Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Mar 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #226 of 520
Can the internal networking features be turned off completely to minimize "noise"? 

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #227 of 520
No, but the Ethernet, Wifi, and Bluetooth do not introduce any noise issues.

If you don't connect the SDAC to Ethernet, Wifi, or Bluetooth, those features won't be active anyway.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #230 of 520
  I read thru this thread and it feels like nobody is really raving about this thing ? im very curious how this new chip sounds ?

In this price range (not cheap and not expensive) I think it's going to take awhile for reviews to accumulate but I, too, would like to hear more feedback from owners, especially in comparison to whatever they were using previously.  

Other manufacturer's ESS ES9038Pro implementations are priced far higher than the Oppo Sonica DAC.  We all know that a DAC's sound is affected by much more than the chip for which it was designed, but the fact remains, the first company to bring an ESS ES9038Pro to market is asking over 11 times as much ($8950) for their implementation. It's an apple to oranges comparison for differences in feature set, but consider that another manufacturer is asking customers to pay an additional $1500 just to upgrade a normally $2299 DAC to the "SE" version, to get their implementation of the ESS ES9038Pro.

Regarding the global economic slump, I think components priced at $2000 or more might enjoy a higher sales volume than gear that's caught in between "affordable" and "expensive," despite the excellent bang-for-the-buck offered by manufacturers like Oppo.  Hint: Something like 60% of Americans cannot come up with $500 cash on short notice.  But those same people will impulsively drop $150 they really can't afford to spend.  And the closer a buyer is to being among the top 1%, the more likely he will want to buy bragging rights as much or more than seeking performance.  Message to manufacturers:  Go low end or high end or both. Forget about the middle class buyers. They are quickly becoming as rare as hens teeth.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #231 of 520
I have a Oppo HA-1 that I truly love.  I use it between my Mac Mini and my HD-800S.  I also have a Oppo 105 with the same DAC as the HA-1 (ESS 9018).   I think I do not hear the ESS Glare that some folks talk about.  I really enjoy my Oppo 105 but will opt for their new 205 to get 4K playback codecs and hopefully be my last Disc Player...that will also have the 9038 DAC chip.

But just to be sure of my impressions, I ordered up a Schiit Gumby to see if it will expose the supposed ESS Glare.  I will run the Gumby through the HA-1 to use it's Class A amp as I really enjoy seeing the meters on the HA-1 as well as their Volume reference meter when I compare songs and components.

Supposed to get the Gumby in a week or two and will report back my experience. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #232 of 520
Risking to ask something that is already well known - if yes, please point me to a solution.

When sending audio from Mac via AirPlay to Sonica there is a delay. It's not a problem for music.

When playing videos with the sound via  AirPlay to Sonica this delay is more than noticeable.

Pointers if it's fixable with AirPlay or the only answer is a cable?

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #233 of 520
This latency issue is a well-known shortcoming of AirPlay. There are workarounds.

AirParrot is one solution:

http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

It contains (or used to, anyway) a video player that allows you to adjust the video playback latency so you can sync it to your audio.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #235 of 520
This latency issue is a well-known shortcoming of AirPlay. There are workarounds.

AirParrot is one solution:

http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

It contains (or used to, anyway) a video player that allows you to adjust the video playback latency so you can sync it to your audio.

Whoops, I think I pointed you to the wrong program in my arsenal of AirPlay tools. Airfoil is the one with the adjustable video latency:

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #238 of 520
I've had the Sonica running continuously in my system for a little less than a week now.  It's still breaking-in, but I think I'm getting a handle on the sound.  Some initial comments:

1. Great features/functionality for price.  The unit replaces a dedicated PC and USB dac.  The Sonica is truly an all-in-one wireless media player.  I using it to play files stored on a NAS and attached USB drive directly...no PC/Mac needed.  Have the ability to find music by artist/album/file folder and create playlists thru the app.  Also have the ability to stream Tidal thru the unit directly (albeit w/o MQA decoding).

2.  Soundwise it's comparable to a budget, entry-level dac.  For comparison I've recently used Wadia 121, Cambridge Audio 851C and a 20 year-old Wadia 830.  The Sonica appears to have a very low noise-floor...hearing new details on well-worn tracks.  Hi-rez files sound really good...red-book files are a mixed bag (poorly recorded tracks from the 80's sound like ass).  

3.  If you're looking for a euphonic or forgiving dac...look elsewhere.  The Sonica is similar to 1st generation Benchmark dac (neutral to some, bright/unforgiving to others).

Ultimately, the value in the Sonica is it's ability to act as a media-streamer + dac. If you want a simple USB dac (i.e., a separate PC/Mac/Media streamer + DAC), there are likely better sounding options (e.g., multi-bit Bifrost).

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #239 of 520
Also, you might want to try sending the audio via DLNA instead of AirPlay.

I am playing music from Apple Music (iTunes).
I use Amarra SQ as a parametric equalizer.

My current setup on my Mac:

iTunes -> Amarra SQ (software audio device) -> DAC

Even without SQ in the middle, is it possible to use DLNA?
I think the easiest way for me would be just to wire it up via USB and call it a day. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #240 of 520
  I am playing music from Apple Music (iTunes).
I use Amarra SQ as a parametric equalizer.

My current setup on my Mac:

iTunes -> Amarra SQ (software audio device) -> DAC

Even without SQ in the middle, is it possible to use DLNA?
I think the easiest way for me would be just to wire it up via USB and call it a day. 

A Sonica will stream files from a DLNA server, NAS drives and attached USB drives.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back