Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #5,087 of 6,302
Picked up a pair of these for $288. Damn they're good.

Less harsh than my Energy speakers, more bass extension, loads of detail, low distortion.

Warmer and more bass extension than my HF5's (which are basically the best price:performance ratio on the market, sounding hundreds of dollars out of their class!).

Comparing it to my now for sale A900s would be an insult... that Audio Technica ever charged more than $70 for that series is an insult. I guess maybe they didn't have much competion way back in the day? :/

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #5,088 of 6,302
The PM-3 is too mid-centric for me to absolutely fall in love with their sound profile but they do EVERYTHING else like a champ. The construction, design and sound quality (other than FR) is exceptional. That said, pairing it with the right source will make them sound more dynamic across the frequency range. Although I'm not sure I've found that perfectly matched source yet, it's not a high priority. The M5 is pretty darn close to an ideal paring.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #5,089 of 6,302
The PM-3 is mid-centric, but less so with more powerful amps. For example, with AK380 it is mid-centric, warm and a bit slow. With the additional AK380 amp it is faster, with punchier bass and more transparent mids. Even though the PM-3 is easy to drive, it defintely profits from more power.

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #5,090 of 6,302
  The PM-3 is mid-centric, but less so with more powerful amps. For example, with AK380 it is mid-centric, warm and a bit slow. With the additional AK380 amp it is faster, with punchier bass and more transparent mids. Even though the PM-3 is easy to drive, it defintely profits from more power.

I agree with this. They scale well, IMO. With more power, they sound more and more natural. My iBasso DX80 drives them flawlessly to my ears, and my Asgard 2 sounds equally fantastic with them. On a phone or low power amp, they sound very "meh" to me, and indeed mid-centric.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #5,091 of 6,302

I'm going on two years with mine now and they sound great, I run them on my first gen AK 120 my Iphone SE, macbook Pro et etc and have nothing but good exp all around, i think they sound great/fine with the iphone SE.

I  recently had to send mine in to get new ear pads as my old ones were shredding, i called ahead and asked what the turn around time was they said "Oh lets check the warranty," then then said "well its out of Warranty but send them in and we'll replace the ear pads for free and send them right back to you" Which they did, not only did they do that, but i tracked the shipment, they went in and out the same day a few hrs after they replaced the pads. OPPO = great customer service, my first pair were faulty and were replaced ASAP even overnighted my replacement pair... Ymmv but i'm satisfied. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #5,094 of 6,302
Not against the quad drivers but I do have the LZ A4 and the PM-3.

And as much as I like the A4's they come nowhere near close to the PM-3's in any category with the exception of the extreme end of the highs.

I am quite astonished at the price/performance ratio of the Oppo's and I have UERM's Audiofly AF1120 and 180, Denon D5000 Audio Technica AD 2000 to compare them to.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #5,095 of 6,302
This is kind of a crazy comparison but can anyone comment on PM-3 vs MrSpeakers Ether C (not Flow version). I currently have the PM-3 but having an itch to upgrade my DAC/AMP and Headphones and Ether C is looking good. Just looking for some input. Thanks

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #5,096 of 6,302
I received my PM-3 yesterday (as a birthday present).

After initial break-in (where it sounded very constraint, no highs, grainy) they are really shining now. I love the balanced and natural presentation of the music. I find the highs a bit too held back, same as many people have commented before. But I definitely don't find it a boring sounding headphone. It is just that you have to get used to the polite presentation. That takes a few hours of listening, but once you are used to the sound, they are really very good.

One thing though........  In the box I only found the 3m long cable. The shorter (1.2m) cable, suitable for traveling was missing. To those who recently purchased a PM-3, was it supplied with both cables?

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #5,097 of 6,302
  I received my PM-3 yesterday (as a birthday present).

After initial break-in (where it sounded very constraint, no highs, grainy) they are really shining now. I love the balanced and natural presentation of the music. I find the highs a bit too held back, same as many people have commented before. But I definitely don't find it a boring sounding headphone. It is just that you have to get used to the polite presentation. That takes a few hours of listening, but once you are used to the sound, they are really very good.

One thing though........  In the box I only found the 3m long cable. The shorter (1.2m) cable, suitable for traveling was missing. To those who recently purchased a PM-3, was it supplied with both cables?

Yes, mine came with 2 cables, the shorter one has the remote for Android phones.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #5,098 of 6,302
  Yes, mine came with 2 cables, the shorter one has the remote for Android phones.

Thanks Scblacksunshine, I had contacted the shop already, but they haven't come back to me yet.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #5,099 of 6,302
Not against the quad drivers but I do have the LZ A4 and the PM-3.

And as much as I like the A4's they come nowhere near close to the PM-3's in any category with the exception of the extreme end of the highs.

I am quite astonished at the price/performance ratio of the Oppo's and I have UERM's Audiofly AF1120 and 180, Denon D5000 Audio Technica AD 2000 to compare them to.

Which filters do you typically use on the LZ A4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back