OPUS#3 Hi-Res Audio player w/wifi and streaming
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #346 of 533
As far as I know, only system apps will crash in landscape. Third party apps seems to be fine.
The Android inside is actually not cut down Android.
It is Android without Gapps (Google apps like Google play services). And the apps are most likely locked in portrait.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #347 of 533
The Android inside is actually not cut down Android.
It is Android without Gapps (Google apps like Google play services). And the apps are most likely locked in portrait.

This we definitely know. That's why if you need to install apps that use Play services, it has to be patched 1st. I beg to disagree but to my knowledge, it's not a full blowb android OS - it's just heavily customized Android similar to what other manufacturers do - AK, Cayin. Or please correct me if i'm mistaken.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #348 of 533
I am amazed by Opus #3 once again!

I had an issue in my life and needed a DAP to be there with me. Happily, I took Opus #3 with me, which assisted me quite well, and provided to be a really nice companion. Now, I don't remember this being advertised anywhere at all (FiiO advertises this), but Opus #3 can stay a LOT in stand-by without consuming much battery. Mine has been in stand-by for over 24 hours now, and it consumed less than 5% of battery, from about 99% to 95%. The screen was off, and there was no music playing, but I didn't turn it off since I had to stop music from playing on a rush. Given that this is a hidden feature that is not even advertised, I gotta say, Opus #3 has given me a really nice surprise with this!

Might be better that I delayed my review a bit, exploring all the intricacies of Opus #3 allows me to fully understand it, and the more I use it, the better of a device it is in my eyes! :darthsmile:

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #349 of 533
Now, I don't remember this being advertised anywhere at all (FiiO advertises this), but Opus #3 can stay a LOT in stand-by without consuming much battery. Mine has been in stand-by for over 24 hours now, and it consumed less than 5% of battery, from about 99% to 95%. The screen was off, and there was no music playing, but I didn't turn it off since I had to stop music from playing on a rush. Given that this is a hidden feature that is not even advertised, I gotta say, Opus #3 has given me a really nice surprise with this!

It's actually advertised - http://www.audio-opus.com/?page_id=17235

Sleep Mode
allowing you to save energy for overall performance. Sleep mode will allow the device
to be in hibernation mode for about 4 weeks.

This feature was already implemented since they released the #1 and was passed on to the rest of their products.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #350 of 533
It's actually advertised - http://www.audio-opus.com/?page_id=17235

Sleep Mode
allowing you to save energy for overall performance. Sleep mode will allow the device
to be in hibernation mode for about 4 weeks.

This feature was already implemented since they released the #1 and was passed on to the rest of their products.

Oh, I see!

Well, I am really glad that they have it and I am really glad to report that it is working as intended! :darthsmile:

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #352 of 533
Jul 31, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #354 of 533
Definitely one of the most appreciated features of the Opus DAPs, along with the simplistic/smooth UI.

The only irritating part, with all Opus daps, it goes into sleep too fast once the screen is off, and you have to turn the screen back on to wake up HW playback control buttons.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #355 of 533
The only irritating part, with all Opus daps, it goes into sleep too fast once the screen is off, and you have to turn the screen back on to wake up HW playback control buttons.

I actually don't mind that one bit. It better be turning off fast to make sure it is saving me some powah :smile_phones:

It is rather intriguing to see how some apps can take control over the controls. This can be for the better for some users, especially if they use 3rd party apps almost exclusively (Like I am/was with PowerAMP). I wonder if this behavior is customizable somehow.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #356 of 533
I actually don't mind that one bit. It better be turning off fast to make sure it is saving me some powah :smile_phones:

It is rather intriguing to see how some apps can take control over the controls. This can be for the better for some users, especially if they use 3rd party apps almost exclusively (Like I am/was with PowerAMP). I wonder if this behavior is customizable somehow.

I'm yet to see a negative comment from you in any of the replies you have posted on head-fi forum or in fb audiogroups, George. You are either a very optimistic person who is easy to please or you like to please others a bit too much :wink:

I'm all for power saving when DAP is idling for a few minutes, but there is no way to select the delay and it goes into power saving within 10 seconds (or so) which is quite annoying. Not the end of the world, but still...

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #357 of 533

See this is only an issue with play/pause, as I can skip tracks when it's playing in my pocket without having to turn the screen on.

But if you pause music, then want to replay you have to turn the screen on, which is a pain. Would be nice to implement a wake system linked to the play pause button. But it is just a minor inconvenience that can be overlooked in my opinion as the player is so good

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #358 of 533
I'm yet to see a negative comment from you in any of the replies you have posted on head-fi forum or in fb audiogroups, George. You are either a very optimistic person who is easy to please or you like to please others a bit too much :wink:

I'm all for power saving when DAP is idling for a few minutes, but there is no way to select the delay and it goes into power saving within 10 seconds (or so) which is quite annoying. Not the end of the world, but still...

Meh, I don't like focusing on the negative parts. I'm relying heavily on third party apps and for me a huge part of why I'm so happy with Opus #3 is because I own a Xiaomi Smartphone and I installed this thing from the first day.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kimcy92.navigationbar&hl=en

I have some problems with lag.

I'll be honest, I am running lower and lower on free time, and I have very little time to enjoy music. I am really sensitive to random restarts or music stopping from playing or interference. Opus #3 doesn't have any of those, so I'm quite happy. There's no reason for me to please anyone, I'm just being honest with my experiences so far. The biggest issue I've ran into has been some system lag caused by my many apps installed, but nothing worse than my smartphone --- although I never had a smartphone that is more than mid-end of its time, like Xioami Mi Max.

I managed to reinstall the launcher, access all settings and all because I had Android before, but for most users I think that the default values are acceptable. Just by installing the app above you get access to accessibility settings and from there you can increase the font and do all sorts of things that will turn this into a much better product so you can call me one happy camper. I see no way of using a DAP without that side toggle nowadays, especially after Xiaomi spoiled me.

If I really needed to point something like a problem, maybe the battery life could had been longer, but my unit was neither new nor and I have not depleted it once during my average usage patterns, so I'll run a forced drain experiment and let you know how it goes.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #359 of 533
yep, and not just Sleep, but actually a Deep Sleep :)

:thumbsup:

If I really needed to point something like a problem, maybe the battery life could had been longer, but my unit was neither new nor and I have not depleted it once during my average usage patterns, so I'll run a forced drain experiment and let you know how it goes.

how long are you currently getting out of the #3? of course since you've installed apps (can i say a lot?), they might be running in the background and causing an impact on your battery life.

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #360 of 533
:thumbsup:

how long are you currently getting out of the #3? of course since you've installed apps (can i say a lot?), they might be running in the background and causing an impact on your battery life.

I seem to be getting quite a bit though, not very low. I'd say that around 7-8 hours of music playback with the volume set around 100 and 15% - 20% screen on time. Not bad by any means, but I always like more battery (Xiaomi Mi Max has a LOT of battery and I would still had wanted more). I gotta note, I always use maximum screen brightness for everything, including my monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back