Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 22, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #4,396 of 6,313
Well, to put it rather succinctly as I am not one for flowery words or purple prose, I found the 1.0's to be a bit more dynamic with a bit better bass quantity and similar treble. The PM-3 does have better subbass and though the PM-3's bass takes a dip at the point of the midbass, it's very well extended, so I wouldn't say it's rolled off any. The PM-3 also overall does better detail (as in real textures and not overemphasized treble) and if you're going exclusively between the two of them, the PM-3 is noticeably faster, as if you never realized that the Momentum's notes just stuck around a smidge too long.

I can't really comment too much on soundstage or imaging. Both aren't anything that I would deem noteworthy but there is good separation with both and no problems with "wall of sound" or the like. Overall, the PM-3 is the technically superior headphone IMO, but the 1.0 sounds a bit more engaging and "fun" due to the increased bass emphasis. I find I prefer the sound of the PM3s when using them for portable purposes as they provide a rather impressive listen without running the risk of fatigue, and they can be EQed very well if in need of excitement on the go. They're both really great headphones though with what I would consider more similarities than differences. The differences they do have are all within a few degrees of eachother if I were to assign any sort of numerical value to their traits.

I'm not really expecting the pm3 to destroy the Momentum. I'm using both for portable use primarily so will be driving them from a Fiio X3ii.

I'll post comparisons when they come in and I've had some time to get used to them.

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #4,398 of 6,313
Well yes, thanks. I tried several headphones as well as audeze sine which doesn't have that pm-3 treble roll-off problem and sounds to me pretty good, but they are no as good as pm-3 fits on my head, also they are on-ear cans. However, I was hoping for some more specific EQ settings, something like - add +1.5 dB for 5k or +2 dB for 8k... I mean may be someone already did something similar and can share it here.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #4,399 of 6,313
  I am probably one of the few persons who does not consider the highs of the PM3 rolled off. I like it just the way it is. I can see where people would say that they are, and I understand totally where they are coming from, probably lacking that last bit of sizzle that some people like. But to me, until I here a headphone do that cleanly and without fatigue to my ears, I like the PM3 just how they are.

It is objectively rolled off though, just look at the frequency response chart. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing and many people prefer it, actually. But you can't really say it's not rolled off, there's data and plenty of impressions to support it that it is.

But I, like you, don't mind the smoother treble. I use mine walking around and for travel and I'm rarely looking for something super in-your-face and detailed during those times. They sound smooth and have really nice bass response. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #4,400 of 6,313
  Well yes, thanks. I tried several headphones as well as audeze sine which doesn't have that pm-3 treble roll-off problem and sounds to me pretty good, but they are no as good as pm-3 fits on my head, also they are on-ear cans. However, I was hoping for some more specific EQ settings, something like - add +1.5 dB for 5k or +2 dB for 8k... I mean may be someone already did something similar and can share it here.

It will still be a bit different for everyone though, we all hear differently so there's not a universally good EQ setting. Just throw on some tunes and start experimenting. Also you can refer to this http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/OppoPM3.pdf to get an idea of the frequency response.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #4,401 of 6,313
  I don't know of any DACs out there that do this for sure. The cable is built to interface with the iPhone and not a DAC, once you have your DAC controlling the audio, the cable won't do anything. Maybe there's a DAC that passes those inputs through but I've not heard of it nor is it mentioned as a feature of most popular mobile DAC/amps.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure if you want to use the volume controls on your cable, you'll just have to plug straight in to the phone. With more Lightning cable DAC/Amps to come (ala Audeze Cipher), you may have a better option soon. That is, if Apple really does get rid of the 3.5mm audio jack. I wonder how good they'll sound though as they are quite tiny, a sophisticated amp/DAC in that form-factor seems a ways off.

Straight to the phone is the only way I can use volume control.  Doesn't work when using Geek Out V2.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #4,402 of 6,313
  It is objectively rolled off though, just look at the frequency response chart. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing and many people prefer it, actually. But you can't really say it's not rolled off, there's data and plenty of impressions to support it that it is.

But I, like you, don't mind the smoother treble. I use mine walking around and for travel and I'm rarely looking for something super in-your-face and detailed during those times. They sound smooth and have really nice bass response. 

I know, I was just throwing in my 2 cents. Notice i didnt say that it isnt rolled off, I even stated it in my review, just that it was perfect for me, barring a headphone that brings smooth extended treble that is clean and free off harshness and fatigue and any ringing.

Also I think Bob Katz did an article about the PM3 and HA2 on inner Fidelity as well and he may have popsted an eq curve there if I am not mistaken, but not 100% sure, so worth checking that out if you are considering using EQ.

D

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #4,403 of 6,313

I agree completely on all points. Yes they are rolled off, but for a portable they sound simply amazing and I like the forgiving nature and feel that when I wanted longer fatigue free listening sessions, the PM3 was stunning and so damn comfortable.

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #4,404 of 6,313
  Not super drastic with my glasses but you really lose the sub bass and some impact, the most fun part of the PM-3 for me. It still sounds alright, but not to is full potential.

That's an interesting observation. I'm trying out the PM3's through the loaner program, and while I expected them to have less bass quantity than my current line-up (NAD Viso HP50, TH-X00, Trinity Atlas), they still don't hit as hard or extend as much as I anticipated. I'll have to try without glasses to see if that makes a difference

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #4,405 of 6,313

That's an interesting observation. I'm trying out the PM3's through the loaner program, and while I expected them to have less bass quantity than my current line-up (NAD Viso HP50, TH-X00, Trinity Atlas), they still don't hit as hard or extend as much as I anticipated. I'll have to try without glasses to see if that makes a difference

Unless your glasses have very thin stalks, I bet you'll notice it. Breaking the seal on them does impact the real low thump some songs have. With some songs that don't extend down as low, it won't be as noticeable.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #4,406 of 6,313
Sorry for the noobish question but I need some help

i am looking for a shorter cable than the 3M for the PM3 I just got.
do I just need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable?
I see a lot of different types of cables litz, occ, ofc, will there be a noticeable difference between them?
am I just better off getting the 1.2M cable straight from oppo?

Thanks

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #4,407 of 6,313

What is the loaner program?

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #4,409 of 6,313
Sorry for the noobish question but I need some help

i am looking for a shorter cable than the 3M for the PM3 I just got.
do I just need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable?
I see a lot of different types of cables litz, occ, ofc, will there be a noticeable difference between them?
am I just better off getting the 1.2M cable straight from oppo?

Thanks

If you ordered directly from Oppo online the PM3 ships with long cable and also ships your choice of Android or iOS shorter cable, no extra fee, At checkout directly from Oppo online store, they ask you choose either Android or iOS or I think maybe even just "plain" shorter cable. Then, both long and your choice of short cables should have been included.

Your other questions about cables is a separate big conversation .....if you google " custom headphone cable" you'll see for yourself. So many choices. For a super high end cable, made especially for PM3, you can spend more on cable than PM3 itself. What I think I've heard most is: buying super expensive cable doesn't improve sound quality in proportion to cost. In other words, if you buy a PM3 and think you'll add a custom "audiophile" $200 cable to it - think about maybe spending that $200 on a different headphones. Not all custom cables are $200, but some really cool looking ones from a company mentioned earlier in this forum would run about $150 for PM3. I haven't seen anything much lower than that made for PM3. In the drop down menus for these cable products you must choose specific Oppo, Sennheiser, Audeze, HiFiman models. It's seems like they fabricate with certain terminator configurations that must be made to be compatible with your specific headset you have. You choose 3.5mm, or balanced, or however you want source input designed. There's some pretty cool custom PM3 cables out there if you've got the $$$.

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #4,410 of 6,313

Users who are viewing this thread

Back