OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Dec 24, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #436 of 1,240
I talked to Oppo sales and he confirmed the HA-2 is built on the ESS 9018K2M just as I suspected. Can't wait to see both products in around February 2015 and the price is quite right truly affordable, thanks Oppo for not gouging your customers.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #437 of 1,240
I talked to Oppo sales and he confirmed the HA-2 is built on the ESS 9018K2M just as I suspected. Can't wait to see both products in around February 2015 and the price is quite right truly affordable, thanks Oppo for not gouging your customers.

Did they say if they went with dual ESS 9018K2M?

Edit: I forget, does the HA-2 have balanced out?

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #439 of 1,240
Dec 28, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #441 of 1,240
does the oppo ship to mexico, and will the HA-2 work with walkman NWZ-A-10 (A17) USB digital OUT?

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #443 of 1,240
does the oppo ship to mexico, and will the HA-2 work with walkman NWZ-A-10 (A17) USB digital OUT?
Oppo will ship outside of the the USA, but standard warranty may not apply. Contact them directly for details.
Yes the HA-2 should work with the Wlakman.

US, Canada, and Mexico all qualify for the North American standard warranty but you need to deal with whatever taxes and duties are applied when it goes over the Mexican boarder. If there is a warranty issue Oppo Digital will provide paid shipping to these countries to send the unit in for repair and return to customer.

Not sure about the NWZ-A-10 compatibility. That's an Oppo Digital question.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #444 of 1,240
Apologies if this has been answered but I searched the thread and didn't find much recently but I wonder if any of the beta testers have impressions on isolation. I understand being circumaural and closed they should be okay but it's a pretty important consideration for me.

Thanks in advance.

I will say I've owned the OPPO 103 for a while now using it as a blu ray player and the dac within my audio set up and I love it, OPPO sound build quality is excellent and if the PM-3 HA-2 replicates this for my portable rig I am going to be a very happy chap.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #445 of 1,240
Oppo will ship outside of the the USA, but standard warranty may not apply. Contact them directly for details.
Yes the HA-2 should work with the Wlakman.

US, Canada, and Mexico all qualify for the North American standard warranty but you need to deal with whatever taxes and duties are applied when it goes over the Mexican boarder. If there is a warranty issue Oppo Digital will provide paid shipping to these countries to send the unit in for repair and return to customer.

Not sure about the NWZ-A-10 compatibility. That's an Oppo Digital question.

Thanks guys, i am waiting to it's release in 2015 (the HA-2 and the walkman [sony mexico already poster a teaser in their Facebook page haha]). The HA-2 looks sexy and it looks it performs well, the fiio's amplifiers look good too but i'm done with fiio products since my x3 failure.

Other thing i don't buy a fiio amplifier is because their output is rated at 20KHz... don't know for the Oppo HA-2 but it looks is capable of more, i would be satified with at least 40KHz output, or does the HP-out or line out has nothing to do how hi-res audio sounds in a hi-res audip-capable headphone?, f.e i Connect my MDR-1R capable of 80KHz to an headphone out rated at 20KHz they will deliver a hi-res flac full spectrum over the jack?

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #446 of 1,240
Other thing i don't buy a fiio amplifier is because their output is rated at 20KHz... don't know for the Oppo HA-2 but it looks is capable of more, i would be satified with at least 40KHz output, or does the HP-out or line out has nothing to do how hi-res audio sounds in a hi-res audip-capable headphone?, f.e i Connect my MDR-1R capable of 80KHz to an headphone out rated at 20KHz they will deliver a hi-res flac full spectrum over the jack?

Considering the HA-2 is pretty well-designed and OPPO has DSD and high-resolution playback as features, I wouldn't doubt if it was rated at above 20 kHz. However, then that number is useless anyway unless the standard deviation is reported (i.e. ±0.2 dB for example).

I'm not 100% familiar with DAC and amp designs, but with DAC filters, it seems like anything above 30 kHz is rejected even with slow roll-off filters or else aliasing can start to affect the sounds in the audible frequency band. How the amp responds to signals higher than 20 kHz is dependent on the design I suppose. Since the HA-2 has both a DAC and and amp in it, my guess is that it will properly handle signals above 20 kHz.

The "high-rez" stuff is all marketing in my opinion, and likewise for headphone frequency responses. Like I said above, the frequency range is a useless number without standard deviation values. For all you know, the MDR-1R could have a frequency response of 4 Hz - 80,000 Hz ±50 dB.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #447 of 1,240
Thanks guys, i am waiting to it's release in 2015 (the HA-2 and the walkman [sony mexico already poster a teaser in their Facebook page haha]). The HA-2 looks sexy and it looks it performs well, the fiio's amplifiers look good too but i'm done with fiio products since my x3 failure.

Why would you value a frequency output well beyond human hearing? It's like complaining you can't see the infrared light from your remote control. Approaching 20Hz and 20kHz our ears simply don't pick it up audibly. I also wish you luck finding music that lives outside of the 20Hz to 20kHz range. Unless listening to a tone generator you would not be playing back those frequencies. This frequency range has been chosen as the standard because that is the range we can hear (and quite often less), unless you're a dog.

It would be different if the specs listed a wide deviation but Oppo Digital is very good with tight specifications.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #448 of 1,240
Why would you value a frequency output well beyond human hearing? It's like complaining you can't see the infrared light from your remote control. Approaching 20Hz and 20kHz our ears simply don't pick it up audibly. I also wish you luck finding music that lives outside of the 20Hz to 20kHz range. Unless listening to a tone generator you would not be playing back those frequencies. This frequency range has been chosen as the standard because that is the range we can hear (and quite often less), unless you're a dog.

It would be different if the specs listed a wide deviation but Oppo Digital is very good with tight specifications.

no i'm not a dog but i think a hig output Freq response smoothes harsh highs or mids... i' not a dog
biggrin.gif
, i'm gay so i' m a bitch hah just kidding

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #450 of 1,240
Considering the HA-2 is pretty well-designed and OPPO has DSD and high-resolution playback as features, I wouldn't doubt if it was rated at above 20 kHz. However, then that number is useless anyway unless the standard deviation is reported (i.e. ±0.2 dB for example).

I'm not 100% familiar with DAC and amp designs, but with DAC filters, it seems like anything above 30 kHz is rejected even with slow roll-off filters or else aliasing can start to affect the sounds in the audible frequency band. How the amp responds to signals higher than 20 kHz is dependent on the design I suppose. Since the HA-2 has both a DAC and and amp in it, my guess is that it will properly handle signals above 20 kHz.

The "high-rez" stuff is all marketing in my opinion, and likewise for headphone frequency responses. Like I said above, the frequency range is a useless number without standard deviation values. For all you know, the MDR-1R could have a frequency response of 4 Hz - 80,000 Hz ±50 dB.

Thanks for the info about it, well in facr i prefer a well mastered CD (16-bits/44.1) than adding just 8 more bits to a BS-sounding record

Users who are viewing this thread

Back