Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 11, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #5,116 of 6,302

Thanks a lot, that's a relief!

I just need to choose between black and white, how dirty do the white ones get?

I've never seen the white ones, just the black pair that I own. I believe they are the same material, though, just a different color, and my black pair looks pretty much brand new, still, after a lot of use and more than a year of ownership. I wouldn't be worried about it at all. They don't seem to cling to any kind of material, not like some headphones that become fuzz/dirt magnets. The design of the PM-3 really is world class.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #5,117 of 6,302
Upgrading to a better cable than the stock PM-3 improves overall sound quality, especially when running the DAP in high gain mode. Low end performance seems a touch smoother with less distortion. I like the convenience of the iPhone cable for travel but 99% of the time, I prefer the sound from my Mediabridge 3.5mm audio cable. Thanks for the tip to run in high gain mode!

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #5,120 of 6,302
Surf Cables can make you one to your specifications.  His cables sound great, are well made
and delivered really quickly. see surfcables.com
I was stunned at how much better the PM3 sounded in balanced mode out of my Pono,
became a whole new beast with much better bass, soundstage and impact.

I agree 100%. Balanced out of Pono is a different world for the PM3.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #5,122 of 6,302
I like the PM3's.  I compared the Oppo HA2 portable head amp and the iFi Micro iDSD.

I have to say that for Pop music the Oppo HA2 was powerful enough-but I listen primarily to Classical-with sometimes wide dynamic range. I found that the volume set on max was not quite enough for the quiet  passages, and not up for the most thunderous crescendos.  It was a noticeable step up from the built in DAC/Amp in the iPhone 5S. It is also portable.

I then tried the iFi Micro iDSD. WOW. Power-and there was nothing anemic about the most demanding crescendos. The music had more separation as well. As a bonus, it does a fine job with my preferred HiFiman HE-560's. 

I've been using the combo at my computer desk at home and work-a lot.
The caveat is that while the Oppo HA2 and iPhone are more portable.

I won't compare the PM3's and HE-560's- not in same league.

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #5,123 of 6,302
I like the PM3's.  I compared the Oppo HA2 portable head amp and the iFi Micro iDSD.

I have to say that for Pop music the Oppo HA2 was powerful enough-but I listen primarily to Classical-with sometimes wide dynamic range. I found that the volume set on max was not quite enough for the quiet  passages, and not up for the most thunderous crescendos.  It was a noticeable step up from the built in DAC/Amp in the iPhone 5S. It is also portable.

I then tried the iFi Micro iDSD. WOW. Power-and there was nothing anemic about the most demanding crescendos. The music had more separation as well. As a bonus, it does a fine job with my preferred HiFiman HE-560's. 

Was it the first HA2 or the new HA2-SE?
I agree with with everything you say, the DSD is a great product.If they could make it a lot smaller it would sell like hotcakes!

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #5,124 of 6,302

This is not the first time I find myself surprised when I read that a headphone amp does not produce sufficient power. For me the Oppo HA-2 had more than enough for the PM-3 (and I too listen primarily to classical).  My conclusion is that I prefer a lower volume than many, if not most, people (and I have tinnitus which I fear exacerbating). Nevertheless, I think this becomes a matter personal preference.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #5,125 of 6,302

The PM-3 is very good - especially with a nice amp and DAC. And they can be used for home listening perfectly well. It just depends on what you are used to and what your budget is. Pair it with a Mojo or like I do with a Liquid Carbon and you are in for a very nice treat. Home listening is absolutely possible and enjoyable.

I currently have some Stax and the Focal Elear at home and a few other lovely cans, and the PM-3 still holds up very nicely. I found them boring at first listen, but give them a few hours on your head and all of that is gone, they are engaging and overall amazing headphones that I love after years of owning them. And I have a couple of "better" headphones as well.

Will open cans for the same budget sound better? Not so sure, some might, some won't. But for your use case these are a very good choice in my opinion.

Would I listen to the PM-3 at home when I can listen to elears? No. But then, different budget.

Cheers.

Ok, I made my selection. The PM-3 it is. I have it about a week now, and it is still in the break-in phase. Fresh out the box the PM-3 sounded quite closed in and grainy. But it has opened up quite nicely now. I really love it. Thanks again Koolpep for your advice. I hope there will be a UAE mini-meet in the not to distant future. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #5,126 of 6,302
Ok, I made my selection. The PM-3 it is. I have it about a week now, and it is still in the break-in phase. Fresh out the box the PM-3 sounded quite closed in and grainy. But it has opened up quite nicely now. I really love it. Thanks again Koolpep for your advice. I hope there will be a UAE mini-meet in the not to distant future. 

Oh absolutely, and with a bit of luck we can listen to @lukeap69 yggradsil and some bloody amazing I can't remember the name off amp....

Anyhow, just came back from the Burj Al Arab beach where I saw Katharine Jenkins perform live - mind blown. She is so talented. Wow.

Anyhow, the mini meet will happen for sure, summer is coming and so is "too hot to do anything outside"-time in Dubai, so stay tuned. For non Dubaians - summer here means up to 122 Fahrenheit - in the shade, plus humidity. :)

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #5,127 of 6,302

Give it some time and I am glad you are happy, I know you will be even happier in the future. :)

Cheers

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #5,128 of 6,302
I have a question about a preference for the adding to the PM3.  I have the Fiio X5iii, and I don't know if I should pair it with an A5 amp to go along with it, or get a balanced cable(X5iii has both balanced and unbalanced ports)  What would be the best suggestion?  Thanks.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #5,129 of 6,302
I have a question about a preference for the adding to the PM3.  I have the Fiio X5iii, and I don't know if I should pair it with an A5 amp to go along with it, or get a balanced cable(X5iii has both balanced and unbalanced ports)  What would be the best suggestion?  Thanks.

The X5iii does 300mW into 32 ohms which is the sweet spot for these headphones and I beleive thats SE output power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back