Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Oct 18, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #6,137 of 6,313
Oct 19, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #6,139 of 6,313
better at what?
Better material (fake vs real leather) and I don't hear any difference with the original pad. Pokoknya qualitasnya lebih bagus daripada yg asli.

Oct 19, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #6,141 of 6,313
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #6,146 of 6,313
Why does my PM3 sound so bright and metallic? Using sine swept I hear high peaks in the 7k-9kHz area. Bass is also very weak. Isn't the PM3 supposed to have a smooth and slightly dark sound?
What's about listening to music instead of sine sweeps? :ksc75smile:

Joke. :wink:

At which volume level do you think the PM-3 is going to be fatiguing while listening to (what kind of) music?

Never experienced a metallic sound from my set. Even with the brighter V30 and BTR5.

This is what I've heard from some Focals, but not Oppo. :)

Oct 22, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #6,147 of 6,313
What's about listening to music instead of sine sweeps? :ksc75smile:

Joke. :wink:

At which volume level do you think the PM-3 is going to be fatiguing while listening to (what kind of) music?

Never experienced a metallic sound from my set. Even with the brighter V30 and BTR5.

This is what I've heard from some Focals, but not Oppo. :)
With music, I heard the hihat and chinese cymbals too hot. Using sine swept only to determine what frequency is excessive.

Problem solved! It's all just a matter of fitting. My head and ears are so small that my entire ear actually fits into those tiny PM3 earpads.
When I wear it without lowering the headband, that dark sound appears. Bass rises drastically, metallic sound disappears. And the more I lowered the headband, brighter the PM3 will sound.

Metallic sound came when I lowered the headband until my ears were completely inside the earpads.
I analogize this like as listening to speakers up close. The more we turn our ears up, the more we hear the bright sound from tweeter.

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #6,148 of 6,313
Why does my PM3 sound so bright and metallic? Using sine swept I hear high peaks in the 7k-9kHz area. Bass is also very weak. Isn't the PM3 supposed to have a smooth and slightly dark sound?
I never really found the PM3 to be smooth and dark. I remember reading that about the PM1 and PM2 though. To be honest, the PM3 sounds pretty neutral with the slightest bass boost to my ears. I do know mine are authentic since they were a review sample from way back in the day.

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #6,149 of 6,313
Nov 6, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #6,150 of 6,313
I never really found the PM3 to be smooth and dark. I remember reading that about the PM1 and PM2 though. To be honest, the PM3 sounds pretty neutral with the slightest bass boost to my ears. I do know mine are authentic since they were a review sample from way back in the day.
That review is the opposite of literally anyone else who has reviewed them. Almost universally, people wish it’d had better treble extension. They also aren’t rattle your head kind of bass, but the quality and quantity of it is good. Very clean, planar bass.
Replaced my earpads and problem solved. PM3 is very sensitive to seals. A slight leak can reduce the bass, especially when using worn-out earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back