Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Sep 7, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #5,659 of 6,302
Just to make sure:
The first time I put them on, they sounded terrible.
Then I realised I had not pushed the plug into the headphone socket deep enough :grimacing:
Maybe you have this issue?

Hi, not really.
I find them to be for monitoring and very neutral that's why it's not bassy like the Shure1540.

Needs an amp to hear its true potential.
Happy with my purchase even though im late. I'll use them on my mixer.
Using this on a SP1k+Hugo2, it can go toe to toe or can even be better with $1k++ headphones. The technicality of this are way above my expectations considering high end headphones I've auditioned and kept.

i find the PM-3 in line with Sony MDR-EX1000 and as well with HD800 in terms of neutrality and the way it presents music.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #5,660 of 6,302
Yes, but these are the only headphones I have that need any EQing, other than just boosting the bass. I don't think anybody has ever referred to the HD 650 as bright, but in comparison to the PM-3 they are... At least to my ears. And compared to my DT 1990, the bass is absolutely rolled off.
Here's how I'd say they compare to my other phones:
vs DT 1990: (DT 1990 cost 50% more) PM-3's sub-bass is rolled off, lacks "slam;" mids are less pronounced; treble is way, way less present (DT 1990 are known for bright treble, so no surprise)
vs HD 650: PM-3 have similar sub-bass extension, but less mid-bass emphasis; mids are significantly less pronounced; treble is less present
vs qJAYS v1 (PM-3 are almost 100% more expensive): PM-3 have less bass extension, though there's more of the bass that it does have; mids are less pronounced; treble is significantly less present.
vs RHA T20i (PM-3 are 100% more expensive): PM-3 have less bass extension and less bass overall; mids are less pronounced; treble is less-to-significantly-less present.
DT-1990 are considered bright but otherwise neutral, HD 650 are considered dark and warm, qJAYS are considered neutral but bass shy (it's what was called "flat" when describing IEMs some 10 years ago), and the T20i are generally considered to be v-shaped-- and yet the PM-3 are the only ones that need EQing! I just can't understand how that could be considered either "neutral" or "transparent."
And as to their being "sharp like scalpel..." My impression couldn't be further from this. The DT 1990, is sharp and surgical. The PM-3 is not.

And to repeat, by no means do I mean to disparage these headphones. I'm not even trying to saying that I don't enjoy them-- sometimes I really do. Like you said, maybe it's my ears or maybe it's my music (really doubt the latter, kinda doubt the former, even though I know I do have some hearing issues). If you hear it as reference or neutral or transparent, great. I'm glad for you. I just don't and can't hear it that way.
Thanks for all your opinions of the PM3. I've had the H6 for a while and they're quite enjoyable but the idea of buying and trying the PM3 lingers in my mind. Even more so now that I have an HD6XX and a Magni 3 paired with it. They sound so effortless and natural and real and with the Magni 3 they don't sound as warm and even a little bright at times but still very smooth. I don't find them dull at all, actually quite energetic, and I feel like I'm inside the recording studio or at the concert when I listen to them. They have so much detail across the spectrum, minus a noticeable lack of sub-bass. While the H6 sounds great, to me, I notice just this kind of a lack of that naturalness, the feeling of being in the music. Instead I get the feeling of just listening to headphones, which makes sense, they are headphones, I guess the best way to put it is they are a little more analytical. But I wonder if I would enjoy the tonality and 'feel' of the PM3, despite their truncated treble. Or, would the lack of air annoy me. I don't feel a lack of air in the HD6XX.

Oct 4, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #5,661 of 6,302
Thanks for all your opinions of the PM3. I've had the H6 for a while and they're quite enjoyable but the idea of buying and trying the PM3 lingers in my mind. Even more so now that I have an HD6XX and a Magni 3 paired with it. They sound so effortless and natural and real and with the Magni 3 they don't sound as warm and even a little bright at times but still very smooth. I don't find them dull at all, actually quite energetic, and I feel like I'm inside the recording studio or at the concert when I listen to them. They have so much detail across the spectrum, minus a noticeable lack of sub-bass. While the H6 sounds great, to me, I notice just this kind of a lack of that naturalness, the feeling of being in the music. Instead I get the feeling of just listening to headphones, which makes sense, they are headphones, I guess the best way to put it is they are a little more analytical. But I wonder if I would enjoy the tonality and 'feel' of the PM3, despite their truncated treble. Or, would the lack of air annoy me. I don't feel a lack of air in the HD6XX.

You know, people's impressions of them vary so much, it's kind of hard to say.
Depending on my mood I can listen to the PM-3 without any EQ. Other times not. Today, for instance, I was listening and just feeling kind of "blah" about them and wondering if maybe it was the recording, or what, but then I realized the EQ was off. Switched it back on and problem solved!

I've ranted about them in the past, but really I do like them. I'd even say they're phenomenal for the price. And talk about an effortless sound! The DT 1990 sound kind of like they're showing off all they can do, but the PM-3 just show up and get the job done. No fuss, no muss.
It's just two things that bother me: 1) the sound signature is off to my ear; and 2) I have a definite knee-jerk reaction when something is hyped as much as these are (or were... maybe not so much anymore).

I'd say, if you can find 'em for a reasonable price, grab 'em. If you don't like them, you won't have a hard time selling them for the same price you got them.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #5,664 of 6,302
a little less stellar for me but still one of the best portable headphones. They sound complete to me with just a little peak starting from 5kHz but not offensive.
Its neutrality may sound off or boring to others but it is impressive. My purpose of using them is for monitoring/mixing which I do really find they're good at.

Oct 4, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #5,665 of 6,302
You know, people's impressions of them vary so much, it's kind of hard to say.
Depending on my mood I can listen to the PM-3 without any EQ. Other times not. Today, for instance, I was listening and just feeling kind of "blah" about them and wondering if maybe it was the recording, or what, but then I realized the EQ was off. Switched it back on and problem solved!

I've ranted about them in the past, but really I do like them. I'd even say they're phenomenal for the price. And talk about an effortless sound! The DT 1990 sound kind of like they're showing off all they can do, but the PM-3 just show up and get the job done. No fuss, no muss.
It's just two things that bother me: 1) the sound signature is off to my ear; and 2) I have a definite knee-jerk reaction when something is hyped as much as these are (or were... maybe not so much anymore).

I'd say, if you can find 'em for a reasonable price, grab 'em. If you don't like them, you won't have a hard time selling them for the same price you got them.
I’m seriously considering I just don’t know if I can spend the money and my gf would kill me lol. One thing I wonder about is the soundstage, another aspect that seems to be debated. Makes sense it’s not too wide as it’s a closed headphone but is it as bad as people say it is? I find the soundstage of the H6 and HD6XX close in width, the H6 has more height, while the HD6XX has more depth.

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #5,667 of 6,302
I’m seriously considering I just don’t know if I can spend the money and my gf would kill me lol. One thing I wonder about is the soundstage, another aspect that seems to be debated. Makes sense it’s not too wide as it’s a closed headphone but is it as bad as people say it is? I find the soundstage of the H6 and HD6XX close in width, the H6 has more height, while the HD6XX has more depth.
I'm not a great judge of soundstage. Both the DT 1990 and HD 650 have pretty intimate soundstages and the PM-3 is a little smaller than those. Though maybe not that much smaller. Maybe? Like I said, I'm not the best judge of soundstage. I did notice that the soundstage did get appreciably larger with amping. Without a decent amp I found them to be claustrophobic.
Not that they require much power. My first amp I used with them was the Fiio E12A, which is technically an amp for IEMs. Now I use them with the Dragonfly Red.

One thing I almost forgot is that they don't work well with glasses. Bass pretty much disappears once the seal is broken. For this reason I don't really consider the PM-3 to be portable. Need reading glasses? Not with the PM-3 you don't! Want your sunglasses? Too bad! Just need to see? That's nice.

Sounds like you need to trade up in the girlfriend world. I just realized my wife bought me every one of my on- and over-ear headphones. Man. I really am lucky!!

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #5,668 of 6,302
I'm not a great judge of soundstage. Both the DT 1990 and HD 650 have pretty intimate soundstages and the PM-3 is a little smaller than those. Though maybe not that much smaller. Maybe? Like I said, I'm not the best judge of soundstage. I did notice that the soundstage did get appreciably larger with amping. Without a decent amp I found them to be claustrophobic.
Not that they require much power. My first amp I used with them was the Fiio E12A, which is technically an amp for IEMs. Now I use them with the Dragonfly Red.

One thing I almost forgot is that they don't work well with glasses. Bass pretty much disappears once the seal is broken. For this reason I don't really consider the PM-3 to be portable. Need reading glasses? Not with the PM-3 you don't! Want your sunglasses? Too bad! Just need to see? That's nice.

Sounds like you need to trade up in the girlfriend world. I just realized my wife bought me every one of my on- and over-ear headphones. Man. I really am lucky!!
That is pretty lucky! Anyway I was joking I don’t think she’d be too mad just not sure that she understands the hobby. I’m sure I could talk myself out of trouble :)

Thinking I might as well try it, and just keep the one I prefer. One thing I notice too, even though the H6 is smooth it can still be either a little too bright or a little too bassy at times especially when the volume is up; I’ve been noticing a little fatigue with longer listening at work. I guess I’m just sensitive. I could hardly stand the DT 770. Having the HD6XX, I’m becoming more of a midrange fan too I think...

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #5,669 of 6,302
"megabigeye said:
Yes, but these are the only headphones I have that need any EQing, other than just boosting the bass. I don't think anybody has ever referred to the HD 650 as bright, but in comparison to the PM-3 they are... At least to my ears. And compared to my DT 1990, the bass is absolutely rolled off.
Here's how I'd say they compare to my other phones:
vs DT 1990: (DT 1990 cost 50% more) PM-3's sub-bass is rolled off, lacks "slam;" mids are less pronounced; treble is way, way less present (DT 1990 are known for bright treble, so no surprise)
vs HD 650: PM-3 have similar sub-bass extension, but less mid-bass emphasis; mids are significantly less pronounced; treble is less present
vs qJAYS v1 (PM-3 are almost 100% more expensive): PM-3 have less bass extension, though there's more of the bass that it does have; mids are less pronounced; treble is significantly less present.
vs RHA T20i (PM-3 are 100% more expensive): PM-3 have less bass extension and less bass overall; mids are less pronounced; treble is less-to-significantly-less present.
DT-1990 are considered bright but otherwise neutral, HD 650 are considered dark and warm, qJAYS are considered neutral but bass shy (it's what was called "flat" when describing IEMs some 10 years ago), and the T20i are generally considered to be v-shaped-- and yet the PM-3 are the only ones that need EQing! I just can't understand how that could be considered either "neutral" or "transparent."
And as to their being "sharp like scalpel..." My impression couldn't be further from this. The DT 1990, is sharp and surgical. The PM-3 is not."

I am trying to find headband cover for the oppo pm-3. Will the dimensions of any of the above headphones match the PM3?
The only cover I noticed which might suit its dimensions is :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078MFY3X...colid=Z400Q1VIIYWS&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

24cm long and 10.5 cm wide . its made of wool yarn.

The headband cover is flaking off. I was nervous that the same thing might happen to the earpads. I changed the earpads to brainwavz angled sheepskin earpads. I feel that the sound is much better , especially bass. It appears that the default earpads might be suppressing the signature of the oppo pm -3. I feel there is more depth, little more soundstage, little more details and decent bass.
This is my first decent headphones . Had bose in ear phones and a sony headphones which I got for 40 USD .
You might want to try the earpads.

Thanks all.

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #5,670 of 6,302
The headband issue is a common problem, it is a shame that its not a bit more hard wearing. The headband cover you linked to should work, please let us know if you get it and it fits.

The look is very individual, some may like the knitted wool look but I'm not so sure, I would probably go for something more like this (I don't know if it fits though, its just my suggestion):

https://goo.gl/9VUvEZ

Edit: I just ordered this one, lets see if it fits:

https://goo.gl/HtGsQ5

The Brainwavz pads are a good replacement, recommended from me too, so its just the headband issue that keeps these from being the last headphone I ever "have" to buy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back