ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #61 of 1,288
Another possibility, since their production line is in China, is Xiaomi. After all, not only are they a large company, but they already do make both IEMs and full headphones, and pretty decent ones at that. With the added support of a larger company, Ora could find exactly what they're looking for both in backing and production capability if partnering with a company like Xiaomi.

Ha! Yes, intentionally ambiguous... I can say that it is DEFINITELY not Xiaomi. We only deal with reputable companies.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #62 of 1,288
Thanks for that link ^
Very helpful, informative, and interesting :)

We can tune the material with different crosslinkers, additives, and pre/post processing techniques. It is a balancing act between density, stiffness, and damping. The material we used in the prototype headphones has an E of 50GPa, Density of 1.1 g/cm^3, and damping -- tan(delta) of .065.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #63 of 1,288
Interesting. Could GrapheneQ be used to make a ribbon? Could it be used instead of Mylar in the capsules of condenser microphones?

Actually the first proof of concept we built back in 2014 was a ribbon mic. We wrote a paper for the AES about it (http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17467). It worked OK. Could be much better with more research but we are focusing on dynamic speakers now since there is much more demand / market for these than studio ribbon mics :)

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #65 of 1,288
ORA just provided the October Update: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...orlds-first-graphene-headphones/posts/2024367

"Manufacturing Partnerships + New Hires!

Dear ORA Backers,

First off, a BIG thank you to all who filled the BackerKit surveys that we sent out last month. For those of you who have not yet had the time to complete it, we kindly ask you to do so at your earliest convenience. We need your order details, confirmed shipping addresses and add-on information to fulfill your orders.

We also wanted to give you an exciting update on your GQ Headphones: ORA is thrilled to announce a manufacturing partnership with a renowned speaker manufacturer that has vast experience designing headphone drivers for JBL, AKG, Harman/Kardon and other respected brands. We visited their impressive facilities in China and are confident that they will help us tune, optimize and perform rigorous quality control on the GrapheneQ drivers that will power each of your GQ headphones.

Finally, we wanted to let you know that we’ve grown our team over the past month. Each hire will play a key role in the successful delivery of your GQ Headphones. The three talented profiles that joined our team are:

Aaron Huang - a senior mechanical engineer with more than eight years of experience in the electronics industry. He holds a master’s degree in Engineering Science and has collaborated with international ID firms, ODMs, OEMs and tooling manufacturers in Canada, America and Asian countries. He specializes in R&D, minimizing failure risk in product design, mechanical design for manufacturing/assembly (DFM/A), and manufacturing process.

Murilo Alvares - a transducer and loudspeaker applications engineer, who has designed dozens of products in the last decade for audio companies in Brazil (where he was born), Canada and United States. Murilo will be keeping a close eye on driver design and acoustic optimizations of the ORA GQ Headphones.

Felix Trottier Cournoyer - a Junior Mechanical Engineer recently graduated from Concordia University, where he participated in two COOP internships. The first was with Bombardier Aerospace where he assisted with Air Systems Integrations and project management while the second was with Aquatica Digital as Design Engineer for underwater camera housings."

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #66 of 1,288
Definitely a good sign that they are partnering with notables like AKG, JBL, Hk and the like. The technology has a lot of promise, but may take some time to introduce to the market in mass.

I wonder how this would perform for other applications, such as mobile speakers - if it could bring measurable benefit at a reasonable cost that is a big market.

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #67 of 1,288
Yes...looking good

Mention to ORA:

NAD HP70 and PSB M4U 8 use the recently released Qualcomm CSR8675 Bluetooth Audio SoC

"Both headphones are now aptX HD enabled Bluetooth 5.0, but that's just the start. The chip's 24-bit DSP has allowed him to fine tune his RoomFeel curve, and the USB port can take computer audio to 24/48 rates. Paul didn't use the built-in noise canceling circuits as he feels digital implementation has too much latency to work well and opted for fully analog feed-forward and feed-back circuits."

ORA Graphene Audio Creator response:

Yes PSB’s phones are very well thought out. I just had a sit down with Paul over the weekend - NAD and PSB are also Canadian companies. Paul was very helpful and gave us some great insights.

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #68 of 1,288
Definitely a good sign that they are partnering with notables like AKG, JBL, Hk and the like. The technology has a lot of promise, but may take some time to introduce to the market in mass.

I wonder how this would perform for other applications, such as mobile speakers - if it could bring measurable benefit at a reasonable cost that is a big market.

I think the partnership is with a Shenzen manufacturing partner of the aforementioned brands and will be part of the supply chain when the GQ enters production. I don't read this as new partners who are using GrapheneQ drivers.

RE; Mobile speakers: Yup, this is something ORA has been talking about quite extensively. This driver tech holds a lot of potential for cellphone and laptop speakers because of the combined efficiency and reproduction performance improvements.

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #69 of 1,288
I think the partnership is with a Shenzen manufacturing partner of the aforementioned brands and will be part of the supply chain when the GQ enters production. I don't read this as new partners who are using GrapheneQ drivers.

RE; Mobile speakers: Yup, this is something ORA has been talking about quite extensively. This driver tech holds a lot of potential for cellphone and laptop speakers because of the combined efficiency and reproduction performance improvements.

I agree with your reading of the latest update, but they have hinted in the past at potential partnerships with OEMs as well, which they most likely would not reveal publicly until/if a contract was agreed.

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #70 of 1,288
In case u missed the 'news' from kickstarter comments

ORA Graphene Audio Creator:

ORA is excited to announce we have received a $500k NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada) Grant to further our research into applying GrapheneQ to micro speakers for cellphones and tablets.
We will be working with professors Thomas Szkopek, Marta Cerrito, and Francois Barthelat.

Yes! We are on track, the Product ID has been finalized and sent to our contract manufacturer.
We are just going back and forth over some materials details and electronics design features and they will begin making the first production mock-ups soon.

We are sticking with aptX HD its looking like the Qualcomm 8675. Yes, it is expensive but it does a lot, including aptX HD.

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #71 of 1,288
Very interesting, but is not the first headphones with graphene on the market.
Xiaomi already has a headphones (curiously now the word "graphene" disappeared from their website, but seems the same). The earphones are still on the website disclaims graphene diapragm www.mi.com/en/headphonesprohd/ , they sound good, but there is better on market.

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #72 of 1,288
Very interesting, but is not the first headphones with graphene on the market.
Xiaomi already has a headphones (curiously now the word "graphene" disappeared from their website, but seems the same). The earphones are still on the website disclaims graphene diapragm www.mi.com/en/headphonesprohd/ , they sound good, but there is better on market.
To be fair to ORA, that Xiaomi product isn't a set of headphones. They're IEMs (earphones), totally different. No one has a full-size over-ear headphone with a graphene driver yet, at least not that I've seen. ORA is still the first in this arena.

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #73 of 1,288
To be fair to ORA, that Xiaomi product isn't a set of headphones. They're IEMs (earphones), totally different. No one has a full-size over-ear headphone with a graphene driver yet, at least not that I've seen. ORA is still the first in this arena.

I have had the Xiaomi Mi Headphones - 2nd generation with graphene drivers since July. There is a thread where they are discussed.. The thread was started last March. I will do some listening tonight with them.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/anyone-tried-the-gen-2-xiaomi-mi-hifi.840989/

These are headphones not earphones.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #74 of 1,288
I have had the Xiaomi Mi Headphones - 2nd generation with graphene drivers since July. There is a thread where they are discussed.. The thread was started last March. I will do some listening tonight with them.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/anyone-tried-the-gen-2-xiaomi-mi-hifi.840989/
Ah, interesting! The earlier link went to Xiaomi's IEMs, I didn't realize they released a second gen of their over-ears replacing the drivers. I will say, was never a fan of its aesthetic styling, but that's just me.

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #75 of 1,288

I think it would be even more fair to us to consider that Xiaomi's product does not use Graphene in any significant way. Rather Xiaomi just uses the word "Graphene" as a marketing tool. There is no performance improvement with the "Graphene coated polymer" material they use and it is highly questionable whether it contains Graphene at all. It's hard to confirm whether it contains Graphene since Graphene is carbon and most things contain carbon but one thing is for sure, it does not significantly improve sound quality.

https://www.graphene-info.com/do-xiaomis-new-earphones-use-graphene-membrane-improved-sound-quality

We have received samples of the material, however it is not stiff or particularly well-damped. We stand by our claim that we are the world's first graphene headphone (over 95% graphene by weight). The only real contender to the title is Dr. Zettl at UC Berkley who made an electrostatic ear-bud in his lab. This is super cool but far from being commercializable due to the cost and complexity in depositing large sheets of pristine Graphene. http://www.nsti.org/news/entry.html?id=259

If the material used in Xiaomi's products actually provided improvements, you would see it also in products from reputable manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back