Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Apr 9, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #5,101 of 6,302
This is kind of a crazy comparison but can anyone comment on PM-3 vs MrSpeakers Ether C (not Flow version). I currently have the PM-3 but having an itch to upgrade my DAC/AMP and Headphones and Ether C is looking good. Just looking for some input. Thanks

Ether C does everything better than PM3 (except portability) BUT I did not upgrade because they were way too expensive for the improvement I would have got. In addition portability is very important for me, so actually I am looking for an IEM to upgrade from PM3s. I still love my PM3's very much, and will keep them for watching movies, but Ether C is just too big for walking outside. Also bass is not that prominent than with PM3s (although the bass is cleaner with the Ether C).

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #5,103 of 6,302
Ether C does everything better than PM3 (except portability) BUT I did not upgrade because they were way too expensive for the improvement I would have got. In addition portability is very important for me, so actually I am looking for an IEM to upgrade from PM3s. I still love my PM3's very much, and will keep them for watching movies, but Ether C is just too big for walking outside. Also bass is not that prominent than with PM3s (although the bass is cleaner with the Ether C).

Thanks. That's good to know. Really like my PM-3 but now that I got my K3003i feels like PM-3 sound is not as analytical to me and want something similar to K3003i. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #5,104 of 6,302
Hey, guys! Just wondering if anyone here can offer a direct comparison between the PM-3 and M70x. I'll be using these for professional gaming, therefore require a closed headphone for noisy LAN tournaments (and a noisy NYC apartment) as well as neutrality (a common misconception is that competitive headphones should be bass light, when actually a lot of the import positional cues in FPS games, such as footsteps, reside in the lower frequencies as well). So I'm looking for something that is completely uncolored (at least as much as possible for a closed headphone under $400). I'm not concerned with soundstage size whatsoever, as I'll be using HRTF and binaural processing for spatial awareness. Instead, I care more about detail retrieval and imaging. This is what concerns me about the PM-3. Although incredibly neutral, I wonder whether the slight treble roll-off will contain import imaging information, that maybe the M70x won't dismiss. I know the high frequencies in the M70x can be considered harsh by some, but for gaming this *may* not be too much of a concern? I'm honestly not sure. Regardless, if anyone can offer a direct comparison between these two (sound first! but isolation / comfort as well) then I would be incredibly grateful. Thank you in advance!

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #5,105 of 6,302
I'm pretty much set on buying a pair of PM-3's for mostly portable use when travelling, I just want to confirm one thing: Is the clamping force high?
I ask as I have a large head, I use AKG K550's which are great but  had to give away my Sennheiser HD25-II's as they were too uncomfortable.

2nd question is on colour: I have only seen the black ones in the flesh, which look fine,  in photos I don't like the red ones, the blue look ok and the white ones look the nicest.
I understand it's subjective but how do people find the different colours in reality?

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5,106 of 6,302
The clamping force is not strong and they are relatively comfortable. If you have big ears, they can be a bit smaller than you like. As for clamp force you can always bend it more outward to reduce the pressure. Can't comment on the other colors since I have the black and never seen the other one, but I think black is the safe and classic bet, the only other color I would consider is blue.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #5,107 of 6,302
  The clamping force is not strong and they are relatively comfortable. If you have big ears, they can be a bit smaller than you like. As for clamp force you can always bend it more outward to reduce the pressure. Can't comment on the other colors since I have the black and never seen the other one, but I think black is the safe and classic bet, the only other color I would consider is blue.

Thanks a lot, that sets my mind at rest wrt. the clamping force.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #5,108 of 6,302
  Hey, guys! Just wondering if anyone here can offer a direct comparison between the PM-3 and M70x. I'll be using these for professional gaming, therefore require a closed headphone for noisy LAN tournaments (and a noisy NYC apartment) as well as neutrality (a common misconception is that competitive headphones should be bass light, when actually a lot of the import positional cues in FPS games, such as footsteps, reside in the lower frequencies as well). So I'm looking for something that is completely uncolored (at least as much as possible for a closed headphone under $400). I'm not concerned with soundstage size whatsoever, as I'll be using HRTF and binaural processing for spatial awareness. Instead, I care more about detail retrieval and imaging. This is what concerns me about the PM-3. Although incredibly neutral, I wonder whether the slight treble roll-off will contain import imaging information, that maybe the M70x won't dismiss. I know the high frequencies in the M70x can be considered harsh by some, but for gaming this *may* not be too much of a concern? I'm honestly not sure. Regardless, if anyone can offer a direct comparison between these two (sound first! but isolation / comfort as well) then I would be incredibly grateful. Thank you in advance!

PM3  is an elegant lady with highest frequencies a bit cut, M70x  is a widely less elegant( Highest and lowest are more stressed) and objectively less comfortable

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #5,109 of 6,302
  I'm pretty much set on buying a pair of PM-3's for mostly portable use when travelling, I just want to confirm one thing: Is the clamping force high?
I ask as I have a large head, I use AKG K550's which are great but  had to give away my Sennheiser HD25-II's as they were too uncomfortable.

I have a massive head (I wear the LCD-2 on the max settings on the gimbals) and the PM-3 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever had. I wear both sides at 9 clicks down the headband and it is easy to forget I'm even wearing them. Since it sounds like you have had the same kind of issues as me in the past so I would not be worried. They are fantastic.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #5,110 of 6,302
Regarding clamping force, I was bothered by it at first, and then the discomfort went away after a few weeks. I'm 6'3" with an average sized head, or so I like to think. Just give it at least three weeks and then you can send it back within your 30 day return window if clamping's a problem. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #5,112 of 6,302
  The PM-3 is mid-centric, but less so with more powerful amps. For example, with AK380 it is mid-centric, warm and a bit slow. With the additional AK380 amp it is faster, with punchier bass and more transparent mids. Even though the PM-3 is easy to drive, it defintely profits from more power.

I share same impression, i cannot Imagine how PM3 improuve with 8 watt Augio GD amps ...

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #5,113 of 6,302
  I share same impression, i cannot Imagine how PM3 improuve with 8 watt Augio GD amps ...

I drove the PM-2 balanced from the speaker taps with the help of the Hifiman HE-Adapter on a meet up and switched back and forth between headphone out and speaker taps out - huge difference.

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #5,114 of 6,302
  The PM-3 is mid-centric, but less so with more powerful amps. For example, with AK380 it is mid-centric, warm and a bit slow. With the additional AK380 amp it is faster, with punchier bass and more transparent mids. Even though the PM-3 is easy to drive, it defintely profits from more power.

Even with the gain turned up on the Shanling DAP, I find the PM-3's sub-bass response to be rather quiet, compared to the rest of the low end response. Not a huge problem, and I still like the PM-3s for lots of other reasons. It's just lacking that last bit of "fun" that would put them completely over for me. Still the best pair of portable over-ears you can get.

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #5,115 of 6,302
  I have a massive head (I wear the LCD-2 on the max settings on the gimbals) and the PM-3 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever had. I wear both sides at 9 clicks down the headband and it is easy to forget I'm even wearing them. Since it sounds like you have had the same kind of issues as me in the past so I would not be worried. They are fantastic.

Thanks a lot, that's a relief!

I just need to choose between black and white, how dirty do the white ones get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back