ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Feb 14, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #781 of 1,288
Alright..

I'm not sick anymore, I can respond again.

Headband adjustment from Eric doesn't really help terribly much. Still not comfortable for longer periods of time.

My initial impressions stand. Bass is large in quantity but lacking in quality.

Regarding that guy saying they are much better than his HD6xx's.. I unfortunately cannot concur. Though they are *much* brighter, almost painfully so.

I will concur with the touchpad being mediocre, the amount of movement required to get a change, especially volume, is just way too much.

Would take my Mobius over Ora in comfort and sound unfortunately.

I haven't bothered amping them on my actual setup yet, mostly because that's not their intended use, and they need to sound good over BT.

One huge plus for Mobius over Ora is the fact that Mobius can run off USB-C and Ora is strictly charging.

Edit: Forgot to mention they are indeed panned 60/40, and it is annoying.

Have you contacted Ora about a warranty exchange due to the channel imbalance?

Feb 14, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #783 of 1,288
I have not, mostly due to coronavirus, I was waiting for them to finish shipping the rest of the units.

Us buyers that don't have ours yet greatly appreciate you waiting :wink:

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #784 of 1,288
I have not, mostly due to coronavirus, I was waiting for them to finish shipping the rest of the units.

Hey Netherwind,

Eric here again. Sounds like your unit is still having some issues. 60/40 panning is not acceptable! I would think that would trump any other sound quality judgements particulary concerning bass and imaging. I suggest you contact Ora through the support email right away. It could be that one side has “burned-in” more than the other, possibly due to vibrations during shipping. I worry, though, because it seems like you have used them a fair amount at this point.

Even if you are willing to graciously wait until other backers have received their headphones, we should start a support ticket ASAP for your pair if it is imaging off centre. Also, please check the recommendations in the troubleshooting guide (www.ora-sound.com/gq-headphones). Pushing gently on the ear pads can help expedite the burn-in process.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #785 of 1,288
Alright..

I'm not sick anymore, I can respond again.

Headband adjustment from Eric doesn't really help terribly much. Still not comfortable for longer periods of time.

My initial impressions stand. Bass is large in quantity but lacking in quality.

Regarding that guy saying they are much better than his HD6xx's.. I unfortunately cannot concur. Though they are *much* brighter, almost painfully so.

I will concur with the touchpad being mediocre, the amount of movement required to get a change, especially volume, is just way too much.

Would take my Mobius over Ora in comfort and sound unfortunately.

I haven't bothered amping them on my actual setup yet, mostly because that's not their intended use, and they need to sound good over BT.

One huge plus for Mobius over Ora is the fact that Mobius can run off USB-C and Ora is strictly charging.

Edit: Forgot to mention they are indeed panned 60/40, and it is annoying.
I don't feel like fixing the channel imbalance is going to change the sound signature. Sure, it'll affect stage and imaging, but something like brightness doesn't change; one driver could just straight-up not be working and the working one is still going to sound bright anyway.

Not very surprised about the comments you and that other review had about the touchpad functions. I fully intended to not care about them and to avoid using them because I have yet to like touch functions on an IEM or headphone. Gimme buttons, those work so much better. I've learned from Bragi's The Headphone (an IEM, despite the name) that there really only needs to be 3 well-defined buttons (physically as well as in terms of software function) to make wireless headphones have good controls, so the argument of "not wanting too many buttons" doesn't apply at all. I know for sure even without trying the Oras that I would've liked them more if the control scheme was buttons instead of touch gesture.

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #787 of 1,288
there’s an update from Feb14 that suggests if you’re not in Canada/US, delivery depends on the coronavirus quarantine

so an update on the China shipping would be a global update, which I imagine they’ll do when they have information/updates

Feb 19, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #788 of 1,288
Received mine today, other then the terrible fitting... hmmm its not so bad. But I can see why some people love it and some people hate it.
Bass feel like it wants to be punchy but feels there is a slight lack in the sub bass and treble is bit forward as well, ultimately they are musical and enjoyable.
UGH my god this fitting... T__T headphone is slight small for me

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #790 of 1,288
Received mine today, other then the terrible fitting... hmmm its not so bad. But I can see why some people love it and some people hate it.
Bass feel like it wants to be punchy but feels there is a slight lack in the sub bass and treble is bit forward as well, ultimately they are musical and enjoyable.
UGH my god this fitting... T__T headphone is slight small for me

Do you have a big melon head, or would you say it’s average?

Feb 19, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #791 of 1,288
Do you have a big melon head, or would you say it’s average?
hahaha melon head, I am avg asian head I believe xD

Using my measuring tape, starting from my left ear where my glasses arm lays to the right side, going around to the top of my head, it measured 33cm.

So to be able to have my ear into the headphone cup, the headphone can't be rested on top of my head it is actually just leaning at the back of my head.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #794 of 1,288
Got mine today (Vancouver). I don't have an objective ear, but still these are my impressions. No complaints comfort- or style-wise. Construction quality looks fine. One pad popped off right out of the box, but I put it back on and it holds fine. Bluetooth connected without any problems (android, Huawei P20 light), indicates AptX HD. For some reason, Tidal has trouble streaming while playing through these (stops and shows the rotating thing), and it doesn't seem to happen with SkullCandy Crusher, which I normally use for bt. Also, bt with Ora has occasional buffering moments in the beginning of some tracks. I didn't have these problems with pre-downloaded tracks though. Sound quality is great for bluetooth, but then again, I can only really compare to Crusher, so it's not a proper competition.
Touch controls aren't very responsive/intuitive (what's that beeping sound when I try to increase volume?), but who cares. LED light is annoying, but again, I don't see it anyway.
Now, wired sound quality. Well, they are interesting, and that's what we want, right? It's strange. After my normal velvety Fostex TH-X00, these are less perfect but more detailed. Frequently it feels like a lot of bars were topped off on an equalizer. Their bass is heavy but somehow restricted, like nothing goes to the vibration level. My friend who plays guitar himself said that sound is cut off at some low frequency - he does this himself when playing to avoid losing detail (if I understood his explanations correctly).
But I'm still happy with them, because they are great with female vocals (Hayley Westenra, for example) - I like female voices high and aggressive, and Ora (with Dragonfly Red) does that better than Fostex.
These impressions were on my office setups (modi 2 + Bravo V2, Dragonfly), we'll see what they will do with my Topping D50 and Darkvoice 336SE at home.
(Edits: spelling)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #795 of 1,288

Users who are viewing this thread

Back