you know another BT heaven m headphone which, once used wired, is more neutral and accurate, my only very is mobius?
I get from you comment that you consider the mobius better than the ora for production?

Yes. If you want BT, Mobius or AKG371

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,018 of 1,288
Check out Toneboosters Morphit for producing with Mobius. There is automatic correction to Neutral diffuse, Harmon, and their own custom studio curve. Plus many others. I've been grooving on the Stellia curve lately to changes things up. It works as a plugin for daw's or media players that allow vst's such as foobar(and perhaps apo eq & music bee)

But I got used.

thanks a lot!
KAF

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,019 of 1,288
Check out Toneboosters Morphit for producing with Mobius.
Yes I had though about it, but there have been a few firmware updates, and I've personally seen how the last one noticably increases the bass (but why!? Damn it, it was so beautifully neutral before!).
I suppose that the compensation curve of Morphit was made with an older firmware, so it's not valid anymore.
And I don't want to invest money in something which becomes useless every time that the the guys at Audeze decide to change stuff.
Why don't they just use the internal DSP to give us also a neutral preset? They could do it much better than Morphit, and it would be there, in the headphones, no need of other software which consumes CPU and apparently (I've read in another forum) create problems when resampling.
Maybe we can ask them, and the more of us do it, the faster they will give us a neutral preset.

Btw I see that you too talk of Harmon...
I guess it must be some audiophile language.
Can you briefly educate me? Diffuse? Harmon?

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #1,020 of 1,288
Yes I had though about it, but there have been a few firmware updates, and I've personally seen how the last one noticably increases the bass (but why!? Damn it, it was so beautifully neutral before!).
I suppose that the compensation curve of Morphit was made with an older firmware, so it's not valid anymore.
And I don't want to invest money in something which becomes useless every time that the the guys at Audeze decide to change stuff.
Why don't they just use the internal DSP to give us also a neutral preset? They could do it much better than Morphit, and it would be there, in the headphones, no need of other software which consumes CPU and apparently (I've read in another forum) create problems when resampling.
Maybe we can ask them, and the more of us do it, the faster they will give us a neutral preset.

Btw I see that you too talk of Harmon...
I guess it must be some audiophile language.
Can you briefly educate me? Diffuse? Harmon?
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

Skip down to the section titled Historical Target Response Curves, and read down until at least the part talking about the Harman curve.

Basically Diffuse Field is a target response developed by having measuring sound played in an extremely reverberant room at a dummy head in the center. Harman is a target response developed in a more realistic room setting, being developed by the preferences and perceived flatness of the many research subjects. The result is an averaged target response. It tends to be slightly warmer in sound compared to diffuse field, but also tends to more accurately represent what a room in the recording studio would sound like.

Most people would probably prefer a Harman targeted headphone over diffuse field, although diffuse field might sound more spacious and have better imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back