Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 30, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #5,071 of 6,302
Who sells this product at this price? Thanks in advance. Nevermind, I see that Partsconnexion has a 1.3m for $82

But damn the Sennheiser HD-650 3m version of this cable is $250!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SF6P32Q/ref=dra_a_ms_mr_hn_xx_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=19ee9f0b1727ff5f777f0575f796a964_CT

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #5,074 of 6,302
Thanks for the message and review as I found it difficult to find reviews about the company and cables.

Do you own the cable your self?
Thanks for the message and review as I found it difficult to find reviews about the company and cables.

I did own it. I sold my PM3 about 6 months ago to fund my LCD XC purchase. I sold the cable with it. I just purchased a PM 3 again. I missed the portability of the PM 3. And I really like the PM 3 creaminess. The IHP 35 1.3 meter length is great for portability. Is OCC and the right thickness and pliability. I am more about ergonomics with cables. Is there a sound improvement? I do not dare get that subjective.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5,075 of 6,302

Ray is a good guy to contact with ADL USA.  raymond@adl-av.com

He is very helpful with getting the right cable. He is also fair and not just trying to make a sale.  

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #5,077 of 6,302
I recently purchased the wonderful pm3s. I play then through the new fiio X5iii, and it does sound wonderful. Only thing is I can't get much bass with that unit on the headphones even with adjusting the EQ, any recommendations to get a better\fuller sound?

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #5,078 of 6,302
I recently purchased the wonderful pm3s. I play then through the new fiio X5iii, and it does sound wonderful. Only thing is I can't get much bass with that unit on the headphones even with adjusting the EQ, any recommendations to get a better\fuller sound?

It's probably an issue of the earpads sealing around your ears. Glasses or hair in the way can prevent that from happening properly. I've also noticed the leather benefits from being warmed up through contact with your skin. After 15 minutes or so, the seal improves, I find.

With EQ, they should deliver some pretty solid bass presence. Perhaps not as robust as a bass-tuned dynamic driver, but well north of neutral anyway.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #5,082 of 6,302
well I'm flying with my new refurb pm-3 on Friday on a small prop and a larger bird. Link me up with some tracks you want to know about and what elements you are looking for and I could get back to you--I'm a noob to audiophilia but this could be a fun exercise haha. Tell me a subtlety to a track you really need to hear and I'll let you know my experience trying to hear it (volume, gain, gear, etc.).

Were you able to conduct your test?

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #5,083 of 6,302
Were you able to conduct your test?
Yes, although I didn't have time to really familiarize myself with the pieces before I left. I will say I began with the Beethoven and tried the Haydn and enjoyed it so much I spent the rest of the trip listening to old classical pieces I had on my phone. I plan to try again on the way home after listening to the5th and Surprise more this week. I fly back this coming Monday. For now I can say I really enjoyed the listening experience and could hear quite a lot of soft detail without ever hurting my ears. I played at a volume level either at or actually below my usual listening volume (20-27 on my Fiio alpen 2 17k) and never felt like I was missing much. Obviously during take-off and landing a little bit is lost but honestly I still could hear enough to enjoy. The isolation really is quite good. But more after Monday.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #5,084 of 6,302
Yes, although I didn't have time to really familiarize myself with the pieces before I left. I will say I began with the Beethoven and tried the Haydn and enjoyed it so much I spent the rest of the trip listening to old classical pieces I had on my phone. I plan to try again on the way home after listening to the5th and Surprise more this week. I fly back this coming Monday. For now I can say I really enjoyed the listening experience and could hear quite a lot of soft detail without ever hurting my ears. I played at a volume level either at or actually below my usual listening volume (20-27 on my Fiio alpen 2 17k) and never felt like I was missing much. Obviously during take-off and landing a little bit is lost but honestly I still could hear enough to enjoy. The isolation really is quite good. But more after Monday.

Look forward to a report after the return flight. 

It is great music.  If you have Haydn's Symphony No. 93 listen to the fart in the second movement.  I kid you not.  Best is the performance by the Cleveland Orchestra led by George Szell.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #5,085 of 6,302
I am more into the music after Haydn. But I will have to hear that fart.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back