Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 30, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #6,272 of 6,302
My PM-3 headband is still in good shape - any suggestions on how to keep it going? Would an occasional light leather conditioner help? I've used a very small amount roughly yearly.

It's not leather so it's hard to say if that will help or not. I'm sure usage, environment and care might make a difference in longevity, but they're all gonna crack and flake at some point unfortunately

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #6,273 of 6,302
I would not do that, it will prob come apart faster.

My PM-3 were not used much and coming apart. I didn’t think anything was wrong with mine, but a closer look and pushing with my thumb showed they were slightly.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #6,274 of 6,302
I ended up getting a couple of these headband covers for my family's PM-3s:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B082X3K44S?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

My daughter pushes the headphones on her head from the front, rubbing against the headband and eventually dislodging it. This cover zips right over the top and keeps the original foam in place. She seems to like it and has gone back to wearing her PM-3s again.

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #6,275 of 6,302
I just picked up a used pair of PM3s from a fellow Head-Fier for $200 with replaced pads and a headband cover. This is the closest I've ever heard to a closed-back HD6XX for a reasonable price. They're just so damn smooth and easy to listen to.

Has anyone done a comparison between the various pads? It seems like most of them are the same design just under different brand names, but there are also a few unique ones out there.

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #6,276 of 6,302
I just picked up a used pair of PM3s from a fellow Head-Fier for $200 with replaced pads and a headband cover. This is the closest I've ever heard to a closed-back HD6XX for a reasonable price. They're just so damn smooth and easy to listen to.

Has anyone done a comparison between the various pads? It seems like most of them are the same design just under different brand names, but there are also a few unique ones out there.

I bought these and put them away, so I haven’t tried them. But they look great and stock.

Direct replacements
Sixsop PM-3 Earpads Compatible with Oppo PM-3 PM3 PM 3 Headphones Replacement Ear Pads/Ear Cushion/Ear Cups
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T6VQYZ...4XRZTE&peakEvent=4&dealEvent=1&language=en-US

I use these and think they sound close to stock but better!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081CFT736?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #6,278 of 6,302

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/looking-for-oppo-pm3-ear-pads.880974/page-2#post-17624976

I prefer the Brainwaze learther pads. They stretch over the cups (i.e. they do not have the PM3 “clip on”)

1703449618708.png

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #6,279 of 6,302
I’ve found the Sixsop pads on Amazon to be very close to stock. I don’t like Brainwavz leather on them personally, as the sound becomes a little more v-shaped to my ears with those pads, which I found made them a little shouty and fatiguing. I do think you also get a bit more soundstage width with the Brainwavz which some may like, and the sound is a little more exciting if you find the stock sound boring

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #6,280 of 6,302

What kind of pads on the PM-3 do you have?
I have a PM-3 and an HD58X (admittedly it's not an HD6XX) and the sound is too different.

Dec 25, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #6,281 of 6,302
What kind of pads on the PM-3 do you have?
I have a PM-3 and an HD58X (admittedly it's not an HD6XX) and the sound is too different.

They're the leather pads sold under a number of different brand names. Keep in mind when I say they're the closest thing to a closed HD 6XX I've heard I'm speaking more to tonality than anything else. Soundstage, imaging, detail, etc. is a step down from the Sennheiser.

Dec 31, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #6,282 of 6,302
IMO the oppo pm3 does scale, the difference between a dap (eg cayin n3pro with tubes or ibasso dx200) and the mojo (original) is spectacular as is the asgaard 3, for me the greater power and control of the mojo/asgaard gives more vibrancy, soundstage and immersion, it sounds like music rather than reproduced sound.

d

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #6,283 of 6,302
For anyone who may want it, here's my personal EQ for the PM3s. This is based on Oratory1990's EQ for the stock PM3s, which sounds better for me than either of the EQs he made for units with aftermarket pads. Basically I've taken his EQ and added a bit of energy at the top and bottom, which I think helps gives everything a bit more body while also allowing the top end to breath a bit.

PM3 EQ.PNG

Jan 21, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #6,284 of 6,302
Hi there, I once had the PM3s and am considering buying a used one again.

Now that I have the ability of balanced output I am wondering if you guys can tell me if you heard a difference between a single ended and a balanced cable with the PM3?

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #6,285 of 6,302
Hi there, I once had the PM3s and am considering buying a used one again.

Now that I have the ability of balanced output I am wondering if you guys can tell me if you heard a difference between a single ended and a balanced cable with the PM3?

In general, I'm of the opinion that going from single-ended to balanced does not inherently improve audio quality for headphones. In most cases, you just get higher output, which only sounds like better quality because it's usually very hard to do a good volume matched comparison between two different outputs on the same amp. With that said, some amps may have a different enough signal path internally between their balanced and single-ended outputs that the outputs could legitimately sound different (which would be better in that case would be subjective). So all that to say, maybe on the particular amp you're using one output might sound better than the other to your ears, but that's not always going to be the case. I've tried my PM-3s on single-ended and balanced outputs on a few different amps and never heard a difference that couldn't have just been higher volume on the balanced output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back