Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
Mar 15, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #256 of 520
Thanks guys! It sounds bypassing volume control on Sonica and letting the Amp do it is the way to go. I have a Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B as an amp.

I also disabled networking completely.

Now, why you guys have the HA-1 and still bought Sonica is beyond my under:atsmile:standing

Maybe Oppo hardcore fans?

Anyways, I also like the ESS sound. A lot. People say it is "glare-y ", but I don't think so. It is a bit harsh now out of the box, but I am totally aware that break in is needed

Curiosity.

I wouldn't deny that in a court of law. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #257 of 520
Sounds like you have been the victim of "fake news." It is not being pulled from the market to my knowledge. The software is the exact same app as used for the Sonica speakers, and it has already been out for a year or so. Of course, it gets updated regularly just like any other iOS or Android app.

Wait a couple of days for the official announcement. This came directly from the Oppo representative - they have even removed the Sonica DAC from the Australian web site:-

https://www.oppodigital.com.au/

As previously mentioned, it might be that they have decided not to release it here as opposed to worldwide.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #258 of 520

Wait a couple of days for the official announcement. This came directly from the Oppo representative - they have even removed the Sonica DAC from the Australian web site:-

As previously mentioned, it might be that they have decided not to release it here as opposed to worldwide.

I ordered yesterday morning and picked up in person in Menlo Park. No problems / questions or announcements made when I was picking it up.

So far it works quite well. Feeding from it to a tube HP amp. Replaced my HA-2 in this setup and hear quite a difference.

Most noticeably HA-2 was choking at processing at rare random moments which resulted in small audible deficiencies. It wasn't a big deal for me, but once they are gone now I don't think I can go back. No problems with Sonica.
Definitely smother conversion to analog, more precise, better details.

A bit tricky to make Amarra SQ to recognize it as a device while using AirPlay, but I figured a way.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #260 of 520

I did some investigation and it is not "fake news," but it is only confined to Australia.  Apparently, Oppo Digital's Australian distributor has decided to stop carrying the entire Oppo Digital wireless line.  The entire Wireless section of the Australian website has been removed.  Odd.

Anyway, I am sure you could still purchase the Sonica DAC from the US store, or any other US merchant, although shipping could be steep.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #261 of 520

I can confirm that Oppo decided not to release the Sonica DAC in Australia.  The Sonica DAC will continue to be available in the US and is not being discontinued.  There are no "software issues" with the Sonica App and no "tweaking," other than the normal application updates available through the iOS and Android app stores.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #262 of 520
Thanks guys! It sounds bypassing volume control on Sonica and letting the Amp do it is the way to go. I have a Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B as an amp.

I also disabled networking completely.

Now, why you guys have the HA-1 and still bought Sonica is beyond my under:atsmile:standing

Maybe Oppo hardcore fans?

Anyways, I also like the ESS sound. A lot. People say it is "glare-y ", but I don't think so. It is a bit harsh now out of the box, but I am totally aware that break in is needed

The SDAC and the HA-1 are complementary products. The SDAC doesn't have a headphone output, while the HA-1 does not have networking or music server functions. Yes, they both have DACs--really good sounding ones, too--but the products are more different than they are alike.

Also, the HA-1 seems to have been discontinued in the US, but is still available internationally. My guess is that constrained supplies of the EOL'ed ESS9018 are to blame.

I've never heard an ESS implementation that sounds "harsh" or has a "glare." Truthfully, those kinds of effects on sound are usually indicators of a poorly designed analog output stage, or an impedance mismatch between the source component and amplification (or preamplification, whichever the case may be).

I do believe in break-in, having heard the effects of it myself, mostly with interconnect cables but also with source components and amplifiers. The science behind break-in is dubious, even non-existent, but in my subjective experience, it is real. A mystery.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #263 of 520
The SDAC and the HA-1 are complementary products. The SDAC doesn't have a headphone output, while the HA-1 does not have networking or music server functions. Yes, they both have DACs--really good sounding ones, too--but the products are more different than they are alike.

Also, the HA-1 seems to have been discontinued in the US, but is still available internationally. My guess is that constrained supplies of the EOL'ed ESS9018 are to blame.

I've never heard an ESS implementation that sounds "harsh" or has a "glare." Truthfully, those kinds of effects on sound are usually indicators of a poorly designed analog output stage, or an impedance mismatch between the source component and amplification (or preamplification, whichever the case may be).

I do believe in break-in, having heard the effects of it myself, mostly with interconnect cables but also with source components and amplifiers. The science behind break-in is dubious, even non-existent, but in my subjective experience, it is real. A mystery.

Agreed on break in. Oh yes, there are many people who think ESS chips are harsh/ sibilants/ glare etc. I personally like them. I have had a few over the years.

So what would be a good matching amp for Sonica? Tubes? I currently have Matrix M-Stage HOA-3B as an amp with Sonica

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #264 of 520
Agreed on break in. Oh yes, there are many people who think ESS chips are harsh/ sibilants/ glare etc. I personally like them. I have had a few over the years.

So what would be a good matching amp for Sonica? Tubes? I currently have Matrix M-Stage HOA-3B as an amp with Sonica

The Oppo HA-1 is a good match (obviously). I think that a Heed Canamp or one of the Burson Audio amps or Schiit amps would work well too. I haven't heard the Matrix products, unfortunately.

Obviously, you can tell I like amps that can put out a lot of current. Look at my profile for some of the amps I have owned in the past--I have sold most of them off, however.

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #265 of 520
The Oppo HA-1 is a good match (obviously). I think that a Heed Canamp or one of the Burson Audio amps or Schiit amps would work well too. I haven't heard the Matrix products, unfortunately.

Obviously, you can tell I like amps that can put out a lot of current. Look at my profile for some of the amps I have owned in the past--I have sold most of them off, however.

Just an update: I bought Schiit Mjolnir 2 (with stock tubes + LISST + extra tubes) from a fellow head-fier yesterday. It should arrive next week

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #266 of 520
Just an update: I bought Schiit Mjolnir 2 (with stock tubes + LISST + extra tubes) from a fellow head-fier yesterday. It should arrive next week

That will be fantastic! I used to own a Schiit Lyr, but sold it because I had just too many headphone amps. I currently own a Schiit Wyrd and a Schiit Vali which I use as front end for some powered speakers that lack a gain control. I guess I am a fan!

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #267 of 520
I just received my SDAC yesterday and have a quick question.

When playing an album from a USB drive, is there a way to play the songs in the album in track order?  

Right now, the songs are sorted alphabetically, hence they are played in alphabetical order.  I am thinking of getting a DLNA NAS, but playing songs in alphabetical order instead of track order would be weird to me especially with live albums.

As for preliminary assessment of sound, it is too early to tell.  My digital sources are the Meridian G08, Audionote Kits 4.1 LE, and Teac UD301.  My sources are all on the warm side (I also mainly play vinyl these days), as I value musicality over resolution.  So the SDAC sounds more revealing and consequently is "brighter" to me, in relative terms.  I put brighter in quotes because the SDAC is bright in a good way! The SDAC has a smooth top end and I haven't found it to be fatiguing.  Appears to be a keeper.  I have only played the SDAC with speakers so far, and will try to provide more information as I get used to the sound and try it with headphones.

Thanks in advance for any information you can send my way regarding my question above.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #269 of 520
I get my Sonica Tuesday. It will go head to head with my Yamaha WXC-50 pre/DAC. I just got a Bel Canto DAC2 (Burr Brown PCM1738 DAC chip) and compared it to my WXC-50 in my headphone setup: PC (MusicBee WASAPI 24bit, 192Khz music, Toslink) > Yamaha WXC-50 > Woo Audio WA2 with upgraded tubes > Senn HD600. With the Yamaha in "direct mode" the Bel Canto wins. Not "wow this is incredible" but it beats the Yammy. But put the DSP on in the Yamaha and it crushes the Bel Canto DAC2. I'm a little sad because I was hoping the Bel Canto DAC2, a $1300 MSRP stand alone DAC (no pre / etc), would beat the Yamaha and it's "paultry" ES9006A DAC because I don't need the Yammy with my PC. I need it on my main system: Yamaha WXC-50 > Manley Stingray integrated tube amp > Energy Veritas 1.8s.

Side note: the DSP, aka "enhanced mode", quadruples the soundstage and dynamics without losing any detail, adding artifacts or sibilance, and lets you control treble, mid, bass, jitter filters, etc.. Might not be "pure" or "as recorded" but it is a solid 400% improvement over the ES9006A in direct mode.

All things considered, chalk this up as a 1 in the modern affordable $350 DAC column and a 0 in the $1000K+ older top-of-the-line DAC column. ES9006A + DSP > Burr Brown PCM1738. Easily. Like not even funny.

So stay tuned and I will give a heads up comparison Wednesday and another after a burn in period.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #270 of 520
I have got both a T1 and T5p recently, are there anybody using these headphones on this dac?
Is this dac actually also a pre-amp? I'm wondering if a pre-amp is enough for t5p.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back