Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 19, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #5,926 of 6,302
Ok maybe it's safer to buy an amp/dac with bluetooth capabilities. So no E1DA.
Could you be able to try the M6 before buy ? It would be better I think.
Probably, but I don't think I would have any problem selling it if I don't like it. I am of course open to different options. The UP4 and Hiby W3 look good to and according to the review you posted, are better then the BTR5

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #5,927 of 6,302
Probably, but I don't think I would have any problem selling it if I don't like it. I am of course open to different options. The UP4 and Hiby W3 look good to and according to the review you posted, are better then the BTR5
The Xduoo XP-2 is more powerfull but no LDAC or APTX-HD.
You also have the Colorfly BT-C1 but same problem.
So, yes, maybe the Hiby, which is the cheaper one :wink:

Feb 19, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #5,930 of 6,302
A12027C4-CA17-4C95-911B-8F8B6A960423_1_201_a.jpeg

Feb 19, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #5,931 of 6,302
HD 660S and PM-3 are excellent high efficiency balanced headphones.They are a great match for listening to Tidal on your IFI ZEN DAC using balanced Norne S3-C cables with 4.4 balanced terminations.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #5,933 of 6,302
Well, I’m back in the Oppo PM3 club. I bought a pair New Years ago around the time they came out. I absolutely loved them. I ended up selling them so I could buy a nicer set of open cans for home use. Ever since I sold them, I missed them greatly. I went down the path of various IEMs for portable use but nothing ever came close to my enjoyment of the PM3s. I finally decided to get another pair and found a practically new pair on eBay for $300. They arrived today and I can’t wait to put them to good use.

They are, IMO, the best $4$ value in the world of headphones. They also go up several notches when you replace the stock cable with a higher quality cable.

I’m kind of interested in swapping pads but will probably hold off because the original pads on this pair are like new.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #5,934 of 6,302
If you really want to see why PM-3s and planars in general are great, listen to Black Sabbath's Seat Leaf, paying attention to the drums and the bass guitar. Then listen to a dynamic driver headphone or IEM and let me know if they come anywhere close in sound realism.

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #5,935 of 6,302
My PM-3's just arrived. Got a second hand pair from Germany and it seems like it's in perfect shape! Even came with spare pads, which I did not expect.

First impression: My S9 can't drive these properly, volume just stays to low. No problem though, my intend is to use these at work with my Fiio E17. First test on this (I took the E17 with me after work yesterday, had a hunch these could come today): Wow! Amazing! But I just tried them for half an hour!

I really hope something like the UP4 or BTR5 can give these a bit more punch when using them away from my computer! Also got my eye on an Onkyo DP-X1, which I can get for about €100. But I'm now researching if it's that much better then a UP4 or BTR5.

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #5,936 of 6,302
My PM-3's just arrived. Got a second hand pair from Germany and it seems like it's in perfect shape! Even came with spare pads, which I did not expect.

First impression: My S9 can't drive these properly, volume just stays to low. No problem though, my intend is to use these at work with my Fiio E17. First test on this (I took the E17 with me after work yesterday, had a hunch these could come today): Wow! Amazing! But I just tried them for half an hour!

I really hope something like the UP4 or BTR5 can give these a bit more punch when using them away from my computer! Also got my eye on an Onkyo DP-X1, which I can get for about €100. But I'm now researching if it's that much better then a UP4 or BTR5.
Just for info : I have the Chord Mojo, X3III, Apple dongle, Xduoo Link, and a "supreme fx" PC motherboard : the Oppo PM3 works great on all of them.Even the least powerfull Apple dongle is far enough.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #5,940 of 6,302
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back