Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #4,426 of 6,302
V-moda M-100 cables fit the PM-3 very well. In fact I am using the V-moda Boom Pro for my skyping need.

Surf Cables and Dyxon make very good cables for PM-3. And so do Forza.

I find the Oppo short cable has slightly better SQ than the Vmoda cable (i.e. The Oppo option without any phone controls).

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #4,427 of 6,302
I find the Oppo short cable has slightly better SQ than the Vmoda cable (i.e. The Oppo option without any phone controls).

Great - nice to know. I am not using any of the stock Oppo cables. I use the Surf cables ALO/RSA balanced for my Theorem 720 or an ebay SE cable for my Mojo/X5.

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #4,428 of 6,302
Hi guys,

heres my current situation:

I currently own a HE-560 for home use (being open-back, W4R and CIEM UM Miracle for office and outdoor use. Source is a DX80 with iDSD Micro.

Thinking of getting a Oppo PM-3 for office use (mainly), wanting a larger soundstage, a different sound signature and maybe comfort (using IEMs for a very long time tends to be tiring as well). However, I am wondering if the sound quality of the PM-3 will be much lower than what I have and end up me not using it entirely.

So what I want to ask:

Given my current audio gear, would you guys suggest me to get the PM-3 (or any closed-back headphone)?

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #4,429 of 6,302
PM-3 are the best closed portable headphones, full stop. You get detail, instrument separation and brilliant sound quality overall. Just don't expect a huge sound stage, you won't get that from these cans. Can't see what else you could get though fro the money. MrSpeakers Ether C perhaps, but they're not as closed and definitely not too portable either.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #4,432 of 6,302
  Hi guys,

I currently own a HE-560 for home use (being open-back, W4R and CIEM UM Miracle for office and outdoor use. Source is a DX80 with iDSD Micro.

Thinking of getting a Oppo PM-3 for office use (mainly), wanting a larger soundstage, a different sound signature and maybe comfort (using IEMs for a very long time tends to be tiring as well). However, I am wondering if the sound quality of the PM-3 will be much lower than what I have and end up me not using it entirely.

So what I want to ask:

Given my current audio gear, would you guys suggest me to get the PM-3 (or any closed-back headphone)?

The Audeze Sine seems to be widely regarded among PM3 owners who have both, or heard both as being an obvious step up in sound quality. Apparently comfort wise it is very good as well, but not as comfortable as the PM3. If you don't mind a little softer treble the PM3 as Sabloke has said is hard to beat, but many say the Sine has indeed overtaken it.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #4,433 of 6,302
I can't see myself using Sine as they're on ear and that's a no go for me. They also cost more, about AUD$200 price difference here in Oz. Don't think isolation is anywhere near as good as PM-3 and that matters a lot in an office or airplane.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #4,434 of 6,302
  I can't see myself using Sine as they're on ear and that's a no go for me. They also cost more, about AUD$200 price difference here in Oz. Don't think isolation is anywhere near as good as PM-3 and that matters a lot in an office or airplane.

I thought the isolation with the Sine was excellent? I usually do not prefer on-ear either, but apparently the Sine is pretty comfortable.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4,435 of 6,302
  Hi guys,

So what I want to ask:

Soundstage isn't anything special on the PM-3's. I've personally found them a little too narrow compared to my NAD VISO HP50's (and a bit cold, but that's more of a sound signature preference), but they do offer a great deal of detail and clarity as well as great build quality and comfort. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #4,436 of 6,302
  Hi guys,

So what I want to ask:

Having both the 560 and PM-3, I will say the PM-3 is a very noticeable step down in just about every way except bass impact, or if you prefer much smoother treble, it has a lot less of that. That said, it's got excellent midrange response and the bass impact and sub bass is pretty enjoyable, I definitely prefer it to my IEMs.

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #4,437 of 6,302

Having both the 560 and PM-3, I will say the PM-3 is a very noticeable step down in just about every way except bass impact, or if you prefer much smoother treble, it has a lot less of that. That said, it's got excellent midrange response and the bass impact and sub bass is pretty enjoyable, I definitely prefer it to my IEMs.

PM-3 in the office with Liquid Carbon and balanced cable = bliss
560 at home with Burson Conductor or speaker taps on my old Sansui amp = bliss

Very good combination = these two are the best in their respective price ranges in my opinion.

Cheers.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #4,438 of 6,302

Soundstage isn't anything special on the PM-3's. I've personally found them a little too narrow compared to my NAD VISO HP50's (and a bit cold, but that's more of a sound signature preference), but they do offer a great deal of detail and clarity as well as great build quality and comfort. 

I've got a set of NAD VISO HP50s (and their "cousin" cans PSB M4U1 as well), and am really interested in the PM3s. Can you elaborate on the differences/similarities?

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #4,439 of 6,302

I've got a set of NAD VISO HP50s (and their "cousin" cans PSB M4U1 as well), and am really interested in the PM3s. Can you elaborate on the differences/similarities?

I should start by saying that I've had the NAD's for about 2 months now. I considered both the NAD's and PM-3's, but I was able to get the NAD's for $100 used on eBay, which was just too great a deal to pass up. Still my curiosity remained about the PM-3's, so I'm currently trying them out through Oppo's loaner program that they have on the Sponser forum here.

After about a week with them, what I can say they have over the NAD's is more detail and precision. They're also more comfortable for extended wearing, but I also found they isolate a little less and leak more sound, though they're still very good in those areas. Both have some roll-off in the highs, but maybe a little less so with the PM-3's. The NAD's definitely win by a good margin on soundstage, I found the PM-3's much more narrow and they give more of a closed-in feeling to the sound.

The NAD's also have more of a bass emphasis, which I like. The PM-3's extend pretty well, but I miss the extra bass presence personally. The NAD's overall have a much more warm presentation, while the Oppo's sound more flat to my ears (dare I say a little boring?). If I had to make an analogy, it's like the difference between vinyl and digital. I personally like the warmth the NAD's give me, even if they lack technically compared to the detail the PM-3's can deliver, so I feel like my original choice has been reaffirmed, the NAD's are right for me

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #4,440 of 6,302
Okay guys, testing period over, I returned the Sine + Cipher  and I returned the Dragonfly Red + Apple CCK contraption.  

Keeping PM3s, will cancel premium Spotify and keep hi def Tidal. 

I think I will be pulling the trigger on a tube amp for less than $100 on massdrop right now.    I've got the right cans, now it's time to play with reasonably priced small (notice I don't say portable)  DAC/AMPs for a bit.  Something I'd keep next to me while listening to music at home, but not for walking the dog.

I didn't get much of a reply on ohms and impedence here but I talked to Oppo and they were helpful.  I just wanted to make sure the tube amp couldn't 'hurt' the PM3s.   The Oppo guy actually looked at amp/DAC and seemed to think it was a good  price for a decent tube.

So I'm north of 60 hours with PM3, on its own.   I have to say  expectations  exceeded: with so far free 30 day TIdal subscription it's very cool to be able to jack the PM3s into hi def CD quality streaming on laptop, reference home AVR, mobile phone or tablet - and get nice results with all.  Spotify premium is not hi def and i hear the difference, ergo Spotify being cancelled, continue with Tidal.  So it will be a net of $10 more per month. 

As more hours go by with PM3s I'm finding I'm selecting the option to have Tidal finish playing the album I selected first, and then riff on what I like, really floaty, random.  

Regarding Roon, okay I have 60 days free trial and it's a shame because I won't use it.   I clicked some 'genres" that I like, and suddenly i had more than 500 albums i didn't have before borging into my Tidal streaming library.  Wait a minute.  500+ albums I've never seen in my library before ?  I figured out how to undo that.     And - I don't 'watch" Roon while I'm listening to music.  I can't even really explain exactly what Roon is.  Is it fun to play with?   Yes.  Is it very cool?  Does it have a lot of depth?  Yes.  Yes.  Am I going to pay for that on top of the Tidal fee?  No.  Tidal without Roon is fine.   But if you can grab a free trial, check it out. 

I did not expect I'd be canceling Spotify and going to Tidal.  I find the hi def streaming on Tidal like night / day. 

Comfort was the problem for me with Sine and it didn't improve within the return window with a LOT of trying.   Sine + Cipher sounded brigher and faster than PM3 alone at first.  But with more time, the PM3s are opening up. The separation is more immersive.   I think CD quality streaming helps.  

It didn't help that Audeze's alternate included cable was way too short for using AVR.    I mean, way too short.   So, does Audeze not want people to use Sine with an AVR?   C'mon guys.  Put a 10 ft cable in the box for $543 with tax. Didn't get as much a fair listen with my AVR as source.   Toward the end, I was not wanting to put them on, and just reaching for the $319 refurb PM3s.  

I have the bone conduction and microphonics issue when walking.  Not with cable movement.   Walking.    Contrary to a lot of what I've read  - just for the record - of everything I've tried, the PM3s have the least microphonic feedback, even though they create the most perfect acoustic vacuum.  They fit me very well, completely over ear, the soundstage is unlike anything else I've auditioned. 

To put on Apple ear buds now is like - ugh.

If the Sine were more comfortable, okay a LOT more comfortable, they would be a contender.   The Cipher lightning DAC matters.  It's a paradigm shift.  It is the only, truly, portable DAC on the market in my humble opinion.  And there's a power price to pay in terms of phone battery.  The Cipher DAC overrides the Iphone sound processor, and sucks power from the phone.  I would estimate low single digit extra percentage points of juice per hour.   When Apple confirms Iphone 7 specs,  it makes me wonder if part of the trade off to achieve a bigger battery - is that a bigger battery  will accommodate  an avalanche of interesting  integrated digital lightning DACs, or even DAC/amps.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back