Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #6,106 of 6,302
I used to have wm1a and sounded as you described, ok but not enough, always think it needs more power, even my cellphone is better match in some aspects, how much power would you say the oppo needs to really shine? I mostly use them on the go so I'm interested in powerful dap
Personally i have only found that mains powered desktop headphone amplifiers have enough power/voltage to power planars even high sensitivity ones like the pm3 - it seems to be something to do with voltage and dynamic shifts (even the mojo is not as dynamic as mains powered desktop kit imo)

d

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #6,107 of 6,302
I like the pm3 and run it off a video ipad and the cowon plenue p1. I only wish they had use higher quality earpads instead of giving a hard case. I bought brainwavz sheepskin angled pads from Amazon India - music sounds better. However, I had pad replaced in a few days as it looked defective. The warranty was for two years , but the ear pads had leather cracking in slightly more than a year, but amazon India refused to replace it. Is the quality of brainwavz sheepskin pads so bad? I have come across quality issues on amazon India

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #6,108 of 6,302
Don't know the quality of the bw sheepskin pads.
But longevity on real leather pads depends on different circumstances.

Also the maintenance takes a high part here.

Are you able to buy approved genuine leather pads, let's say from vesper audio or similar?

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #6,109 of 6,302
I like the pm3 and run it off a video ipad and the cowon plenue p1. I only wish they had use higher quality earpads instead of giving a hard case. I bought brainwavz sheepskin angled pads from Amazon India - music sounds better. However, I had pad replaced in a few days as it looked defective. The warranty was for two years , but the ear pads had leather cracking in slightly more than a year, but amazon India refused to replace it. Is the quality of brainwavz sheepskin pads so bad? I have come across quality issues on amazon India
Oppo PM-3 (Brainwaze sheepskin pads, non angled):

The stock vinyl pads and headband disintegrated within a year :frowning2:

I have used the Brainwaze sheepskin pads (non angled) for a couple of years and they are still in good condition.

The rectangular PM3 cups make them comfortable when lying on my pillow :). They are keepers.

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #6,110 of 6,302
I got a pair of Oppo PM-3s about a month ago and they're great, Currently have them hooked up to my iFi iDSD Diablo. I got my PM-3s in immaculate condition in an ebay auction for £158, came with all of the original cables and the carry case, there was no wear or flaking on the headband or pads so I think I did pretty well :D

The pads have recently started flaking pretty badly though. I contacted Oppo to see if I could get them replaced and they said they weren't offering or selling replacement pads anymore :frowning2:
Does anyone know where I can get some genuine pads? I found a seller on ebay but they are asking for like £92!
Brainwaze sheepskin pads, non angled :)

These pads slip over the whole cup. No sign of wear after a couple of years.

Attachments

• DSCF2637.jpg
    DSCF2637.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #6,111 of 6,302
I used to have wm1a and sounded as you described, ok but not enough, always think it needs more power, even my cellphone is better match in some aspects, how much power would you say the oppo needs to really shine? I mostly use them on the go so I'm interested in powerful dap
Actually I may have misled you in my earlier response

Personally i have only found that mains powered desktop headphone amplifiers have enough power/voltage to power planars even high sensitivity ones like the pm3 - it seems to be something to do with voltage and dynamic shifts (even the mojo is not as dynamic as mains powered desktop kit imo)

I listened last night to my n3pro and mojo with the oppo pm3 and they actually sound good it is not absolutely necessary to have a mains powered amp

d

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #6,112 of 6,302

I listened last night to my n3pro and mojo with the oppo pm3 and they actually sound good it is not absolutely necessary to have a mains powered amp

d
Really? Well I remember I tried it too with my mojo's friend, but very long ago, I remember didn't like the match or using it on the go since that's the way I most use them, perhaps it's more about likes, I did liked boosting bass and highs in wm1a, it sounded great, like it should be. Just sounstage was even more narrow and feel lack of power, But my Xiaomi mi max 3 drives it good, like I said better in soundstage size than wm1a sound stock, airier and fast, but not good in definition and detail but I don't miss the sony

d
Oh well I remember I tried it too with my mojo's friend, but very long ago, I remember didn't like the match or using it on the go since that's the way I most use headphones I did liked boosting bass and highs in wm1a, it sounded great, like it should be. Just feel lack of power, But my Xiaomi mi max 3 drives it good, like I said better in soundstage size than wm1a sound stock, airier, but not as good in definition and detail though I don't miss the sony, the thicker pads I bought helps, funny my Xiaomi has Essabre dac, that's I think oppo needs

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #6,113 of 6,302

d
Yeah, I was going to say the other day that I think the PM-3 needs good, clean power more than it needs a lot of power. I haven’t tried it in a while, but I remember thinking it sounded pretty meh out of my Android phones and original FiiO X5, but much better out of a DFR or the X5 with an E12A.
I also don’t think it’s particularly good for on-the-go use. Not enough isolation to get the finer nuances or details.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #6,114 of 6,302
Yeah, I was going to say the other day that I think the PM-3 needs good, clean power more than it needs a lot of power. I haven’t tried it in a while, but I remember thinking it sounded pretty meh out of my Android phones and original FiiO X5, but much better out of a DFR or the X5 with an E12A.
I also don’t think it’s particularly good for on-the-go use. Not enough isolation to get the finer nuances or details.
Interesting couse I do find them good in isolation, well I'm using thicker pads, better than msr7b, (but now I'm little confused couse bought again msr7b and fit much better in my head, a little worried if they're fake jejej) well I only use over ears, sure iems will isolate so much better
I think I got used to the sound of my Xiaomi. It'll be great when I got another dap..

Oct 2, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #6,115 of 6,302
Don't know the quality of the bw sheepskin pads.
But longevity on real leather pads depends on different circumstances.

Also the maintenance takes a high part here.

Are you able to buy approved genuine leather pads, let's say from vesper audio or similar?
Hi, I like the change in sound with the brainwavz angled sheepskin pads. The bass is higher and details are sharper and I feel that the depth is also more . It is much better than the stock ear pads. I had asked the customer support in India if I had to take any steps for maintenance and they said that it was not necessary. I have a brooks leather saddle for my cycle - trek mountain bike/cycle and it requires one to apply proofide- a leather care cream sometimes.

The leather on the insides of the earpads has cracked and peeled off. The sound is still stellar.. Do we need to take any steps for maintenance? Perhaps, the quality control of products in Amazon India is poor. The audion on cowon plenue and video ipod sounds much better after the change than the stock earpads. I wish they had put more quality into the leather for the stock headphones - sound is great. Inspite of cover even the headband is cracking up. They could have saved on the case and given a simpler one and notched up the quality on the leather for Oppo pm 3.

awesome headphones spoilt by the poor leather in the earpads and the headband. Does that also need maintenance?

Attachments

• earpad.jpg
    earpad.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 0
  • earpad1.jpg
    earpad1.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #6,116 of 6,302
Hi, I like the change in sound with the brainwavz angled sheepskin pads. The bass is higher and details are sharper and I feel that the depth is also more . It is much better than the stock ear pads. I had asked the customer support in India if I had to take any steps for maintenance and they said that it was not necessary. I have a brooks leather saddle for my cycle - trek mountain bike/cycle and it requires one to apply proofide- a leather care cream sometimes.

The leather on the insides of the earpads has cracked and peeled off. The sound is still stellar.. Do we need to take any steps for maintenance? Perhaps, the quality control of products in Amazon India is poor. The audion on cowon plenue and video ipod sounds much better after the change than the stock earpads. I wish they had put more quality into the leather for the stock headphones - sound is great. Inspite of cover even the headband is cracking up. They could have saved on the case and given a simpler one and notched up the quality on the leather for Oppo pm 3.

awesome headphones spoilt by the poor leather in the earpads and the headband. Does that also need maintenance?
Are these the sheepskin earpads on the pictures?
Looks like the inner circle is made of fake leather instead of real leather.

Even the oem pads and headband of the PM-3 is fake leather.
So it's just a matter of time they start to peal off.

Usually, real leather on headphones (pads or headband) doesn't has to sustain that much, but heavy sweating can cause faster degradation without cleaning afterwards.
So a dry towel, or a slightly damped one, is all you need to keep your real leather in a good shape.

If you're scared about the longevity, you can use a "conditioner" or other care products to maintain the leather on your headphones.

Make sure to use as less product as possible. :wink:

Keep in mind that my experience in leather care is based on car detailing (my business) and sometimes furniture.

It maybe doesn't apply one by one on headphones.
Especially fenestrated leather is sensitive to maintain.

Oct 2, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #6,117 of 6,302

My original pads and headband also shredded within a couple of years. I bought the Brainwavz Sheepskin Memory Foam Earpads. They slip over the whole cup. I also got a zip-up headband cover. I do not recall much of a change in the sound quality. I still use these headphones regularly (especially when lying in bed)... the oval shape makes for a good fit when reclining.
The Oppo PM-3 does need more current than my other phones (i.e. a bit more volume control or high gain setting).

Attachments

• DSCF2637_edited-1.jpg
    DSCF2637_edited-1.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #6,118 of 6,302
Are these the sheepskin earpads on the pictures?
Looks like the inner circle is made of fake leather instead of real leather.

Even the oem pads and headband of the PM-3 is fake leather.
So it's just a matter of time they start to peal off.

Usually, real leather on headphones (pads or headband) doesn't has to sustain that much, but heavy sweating can cause faster degradation without cleaning afterwards.
So a dry towel, or a slightly damped one, is all you need to keep your real leather in a good shape.

If you're scared about the longevity, you can use a "conditioner" or other care products to maintain the leather on your headphones.

Make sure to use as less product as possible. :wink:

Keep in mind that my experience in leather care is based on car detailing (my business) and sometimes furniture.

It maybe doesn't apply one by one on headphones.
Especially fenestrated leather is sensitive to maintain.
Hi, those are the sheepskin brainwavz angled ear pads, which I bought in India through Amazon. On the head bands, they did come in contact with hair solution that I had applied to my hair, when everything was the stock material. I am in India - Chennai - tropical city along the coast with high humidity

Oct 4, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #6,120 of 6,302
Hi! I have a Khadas T2Pro with both 3.5 and 4.4 mm outputs. I want to try my PM-3 with 4.4 mm. I can just buy a 4.4 male to 3.5 female on AliE and attach the original 3.5 mm to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back