Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Oct 31, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #6,241 of 6,302
This is the first I've heard of this headphone, which shows how much I've been keeping with audio news lately. It does look interesting, basically an amalgam of the Audeze LCD-1 and Audeze Mobius/Penrose sold under the Edifier brand. I might have to give that a try.
When I owned the LCD-2F and the PM3, I used to refer to the PM3 as a "baby brother to Audeze". Way more comfortable too.
I refurbished my PM3 with new sheepskin pads and a headphone cover. I still enjoy them.

They are so well built (apart from the flaky fake leather), I believe they will last a very long time :)

Nov 2, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #6,242 of 6,302
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #6,243 of 6,302
Nov 20, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #6,244 of 6,302
Hey Team PM-3, at some point did anyone try using a ZMF Oval pad (any material) with the PM-3? If so, what was that like (both the fit and the sound)?

Dec 5, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #6,245 of 6,302
Was going to ask also, anybody find new pads for these that don’t alter the sound much?

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #6,246 of 6,302
Was going to ask also, anybody find new pads for these that don’t alter the sound much?
I use replacement pads from Vesper Audio, and I am very happy with them. Not the cheapest around, but high quality.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #6,248 of 6,302
Jan 16, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #6,249 of 6,302
I got a pm3. While I like the sound, I get pain in my ears after listening for around 15 mins. I am sure it’s not the clamp force but more on the sound. Has anyone had a similar experience? Would you recommend changing the earpads - probably a thicker one? I think the earpads I have on are aftermarket as well.

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #6,250 of 6,302
I got a pm3. While I like the sound, I get pain in my ears after listening for around 15 mins. I am sure it’s not the clamp force but more on the sound. Has anyone had a similar experience? Would you recommend changing the earpads - probably a thicker one? I think the earpads I have on are aftermarket as well.
What about the sound do you think is making your ears hurt? To me, the bass and how tightly they seal can cause pressure that gets a little uncomfortable after a while, but it's not really painful (though possibly could be for somebody else if they're sensitive to that sort of pressure). Probably if the seal were broken it'd be a little more comfortable at the expense of bass. I use the Brainwavs angled ear pads (which are quite a bit thicker and larger than the stock), but maybe something like the Brainwavs perforated small ovals would reduce the effect? I dunno, just guessing.

I think the only time the PM-3 hurt was when the old pads were worn out and the driver/baffle was actually touching my ear. Then I could wear them for only 10-15 minutes before I had to take them off. New, thicker pads helped.

EDIT: oh yeah, almost forgot to add that when the pressure builds up, then it's not only the bass that becomes uncomfortable for me, but also the treble. Turning down the volume a bit also helps to some degree.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #6,251 of 6,302
What about the sound do you think is making your ears hurt? To me, the bass and how tightly they seal can cause pressure that gets a little uncomfortable after a while, but it's not really painful (though possibly could be for somebody else if they're sensitive to that sort of pressure). Probably if the seal were broken it'd be a little more comfortable at the expense of bass. I use the Brainwavs angled ear pads (which are quite a bit thicker and larger than the stock), but maybe something like the Brainwavs perforated small ovals would reduce the effect? I dunno, just guessing.

I think the only time the PM-3 hurt was when the old pads were worn out and the driver/baffle was actually touching my ear. Then I could wear them for only 10-15 minutes before I had to take them off. New, thicker pads helped.

EDIT: oh yeah, almost forgot to add that when the pressure builds up, then it's not only the bass that becomes uncomfortable for me, but also the treble. Turning down the volume a bit also helps to some degree.
This is spot on. You took words straight out of my mouth. The pain I am feeling is due to the sound pressure. I feel that it builds up until it is no longer bearable. It might have been because of the tight seal of the pm3 around my ear which I feel is a bit weird because I am wearing glasses with thick temple arms that should have broken the seal. I never experienced this with with my other closed back headphones like the bose 700 and the sony xm4. I have also been using the campfire andromedas a IEM a lot before I got these and don’t experience this. Now, I wonder if I will also experience the same with my unopened Elegia headphones. It got me thinking whether to return it and swap for an open back instead?

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #6,252 of 6,302
If you’re interested in a closed back set of cans that doesn’t pressurize at all, the Fostex TH/TR series and it’s Denon and EMU siblings are often called “semi open” because they let substantially more air move back and forth than a well sealed closed back line the PM3. And they manage to do this without sacrificing bass. What you give up with them is the PM3’s awesome portability.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #6,253 of 6,302
If you’re interested in a closed back set of cans that doesn’t pressurize at all, the Fostex TH/TR series and it’s Denon and EMU siblings are often called “semi open” because they let substantially more air move back and forth than a well sealed closed back line the PM3. And they manage to do this without sacrificing bass. What you give up with them is the PM3’s awesome portability.
Thanks 🙏 . I'll have a look at these. Although at the moment I am trying to limit my options with Focal as I already have a custom cable on the way.😊

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #6,255 of 6,302
What did their pads cost? There’s no price list to be found on their site unfortunately…
Don't remember exactly. They are a bit more expensive than most others, but the quality is really high.

Best to send them an email. There are so many options to choose from (leather types, colors, perforated or not) that it is almost impossible for them to publish a price list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back