Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jun 28, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #4,441 of 6,313
Jun 28, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #4,443 of 6,313
I've got a set of NAD VISO HP50s (and their "cousin" cans PSB M4U1 as well), and am really interested in the PM3s. Can you elaborate on the differences/similarities?

I sold my HP50s after I bought my PM-3s. I find the PM3 s to be more comfortable, and I enjoy the extra bass, clarity and seperation/soundstage of the Oppos. The build quility is also better.

These are a perfect closed compliment alongside my open LCD2F... PM3 is the end game for me in closed planers.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #4,444 of 6,313
I sold my HP50s after I bought my PM-3s. I find the PM3 s to be more comfortable, and I enjoy the extra bass, clarity and seperation/soundstage of the Oppos. The build quility is also better.

I also preferred the PM3. I really did like the HP50, but it was still somehow unexciting, more so than the PM3, and the HP50 was so ridiculous looking to wear in public, sorry, but true. The PM3 by comparison was much more tasteful looking, to me anyway, and I'm a NAD fan. I'm actually hoping they take another run at a headphone soon!

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #4,445 of 6,313
Very warm and floaty streaming honestly I didn't think I'd be into listening through my laptop this much but very cool.  Continuing  "pick an artist" and just let Tidal riff from there.   Listening to a much wider variety of music.  

So I didn't realize until today -  jacking into a Macbook Pro, even with the Oppo iOS cable, it seems you lose hp track control, but retain volume control.   If my experience is not unique,  that is likely because MPB's DAC is driven by OSX, not iOS.   Funny that volume does, track doesn't.   But the iOS and OSX ecosystems are distinct.  That is a small bummer but because of the way I'm listening on the laptop,  it doesn't matter as much.  And it made pulling the trigger on the small (not 'portable') tube amp easier having learned it's already a trade off in headphone controls with OSX DAC.    Laptop is the way I'm listening more than any other source at the moment, I didn't anticipate that.  But I'm kind of hooked. 

And for me, there is no microphonic feedback using a keyboard while listening.  None at all.  That's a bit of a revelation.

I'm assuming by sheer size the MPB drives the PM3's more efficiently than an iphone.  I can't tell any difference if I leave the laptop plugged into power, or unplugged. 

The PM3s  are by far the most comfortable of any I tried.   I don't just mean "over" or "on" or "in".    These are the only headphones that feel like they disappear on my head.  I know  "holographic" usually pertains to acoustics, but for me this is the most holographic 'fit.'   I don't know they're there.  Only the music is there.  While I have never accessed the MBP headphone jack this way,  I've frequently used MBP DAC to stream to home AVR =  MBP DAC had many miles on it before using PM3s.  Ditto my Yamaha AVR, and other sources.   If the sound is changing while I've had them, it can only be the cans opening up a bit more.

Some say yes some say no, but I think PM3 sound sweetens with use.  Mine was a refurb directly from Opp but it and all accessories looked brand new out of the box. 

So you guys on the loaner program are in for a treat - because what you'll hear is already warmed up for you.  

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #4,446 of 6,313
In  case anyone is looking for a cheap TRRS cable, the premium TRRS cables at MyCableMart work. They fit in the recess (just barely).

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6177

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #4,447 of 6,313
Damn, had no idea Lana del Rey has some brutal sub bass on her Honeymoon album! PM3s do a splendid job at giving you the hit without shadowing her angelic voice and the dreamy atmosphere. Not many cans can pull that off...

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #4,448 of 6,313
Damn, had no idea Lana del Rey has some brutal sub bass on her Honeymoon album! PM3s do a splendid job at giving you the hit without shadowing her angelic voice and the dreamy atmosphere. Not many cans can pull that off...

Just listened to Lana. Nice.

infinitely streaming artist du jour for me is Linda Ronstadt - until "Desperado" I stayed on task. I had to pause. Two clicks under max volume jacked into MacBook Pro. keyboard intro beautiful separation. When Linda dials into that vocal, and when horn arrangement goes even higher it's bright, shiny, but I hear no distortion. I don't listen at that volume normally with MBP as source. Just had to crank it to experiment, and fall in. Have to update and throw in "Tumblng Dice" and that is some sweet base.

My Apple ear buds are put away in a drawer.

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #4,450 of 6,313

Fiona Apple has a ton of super deep bass in her first album that I listen to frequently, and it is really surprising how well the PM-3 can do that while keeping her voice sounding lush and beautiful. Highly addicting. Almost as good as the LCD-2, but portable and light. It always blows my mind that I can get that kind of sound quality from the PM-3 and DX80 while I'm out walking my dogs.

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #4,451 of 6,313
Fiona Apple has a ton of super deep bass in her first album that I listen to frequently, and it is really surprising how well the PM-3 can do that while keeping her voice sounding lush and beautiful. Highly addicting. Almost as good as the LCD-2, but portable and light. It always blows my mind that I can get that kind of sound quality from the PM-3 and DX80 while I'm out walking my dogs.

Great suggestion. Agreed to have this sq walking my dogs is phenomenal. Today I kept in with Linda Ronstadt infinite riff until it hit the Trio album with Emmy Lou and Dolly. Not a huge c&w fan but forgot how stunning Trio is. I seem to be hooked on vocal performance right now out of nowhere I've added Billy Joel's "Captain Jack" to my walk the dogs playlist. I've never been huge billy fan either. But with PM3s and hi def content the vocals seem to have me hooked.

Segue. Ya'll may have seen Apple is rumored to be in talks with Tidal. Put that together with rumored lightning only iPhone 7. I think we may see more integrated cipher like HP DACs sooner than later.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #4,453 of 6,313
Who cares? No cypher would beat my DP-X1. Apple an keep their overpriced crap.

Apple doesn't make Sune + Cipher, Audeze does.

My point was, with approaching 1 Billion iPhones sold, that's a very different market for CD quality Tidal streaming then an $800 dedicated music player with a very tiny installed customer base, that only plays music. You can denigrate Cipher made by Audeze , but the reality is many more hi-def capable integrated hp DACs are coming. For those who want to carry a music player and a separate DAC and a phone, that's a choice too. It would appear there is a humungous market for those who want audiophile quality in an all-one device. And make no mistake - those audiophile all-in one solutions are coming faster than you think. As for Apple, the largest company on planet earth by market cap, the point is possible acquisition of Tidal is a tacit signal there is pent up demand for CD quality streaming. One can pretend they aren't going to disrupt and compete in the audiophile market, but it's coming....and CD streaming quality will supplant MP3s. I dare say for most folks, CD quality will be awesome. When a huge customer base can access hi-def streaming, the market will be disrupted. And we, as customers, will have many more elegant all in one solutions that will equal and then surpass standalone music players.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #4,454 of 6,313
Apple doesn't make Sune + Cipher, Audeze does.

My point was, with approaching 1 Billion iPhones sold, that's a very different market for CD quality Tidal streaming then an $800 dedicated music player with a very tiny installed customer base, that only plays music. You can denigrate Cipher made by Audeze , but the reality is many more hi-def capable integrated hp DACs are coming. For those who want to carry a music player and a separate DAC and a phone, that's a choice too. It would appear there is a humungous market for those who want audiophile quality in an all-one device. And make no mistake - those audiophile all-in one solutions are coming faster than you think. As for Apple, the largest company on planet earth by market cap, the point is possible acquisition of Tidal is a tacit signal there is pent up demand for CD quality streaming. One can pretend they aren't going to disrupt and compete in the audiophile market, but it's coming....and CD streaming quality will supplant MP3s. I dare say for most folks, CD quality will be awesome. When a huge customer base can access hi-def streaming, the market will be disrupted. And we, as customers, will have many more elegant all in one solutions that will equal and then surpass standalone music players.

Agree completely, I just do not like monopolies and giving Apple, the company that likes to enslave you in their ecosystem, even more market penetration is bad for the consumer no matter how you slice it. There is a reason that market competition is healthy and mandated in some sectors. The last thing I want is to see Tidal eaten up by Apple, that would be horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back