Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #5,207 of 6,302
Also considering the B&O H6's (v2). Sonic descriptions point to my taste. I did demo the H9 a few months ago, and thought they sounded awesome. Apparently, the sound is the same/similar to the H6's.

I got to listen to the B&O line (H9,8,7,6). The H6 2nd gen was best out of them all. No question. Most balanced sound out of all the portables ive tried, with the biggest soundstage.

The PM-3's have no air, and it breaks my heart. :frowning2:

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #5,208 of 6,302
Hello audio enthusiasts,
I've had the PM3s for 2 weeks now and wanted to share another honest review:

System: Tidal Hifi / Masters, w/ Oppo HA-2SE

Good: Vocals / pop music really sound great with clear reverb. The bass is absolutely fine for my taste especially with the amp.
Bad: Not accurate for classical / stringed instrument presentations. The metallic / high frequency sound is definitely missing. I practiced violin for over 10 years and listen to classical music regularly and IMO this is not the headphone for one that wants that certain metal tweeter detail.

Conclusion: For office listening, I appreciate the laid back treble and actually is less fatiguing over longer listening sessions. At home, I have an electrostatic / Margin Logan system that really fills in the gap for that airy, treble sound I miss while at work. The electrostatic system is obviously going to sound better as it was far more expensive (more air, better sound stage w/ speakers) but I would absolutely consider the PMs to be a step up from dynamic drivers and overall satisfied with the purchase.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #5,209 of 6,302
Hi guys.

For use with these headphones, would you recommend the HA-2, or the HA-2SE?

I know the HA-2SE is meant to be an improved version however is the general feedback that this sounds better with the PM-3's?

Thanks

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #5,210 of 6,302
Here's a photo of a Double Helix Molecule SE balanced cable with the Oppo PM-3 and Sony NW-WM1A. As you can see from my signature, I also have a DH balanced cable to use these headphones with my Oppo HA-1. I cannot report on sound-based comparisons with other balanced cables, but the difference between the unbalanced stock cables and the DH balanced cables is striking, beyond the increase in volume from the additional available power. Running the PM-3 in balanced mode brings them up to another level of sound quality.

t9YNPyAXCBEAe43mAn8xZIZv4trXBDlRLvUxi7X3F5-g0hgyE-Yn3vXZZTOyPZ6LO9FVL1VMTyC6ldADNsewI975QVVCJkmsG-_vi9pVyc9OGoKmtomE84u37iPuOSRt3zySTKkll9s-rpLSZHL1wsj-XPwR7yNGJCXZbu_zZ1M9ipH95AIPbSPmU5cpiFcoPiIasJZgI4zm3l6vKr3iQZetsz2O4g0GGf7irlIla3MkAA8LQN1fcO1o9Fm9f5X0YwnGVMBA3XXrqH1CMkA5ePDqHIkqNbj-uWJ3ES9X-Jshw9Wg6ztGdxIg7pjMhu-WHozeZnUEwwhvX-vvY74r8taYAmamAWQijiQx3Uw7IZqL9lGGPUpWIXiwqHGbYNNbp158sUtJsUXi1FOiuZfGtP3VCtzjxQfoBIQRViLCrNZg0OLUkTwK_-r5f7jHO00xYakJQylH67nRbyjC_LxOYSKlubUhJPqaQn_3Rlo7SvB2sFkgfu2B1-cRjn0d1Xuc5gK5t3AezWqIELx3wUOid9IPX4u1xKMt3hg3BFNiZ12RgJ-8AktEFiLijuRLfCaNDO8-5YT3gw57cqp37PywbMy-6Wd85DPNBhzkbRDOV11cWCvd-7fL_a4iOURuFs8_TaBXOWagdmwlbrlAZ8czbrqg-SpXdus4k_Slkpa6OQ=w1000-no

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #5,211 of 6,302
Here's a photo of a Double Helix Molecule SE balanced cable with the Oppo PM-3 and Sony NW-WM1A. As you can see from my signature, I also have a DH balanced cable to use these headphones with my Oppo HA-1. I cannot report on sound-based comparisons with other balanced cables, but the difference between the unbalanced stock cables and the DH balanced cables is striking, beyond the increase in volume from the additional available power. Running the PM-3 in balanced mode brings them up to another level of sound quality.

Could not agree more with your statement, since I have replaced the stock cable with a lavricable's one. 2.5mm balanced and pure silver for a bit of extension in the treble
http://www.lavricables.com/cables/reference-silver-oppo-pm3/
2qrzt54.jpg

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #5,212 of 6,302

t9YNPyAXCBEAe43mAn8xZIZv4trXBDlRLvUxi7X3F5-g0hgyE-Yn3vXZZTOyPZ6LO9FVL1VMTyC6ldADNsewI975QVVCJkmsG-_vi9pVyc9OGoKmtomE84u37iPuOSRt3zySTKkll9s-rpLSZHL1wsj-XPwR7yNGJCXZbu_zZ1M9ipH95AIPbSPmU5cpiFcoPiIasJZgI4zm3l6vKr3iQZetsz2O4g0GGf7irlIla3MkAA8LQN1fcO1o9Fm9f5X0YwnGVMBA3XXrqH1CMkA5ePDqHIkqNbj-uWJ3ES9X-Jshw9Wg6ztGdxIg7pjMhu-WHozeZnUEwwhvX-vvY74r8taYAmamAWQijiQx3Uw7IZqL9lGGPUpWIXiwqHGbYNNbp158sUtJsUXi1FOiuZfGtP3VCtzjxQfoBIQRViLCrNZg0OLUkTwK_-r5f7jHO00xYakJQylH67nRbyjC_LxOYSKlubUhJPqaQn_3Rlo7SvB2sFkgfu2B1-cRjn0d1Xuc5gK5t3AezWqIELx3wUOid9IPX4u1xKMt3hg3BFNiZ12RgJ-8AktEFiLijuRLfCaNDO8-5YT3gw57cqp37PywbMy-6Wd85DPNBhzkbRDOV11cWCvd-7fL_a4iOURuFs8_TaBXOWagdmwlbrlAZ8czbrqg-SpXdus4k_Slkpa6OQ=w1000-no

What you're hearing in going from the TRS jack to the TRRS jack is a 4x increase in power - from a dismal 60mW peak output per channel to an acceptable 250mW peak output per channel (with the latter being roughly equivalent to 175mW rms, per channel - at 70% of peak).

Quoting: http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/pdfs/NW-WM1A_Specsheet.pdf

Stereo mini-jack : 60mW + 60mW(non CEW, High Gain)
1.6~4.2mW (CEW)

Balanced standard-jack : 250mW + 250mW(non CEW,
High Gain) 1.6~4.2mW (CEW)
Not stated by Sony, who like to obfuscate the diminutive power specs of their relatively small, long-playing DAPs, is that these figures are for 16-Ohm loads.

An Oppo HA-2SE will deliver 300 mW peak, into 16-Ohms vs. the Sony NW-WM1A's 250 mW.

The 26-Ohm PM-3 is very efficient, as planar magnetics go, but they're not what Sony has in mind for any of their DAPs - all of which are optimized for long play time with very efficient headphones or IEMs. The 4x power increase offered by the NW-WM1A's TRRS jack vs. the TRS jack is a lifesaver for your PM-3, but balanced cabling is only incidental to the audible improvements you are hearing. Of course, your play time will be decreased proportionately - there are no free rides - but the difference between 60 mW and 250 mW is no doubt huge with a planar magnetic.

Wait until you hear the dynamics and bass energy offered by the PM-3 when you amp it with at least 500 mW rms per channel into 16-Ohms - twice as much power as your NW-WM1A can deliver, with or without balanced cabling. That's when the PM-3 really comes to life. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #5,213 of 6,302
Wait until you hear the dynamics and bass energy offered by the PM-3 when you amp it with at least 500 mW rms per channel into 16-Ohms - twice as much power as your NW-WM1A can deliver, with or without balanced cabling. That's when the PM-3 really comes to life. :wink:

I have an Oppo HA-1 and a Double Helix balanced cable to use it to power the PM-3. My standard use for the HA-1 is to power, balanced, the Oppo PM-1. So I know what you mean!

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #5,214 of 6,302
Oh, wow! You no doubt do know what I mean. You are very well equipped!

I'm actually a huge fan of Sony's DAPs, just for the unbeatable, bug-free and friendly user interface. I have the much less expensive NWZ-A17, which only offers 10mW peak, per channel, into 16 -Ohms, but I use a USB emulation cable to bypass both its DAC and amp sections, to drive my PM-3 with the Oppo HA-2's DAC and amp. The NWZ-A17 makes a great card reading transport.

8233726.jpg

7871469.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #5,215 of 6,302
When I got my first DH balanced cable to use with the HA-1/PM-3, I was absolutely stunned at the difference it made. That was one reason I waited for and then bought the Sony DAP - balanced power! And because I'm a Mac user, I was very glad the Sony software is Linux-based, so I don't have to mess with Android file transfer issues and can just use the MacOS Finder to transfer the AIF files.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #5,216 of 6,302
Hi! I borrowed them once. I found the midrange and bass to be golden. What I didn't like was the treble. Now few months have gone by, and I miss them. At that time I didn't try them with any amp. Do you think the treble response gets better with an amp?

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #5,217 of 6,302
Oh, wow! You no doubt do know what I mean. You are very well equipped!

I'm actually a huge fan of Sony's DAPs, just for the unbeatable, bug-free and friendly user interface. I have the much less expensive NWZ-A17, which only offers 10mW peak, per channel, into 16 -Ohms, but I use a USB emulation cable to bypass both its DAC and amp sections, to drive my PM-3 with the Oppo HA-2's DAC and amp. The NWZ-A17 makes a great card reading transport.

Nice set-up! so, do you use the HP out on your A17 to feed the amp? How does that bypass the DAP DAC?
Can you elaborate on a "USB emulation cable"?
Do you use that amp/DAC for everything? I just got some Grado's (SR325e's), have an HD6XX on order and want to get PM3's badly. Think it's a "do it all" amp?

Thanks for any input!

Shane D

PS: At this point my DAP's are the NWZ A17 and an iPod Classic.

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #5,218 of 6,302
Nice set-up! so, do you use the HP out on your A17 to feed the amp? How does that bypass the DAP DAC?
Can you elaborate on a "USB emulation cable"?
Do you use that amp/DAC for everything? I just got some Grado's (SR325e's), have an HD6XX on order and want to get PM3's badly. Think it's a "do it all" amp?

Thanks for any input!

Shane D

PS: At this point my DAP's are the NWZ A17 and an iPod Classic.

Hi Shane,

Not currently available: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWEHSQY/

It pulls digital audio out of the NWZ-A17 to make it look like any laptop or PC's USB digital audio signal, do any DAC with USB input can be used, instead of relying on Sony's built-in, proprietary DAC.

There is a Sony part from which this custom cable was made, but it's terminated in a female USB A connector, instead of a male USB Micro connector:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE/

It could be used in combination with a USB adapter to still work with the OPPO HA-2 or any DAC that has a different USB input jack.

As portable DAC/Amps go, on Hi Gain, the HA-2 does very a nice job with the PM-3 and I consider it to be my best portable DAC, at the moment, as when I use the HA-2 Line Out to drive my iBasso PB2 portable amp, with headphones that crave more power.

Here's the (slightly modified) iBasso PB2, driven by the OPPO HA-2 Line Out, using an iPod Touch 6 as the source, in this case. I can drive the HD800, Audeze LCD-2 Rev.1, the Oppi PM-1 or even the 600-Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880 - which I consider to be "the poor man's HD800" - (modified for balanced cables, to get more power from than us available from the PB2's TRS jack.)

58cd99473d955_IMG_4884_32GB_iPod_Touch_6_-_Oppo_HA-2_iBasso_PB2_Pelican_w_Burson_V5_Duals_caps_and_dummy_buff.jpg.469983de493abc01bd200e08e12caf32.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #5,219 of 6,302
Hi Shane,

Not currently available: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWEHSQY/

It pulls digital audio out of the NWZ-A17 to make it look like any laptop or PC's USB digital audio signal, do any DAC with USB input can be used, instead of relying on Sony's built-in, proprietary DAC.

There is a Sony part from which this custom cable was made, but it's terminated in a female USB A connector, instead of a male USB Micro connector:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE/

It could be used in combination with a USB adapter to still work with the OPPO HA-2 or any DAC that has a different USB input jack.

Does it plug into the HP out or the charging port? When I tried to search USB emulation I got results referring to a serial cable?

Also, do you have other phones that you use that amp with?

Thanks!

Shane D

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #5,220 of 6,302
Does it plug into the HP out or the charging port? When I tried to search USB emulation I got results referring to a serial cable?

Also, do you have other phones that you use that amp with?

Thanks!

Shane D

All USB sources plug into the HA-2's charging" port, as you've called it.

Here's a pic of the NWZ-A17 with the Sony USB emulation cable and adapter cable for the HA-2:

7440325.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back