1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by mtoc, Sep 11, 2016.
First

Back
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
  1. jruser
    Anybody still use this? I noticed that the Oppo site in Japan has a newer firmware than is listed in other regions. I installed it and don't notice any differences.

Also, it is possible to install the USB DAC firmware from the 205 on the Sonica. After doing so, the Sonica can do the first MQA unfold like the 205 does. Can't really verify if it applies MQA filters or not.

2. ekrauss
    Very cool. I still do and I will try this. No firmware updates have shown up in a while in the Sonica app.

3. jruser
    For the Japan firmware, I had to download the firmware on a USB drive, plug it into the front USB port of the Sonica, and then use the app to update. I let Chrome translate the page to English to get the instructions. I wonder why only the Japan site has the update. I don't use the network feautures. I only use it as a USB DAC.

Hesitant to post the instructions for the 205 cross-flash, since I don't want a bunch of people messing up their Sonica. There is a (weak) check of ID's in a config file that prevents the update, though it is easy to modify. After that, I was able to follow the 205 update instructions of installing the 0115 update and then the 0118 update. After the update, the Sonica identifies to the computer as a 205.

Edit: here is the Japan link for 35-0317 firmware: https://www.oppodigital.jp/support/software-update/sonica-dac/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  4. steveoat
    Any chance you could post how you flashed to the 205 software? Interested in trying this

5. Razmote
  6. Razmote
First

Back
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34