Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 14, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #5,506 of 6,302
Indeed sad news, and, why?

https://oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

Get your Oppo players/headphones while you can!

Why Oppo... I believe they still can profit off by making high-end audio stuff such as headphones and amp+dacs. They may just need to market them a little better. Heck there's even an awesome mod of the PM-2. I hope they come back to life in the future. Now The price of HA-2s rose by a lot and I still haven't bought it for my PM-3s. Maybe there are other alternative for portable amp+dac combo for my PM-3s but my main goal currently is either HA-2 or the SE version.

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #5,507 of 6,302
So I made earpad swap. Admittedly not until after I validated from Oppo that I could still get replacement earpads if I needed them. :) (For those interested, $39 for the earpads, $49 if you send the PM-3s to them and have them install them.)

The first thing I noticed was the pads no longer touched my ears. I didn't think that was an issue, but I guess it was. Definitely more comfortable.

I also found that I turned the volume up a bit more. I expect this may have something to do with the additional roominess but that's just speculation on my part. I've only been listening for a few minutes but my initial thoughts are very positive. I don't feel like there's any loss of clarity, but there's definitely more space. I'm going through my usual test tracks and the difference is noticeable. It's possible some of the edge may have been taken off the guitars on Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction, but it's subtle, if at all. Dave Matthews Band's So Much to Say and Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing both seem to have more breathing room. I've got a lot more listening to do, but I'm glad I made the change. I can definitely recommend it.

Thanks much to @big_scot_nanny, @FastAndClean and @SteveOliver (and others I may have missed) for the helpful posts.

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #5,509 of 6,302
I sold mine one month ago, for the half of the money I got the DT1350, I was happy with the pm3 but I couldn't get over the wet rounded notes, I was craving for something more snappy and extended on top, pm3 has amazing mids through

Apr 15, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #5,510 of 6,302
So I made earpad swap. Admittedly not until after I validated from Oppo that I could still get replacement earpads if I needed them. :) (For those interested, $39 for the earpads, $49 if you send the PM-3s to them and have them install them.)

The first thing I noticed was the pads no longer touched my ears. I didn't think that was an issue, but I guess it was. Definitely more comfortable.

I also found that I turned the volume up a bit more. I expect this may have something to do with the additional roominess but that's just speculation on my part. I've only been listening for a few minutes but my initial thoughts are very positive. I don't feel like there's any loss of clarity, but there's definitely more space. I'm going through my usual test tracks and the difference is noticeable. It's possible some of the edge may have been taken off the guitars on Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction, but it's subtle, if at all. Dave Matthews Band's So Much to Say and Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing both seem to have more breathing room. I've got a lot more listening to do, but I'm glad I made the change. I can definitely recommend it.

Thanks much to @big_scot_nanny, @FastAndClean and @SteveOliver (and others I may have missed) for the helpful posts.

Fab, great job, glad you are happy with the outcome, and that I could help a little.

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #5,511 of 6,302

I'm pretty scared to mod my pads, I think I'll keep em stock for now. Does more breathing room = more soundstage for you? And how's the bass now, hopefully unaffected I presume.

Can't wait for my Oppo HA-2 to arrive! I'll post my impression of how it pairs with my PM-3 when I'm ready.

And does anyone know a headphone that contrast to the PM-3s as in having airy sparkly highs with good quantity and good soundstage at the same price point? My buying addiction is starting to itch. :deadhorse:

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #5,512 of 6,302
I'm pretty scared to mod my pads, I think I'll keep em stock for now. Does more breathing room = more soundstage for you? And how's the bass now, hopefully unaffected I presume.

Can't wait for my Oppo HA-2 to arrive! I'll post my impression of how it pairs with my PM-3 when I'm ready.

And does anyone know a headphone that contrast to the PM-3s as in having airy sparkly highs with good quantity and good soundstage at the same price point? My buying addiction is starting to itch. :deadhorse:

Perhaps Master&Dynamic M60? Not really similar sound to the PM-3 really but overall very close to being as good. I liked them a lot when I heard them. The problem is there are really very few reference closed cans that are designed primarily for or work well as portable devices in the price range of the PM3's.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #5,513 of 6,302
Perhaps Master&Dynamic M60? Not really similar sound to the PM-3 really but overall very close to being as good. I liked them a lot when I heard them. The problem is there are really very few reference closed cans that are designed primarily for or work well as portable devices in the price range of the PM3's.
Open backs that could work for HA-2 is fine actually. Since I can use PM-3 for outside listening. Don't really want to use cans that fatigues me when I'm outside. When indoors I could switch headphones depending on my mood, though I guess this is still a pretty long time.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #5,514 of 6,302
Open backs that could work for HA-2 is fine actually. Since I can use PM-3 for outside listening. Don't really want to use cans that fatigues me when I'm outside. When indoors I could switch headphones depending on my mood, though I guess this is still a pretty long time.

Well, that changes everything. Just way too many choices now to make a recommendation without knowing specifically what type of sound signature you are looking for.

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #5,515 of 6,302

Thanks for this feedback. I'm kinda interested in this mod, but I'm always skeptical of perceived improvements. Your pointing out specifics is helpful.

By "breathing room," do you mean soundstage or instrument separation? Or something else?
Too bad about the lack of "edge" on guitars. This is one area I've always found the PM-3 to be deficient and I'd be interested in your longer term impressions and other people's input about the mod.

Also, do the headphones still fit in their case with the Brainwavz pads? Or do the pads have to be compressed?

And one final (potentially stupid) question: does the thicker part of the pad go on the front or rear of the headphone?

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #5,516 of 6,302

By "breathing room," do you mean soundstage or instrument separation? Or something else?

Yes, a larger soundstage. Not necessarily a lot wider, but everything seems to be more in its place. It's difficult to describe. I wouldn't say they were congested before but I would say it's wider now. It's terribly subjective of course and my inability to articulate it doesn't help.

Also, do the headphones still fit in their case with the Brainwavz pads? Or do the pads have to be compressed?

I haven't tried them yet but I read previously on here that they did fit without any issues.

And one final (potentially stupid) question: does the thicker part of the pad go on the front or rear of the headphone?

Not stupid at all. I had to look it up too. Most of what I read, including from Brainwavz, was the thicker pad to the rear. That's how I did them and I'm very pleased.

Too bad about the lack of "edge" on guitars. This is one area I've always found the PM-3 to be deficient and I'd be interested in your longer term impressions and other people's input about the mod.

This is definitely something that hits close to home for me as well. I need to spend some more time on this. I just went right to Countdown to Extinction because the guitars have always had a certain feel and impact for me. I'm going to listen some more today.

I'm currently listening through the Schitt Bimby / Asgard II. I'm waiting for a balanced cable for the PM-3s, along with the AMP4S for the DX200, and then will give that a shot as well. I haven't tried the PM-3s through the DX200 yet. I know they're supposed to be portable but I've almost always used them at my desk. And they're even more comfortable now with the pad swap.

May 7, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #5,520 of 6,302
Hi,
I had bought an oppo pm3 2 yrs ago - May 2016. It sounds good with ipod 5th gen classic (video ipod). I recently bought cowon plenue p1. With oppo pm3 , some of the songs sound different on cowon plenue p1 compared to ipod. I noticed more details in sound on the cowon plenue p1. However, the bass sounds more muted.

I am using exact audio copy to create flac from audio cds, for cowon plenue p1. I am also using aac files created using Itunes. I also have problem with the headband and slight problem with earpads. The synthetic leather on underside of the headband has started cracking . I am disappointed that it happened in such a short time frame. There is very mild problem on the earpad. It looks like synthetic leather might not be very durable in tropical humid weather.
I contacted Oppo support and they said they would repair the headband for 99 USD and the earpad for 39.99 USD if I shipped them to US.
I would appreciate your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back