OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Dec 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #467 of 1,240

I am currently using NAD Viso HP50, which are very highly regarded in their own right and deservedly so, with a FiiO X5 and when I was able to compare the HP50's directly against the PM-3 prototype at TAVES in Toronto in early November, there really was no contest. It took no time at all to determine that the Oppo's were the superior set of headphones. I already have the cash set aside for a pair as soon as they become available, I was that impressed by them.

sitting here listening to NAD HP50 driven by GO450, and also awaiting PM3 release, glad to know the improvement via PM3 was substantial.

do you recall in November if your PM3 experience was the more "open sounding/neutral" flavored PM3?
at RMAF Oppo had about 2 or 3 tunings of PM3, which I eagerly gave feedback in favor of the wider, neutral sounding set.

about the only deal killer for me would be if the Released version of PM3 was the warmer (less detailed?) version.
time will tell as 2015 approaches, but it would be great to know before/at release date what PM3 version made it to production.

Thanks.

I was able to audition all three prototypes that Oppo brought with them to TAVES. I definitely preferred one of the three prototypes over the other two, but I'm not sure which one it was in reference to the others. The pair I preferred had much better bass than the other two, not just a higher level of bass, but much more refined and fuller sounding with better dynamics. That pair also had much better imaging and soundstaging. One of the other prototypes had slightly better resolution, but also sounded a tad closed in and somewhat anemic in the bottom end and while not bright sounding in the absolute sense definitely brighter if direct comparison to the other two prototypes. Too large of a trade off in my opinion. If I had to guess, and it would only be a guess, i would have to say i probably preferred the warmer one as that is the type of sound i usually prefer. Even then I didn't find it lacking in detail except in direct comparison to one of the other prototypes which had less bass slightly subdued dynamics and less spacious imaging and soundstaging. Again the easiest way I can describe which I much preferred is to say the one with the highest bass level although that had little to nothing to do with why I preferred it, it is just the easiest way to differentiate between the three prototypes.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #468 of 1,240
What? I never claimed to be rich and don't personally like the HD800. I don't 'say' humans cannot hear beyond 20kHz (approximately), Mother Nature does. Do some research.

I buy high quality audio gear within my budget because it presents details to me in the recording that brings me closer to being there. I enjoy going in to a musical coma and value the gear that does a good job of music reproduction and not glossing over details I am capable of hearing in the tracks. If it can not be physically heard I wonder what the attraction is besides marketing hype. I'm not claiming that I have super hearing and I assure you I am educated on the anatomy of the human ear. We simply don't hear above certain frequency ranges just like we don't see all spectrums of light. If the HA-2 can reproduce music humans can hear in a clean and engaging way then I am interested.

I was trying to engage in an informative discussion based on the value of frequencies we can or can not hear and have opened an invitation to other opinions.

Obviously not the right place to have such a discussion.

Ok sorry i misunderstood you. well yes i prefer to have GOOD MASTERING, RECORDING EQUIPMENT, ENGINEERS... than just 8 more bits or sample rates of MHz ranges

I am listening to a CD, yes 16-bit/44.1Khz from 2012 and well this sacred music by Cipriano de Rore sounds spectacular, it's the good quality mastering of Hyperion records, just my 2 cents fro 24.bit and hi.rez bluff

tried so hard compraing a dsff (DSD data) against a 24-bit and i gave up, tossed to recucle bin the dsd and kept the 24 bits as they are (don't like to mess with the music files for resampling because i don't know what i am doing
biggrin.gif
, f.e apply dithering and so on things i dont know, I Just want the music to sound good)

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #470 of 1,240
When will these be available for online purchase? For someone with a colorfly c4,will this dac be necessary or just the headphones?

I can't really answer the first question, but the PM-3 prototypes have thus far been more efficient than the already impressive PM-1/PM-2, so I think the Colorfly C4 has plenty of power to drive the PM-3.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #472 of 1,240
  We are still hoping for a release within the first quarter. So between now and March.

Will those of out side North America be able to purchase direct from Oppo Digital ?

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #474 of 1,240
I can't really answer the first question, but the PM-3 prototypes have thus far been more efficient than the already impressive PM-1/PM-2, so I think the Colorfly C4 has plenty of power to drive the PM-3.

MORE efficient?? Wow! I can't wait to get my hands on a pair of them.
How does the weight of the PM-3 compare to the PM-1/2, if you are allowed to say?...

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #475 of 1,240
They are a little bit lighter and I'd say even more comfortable to wear.  I don't have the specs handy at the moment (and they're subject to change, anyway).

They isolate really well. If there's any ambient noise in the room at all, people standing nearby can't hear my music when I'm playing it as loudly I like. And it's great for shutting out sound, as well, allowing you to maintain a lower volume than you would if you were trying to drown out external noise. The PM-3 could be a good candidate for bedroom listening when someone else is trying to sleep.

Keep in mind that I'm a Beta tester, so feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt.
biggrin.gif

Mike

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #476 of 1,240
Damn,
  They are a little bit lighter and I'd say even more comfortable to wear.  I don't have the specs handy at the moment (and they're subject to change, anyway).

They isolate really well. If there's any ambient noise in the room at all, people standing nearby can't hear my music when I'm playing it as loudly I like. And it's great for shutting out sound, as well, allowing you to maintain a lower volume than you would if you were trying to drown out external noise. The PM-3 could be a good candidate for bedroom listening when someone else is trying to sleep.

Keep in mind that I'm a Beta tester, so feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt.
biggrin.gif

Mike

I hope they're not too bassy or muddy, otherwise they're sound pretty awesome with that build quality and design for portability in mind.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #477 of 1,240

biggrin.gif

Mike

Portable planar magnetic headphones with great isolation at around 400 bucks? Give me that with neutral, detailed sound and I'll never wear IEM's on the road again.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #478 of 1,240
  Damn,

I hope they're not too bassy or muddy, otherwise they're sound pretty awesome with that build quality and design for portability in mind.

I really can't say much about the sonic signature of the PM-3 because it's still evolving, but I spent a few hours this morning with a friend's V-Moda Crossfade M-100 on the OPPO HA-2 and seriously, I found the V-Moda to be exactly what you're trying to avoid.  
wink.gif
  It's sloppy and uncontrolled - using the same DAC and amp as the PM-3.  

My friend agrees, sadly.  His wife just got him the M-100 for Christmas.  Oops!  
redface.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #479 of 1,240

I really can't say much about the sonic signature of the PM-3 because it's still evolving, but I spent a few hours this morning with a friend's V-Moda Crossfade M-100 on the OPPO HA-2 and seriously, I found the V-Moda to be exactly what you're trying to avoid.  
wink.gif
  It's sloppy and uncontrolled - using the same DAC and amp as the PM-3.  

My friend agrees, sadly.  His wife just got him the M-100 for Christmas.  Oops!  
redface.gif

Lol You're exactly spot on; the M-100 were the headphones I bought before I exchanged them for the AKG k545 that I own and still use now. The V shaped sound signature was handled quite well but the quantity of bass was a bit disturbing to me.

The He400i shares a remarkably similar sound signature in an open form and of course a generous step up as well.

If I can have that for portable use (which I'm hoping the PM3 can offer), that would be the icing on the cake.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #480 of 1,240
Planning to buy the PM-3; will be my 1st set of planars. Hope the overall sound (highs, soundstage, etc.) is great and that they're comfortable.

In general, I've read that planars handle the lows better but there aren't many closed planars out there. Can anyone chime in about what to expect from these type of cans compared to regular open/closed headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back