Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 22, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #5,941 of 6,302
I'll check them, thanks! Looks great! No 2.5mm sadly. They have one that does though: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/acessories/pm3-balanced-cable.html

I found this one to: https://oidiosound.co.uk/pellucid-oppo-pm3.html

Also: are you using different pads? They look bigger! Also 2: Does the BTR5 drive them good?

Hi Ham,

i got this one in yellow/turquoise.

Works perfectly with my BTR 5. :)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #5,942 of 6,302
Feb 22, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #5,943 of 6,302
I'll check them, thanks! Looks great! No 2.5mm sadly. They have one that does though: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/acessories/pm3-balanced-cable.html

I found this one to: https://oidiosound.co.uk/pellucid-oppo-pm3.html

Also: are you using different pads? They look bigger! Also 2: Does the BTR5 drive them good?
It depends on your needs, i think.
For me, it looks like the Oidio cable is stiffer than the custom can cable because of the braiding.
If you want it as cheap as possiple, go with the oidio. :wink:

On the custom cans website, pick 2.5 jack for A&K/ Onkyo.

I use third party pads, which are a bit bigger with, imo, better surface material.
Look at my posts in this thread.

The FiiO drives them very well. No matter it's bluetooth or usb. :)

Have a good day.
Chris

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #5,944 of 6,302
Oh I got that! My S9 is just not doing it for me. Not a problem though!

Also: Any recommendations for a nice balanced cable for the PM3? Preferably 2.5mm.
I really like what the Moon Audio Silver dragon cable brings to the table with my PM3’s. It really lifts the veil off the treble and makes them sound more balanced with loads of details with a tight lower end.

Feb 23, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #5,945 of 6,302
It depends on your needs, i think.
For me, it looks like the Oidio cable is stiffer than the custom can cable because of the braiding.
If you want it as cheap as possiple, go with the oidio. :wink:

On the custom cans website, pick 2.5 jack for A&K/ Onkyo.

I use third party pads, which are a bit bigger with, imo, better surface material.
Look at my posts in this thread.

The FiiO drives them very well. No matter it's bluetooth or usb. :)

Have a good day.
Chris

I will, thanks! Great to hear that the btr5 drives them well!
I really like what the Moon Audio Silver dragon cable brings to the table with my PM3’s. It really lifts the veil off the treble and makes them sound more balanced with loads of details with a tight lower end.
That one is a bit too expensive for me, but thanks for the tip!

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #5,947 of 6,302
Got this cable too.
Terminated in a 4 pin xlr.
But for use with the Pm3, i'd recommend a hybrid hpc cable.
It's sounds better terms of clarity to me.

Don't know if a spc cable will be better than the hybrid, i guess not.
If i got the choice, i'd go with separated strings of copper/silver, instead of silver plated.

But the main thing with such cables is the flexibility and quality look and feel, imo.

I like it, especially FAW. :L3000:
Awesome cables at a reasonable price.

20200107_192354.jpg

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #5,949 of 6,302
Thanks for that. :)
Just what i'm thinking about.

The most important part on after market cables( for me ):

Headphone cable discussions must also include the value of aesthetics. Beautiful cables are like jewellery. Even if they don’t meaningfully impact the sound, they can certainly increase user satisfaction and enjoyment of their headphones.
@headphonesty.com

I do like the kimber braid of the FAW Noir the most.
It feels lightweight and got a greatest flexibility of all my cables.

Before i'm going to spend several hundreds of euros to a "high end" cable, i'd buy a new headphone to achieve a greater change in sound signature.
At least with well known cheap ones like the PM3, Audio Technica MSR7B, Philips X2HR and so on.

The real benefit of doing so is the wider range of experienced sound reproduction units and signatures to find your musical heaven. :wink:

That's just my opinion, ymmv.

Have a great listening day.
Chris

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #5,952 of 6,302
Feb 25, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #5,953 of 6,302
What about the quality?
Looks good so far, thanks for the hint. :)

The pads on amazon from china don't have a consistent availability of the same pads. :frowning2:
I have to order them as soon as I will have the funds. I will publish a review here.
Here is the answer 2 days ago from Vesper :
"
Handcrafted custom earpads, over-ear type, whole genuine leather, hybrid or whole microsuede(vegan), not angled, fast foam, are 50 euro/pair. Payment via paypal (goods/services type).
You can order standart or any custom thickness/angle/opening.
We offer:
Real leather - black, emerald ink, dark-grey, red, coral, dark brown, brown, orange, blue, dark blue, beige, purple, and perforated black
Alcantara - anthracite black - 9 euro extra, blue, beige, burgundy alcantara - no extra
Perforated\regular black microsuede - no extra,
Brown, grey microsuede - no extra
Real black suede (chamois) - 8 euro extra, brown - 8 euro extra
Memory foam - 3 euro extra
Angled type design - 7 euro extra
Additional cooling - 14 euro extra
Air priority tracked mail - 7 euro.
"

EDIT : and whan I asked what to choose to open up the sound a bit
"
We use perforation (on leather) mainly to focus the soundstage. Cause perforation is not through.
You can order Perforated microsuede/microsuede/alcantara to have a bit less isolation. With this materials you can also use open pore fast foam, to make it even more breathable.
"

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #5,954 of 6,302
I have to order them as soon as I will have the funds. I will publish a review here.
Here is the answer 2 days ago from Vesper :
"
Handcrafted custom earpads, over-ear type, whole genuine leather, hybrid or whole microsuede(vegan), not angled, fast foam, are 50 euro/pair. Payment via paypal (goods/services type).
You can order standart or any custom thickness/angle/opening.
We offer:
Real leather - black, emerald ink, dark-grey, red, coral, dark brown, brown, orange, blue, dark blue, beige, purple, and perforated black
Alcantara - anthracite black - 9 euro extra, blue, beige, burgundy alcantara - no extra
Perforated\regular black microsuede - no extra,
Brown, grey microsuede - no extra
Real black suede (chamois) - 8 euro extra, brown - 8 euro extra
Memory foam - 3 euro extra
Angled type design - 7 euro extra
Additional cooling - 14 euro extra
Air priority tracked mail - 7 euro.
"

EDIT : and whan I asked what to choose to open up the sound a bit
"
We use perforation (on leather) mainly to focus the soundstage. Cause perforation is not through.
You can order Perforated microsuede/microsuede/alcantara to have a bit less isolation. With this materials you can also use open pore fast foam, to make it even more breathable.
"
I saw it on their page. Curios how they will feel.
I'm very satisfied with the pads from amazon, which i've posted a while ago.
Better then the stock ones in terms of isolation (wearing glasses) and feel for less then 10€.
But it'll be a gamble to get them again, i think.

Thanks to bring it up.
50€ is nothing compared to enjoy a great sounding headphone for years and years. :)

Feb 26, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #5,955 of 6,302
For those of us who can't spend half the PM3 cost on a balanced cable, look into this one. I have it and it's nice. I use it in conjunction with the Drop balanced 2.5mm to XLR adapter and my LCX+SDAC combo.

https://www.dysonaudio.com/products...d-dap-2-5mm-trrs-cable?variant=17420707594297

The pic isn't correct, it's generic. Just pick "Oppo PM-3 3.5mm TRRS". It will come with a 3.5mm TRRS connector on the headphone end and a 2.5mm TRRS connector on the amp end. I believe he will change the connector on the amp end to something else, for example an XLR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back