Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 24, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #4,471 of 6,313
Will there be a cypher cable for the PM3? I'm also looking for the best upgrade below 100 bucks, the stock cables aren't sturdy enough for the PM3

The Cipher cable with inline DAC is something many of us have discussed. No one knows for sure if Audeze would make the Cipher for other hp's than Sine. However, many of us anticipate when final iPhone 7 specs are announced - there will be many new lightning based cables, some with inline DAC. Cipher will not be alone in the market for much longer.

In the meantime - Forzaaudioworks Claire is very popular. Forzaaudioworks has also said they will be working on a lightning type cable termination after iPhone 7 specs released.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #4,472 of 6,313
Will there be a cypher cable for the PM3? I'm also looking for the best upgrade below 100 bucks, the stock cables aren't sturdy enough for the PM3

Surf Cables, some Amazon sellers, and Ebay sellers makes some nice cables in that price range. Also try Dyson Audio.

https://www.dysonaudio.com/collections/headphone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017DNC59U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469368855&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=pm-3+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=51SI7dlS6xL&ref=plSrch

I have a Surf Cables balanced cable for sale in the classifieds under $100. It sold for $120 new.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #4,475 of 6,313
New pm-3 owner checking in.

After whole day of listening to these things through my pc and idsd micro, gotta say I really like these.  Gonna have to run it through my portable rig (e18, lg g3)

Imaging, separation, and detail are great, treble is rolled off but I prefer that.  Some people complain about weight and clamp force, I didn't have a problem with either one.  Isolation is pretty good, but I haven't tried them outside of the house.

Now the bad.  The stage could be a little better and the bass needs more presence and impact. i had to give it a 8db boost to satisfy my basshead needs and thats not even basshead levels yet. They they could have used a different material for the pads and headband, I don't see the leather holding up on the long run.  Also,  Gonna need to find a cable ASAP.

All in all, really enjoying them.  These will probably end my search for a travel set for a while

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #4,476 of 6,313
  New pm-3 owner checking in.

After whole day of listening to these things through my pc and idsd micro, gotta say I really like these.  Gonna have to run it through my portable rig (e18, lg g3)

Imaging, separation, and detail are great, treble is rolled off but I prefer that.  Some people complain about weight and clamp force, I didn't have a problem with either one.  Isolation is pretty good, but I haven't tried them outside of the house.

Now the bad.  The stage could be a little better and the bass needs more presence and impact. i had to give it a 8db boost to satisfy my basshead needs and thats not even basshead levels yet. They they could have used a different material for the pads and headband, I don't see the leather holding up on the long run.  Also,  Gonna need to find a cable ASAP.

All in all, really enjoying them.  These will probably end my search for a travel set for a while

Interesting. I just got the PM3s two weeks ago. Spent the first week burning them in. And so, I've been using them exclusively this week, attempting to evaluate them. My findings by-and-large reflect your thoughts.

Weight and clamp force? Yeah, I don't have any issues with them. I've never had many over-ear headphones in the past and instead, my "larger" phones have typically been on-ear. Those types of phones (at least, the ones I've bought in the past) have had a lot more clamping force. So the PM3 is nice and relaxed, as far as I'm concerned.

Sound stage? Yeah, it's okay. It's actually very similar to my IE800 IEMs. It's not super wide or deep. But at least music doesn't sound as though it is exclusively occurring inside my skull.

Bass? This is probably my biggest concern. It's...rather thin for my liking. Not too much impact.

And I will absolutely agree with you about the material used for the pads. The two headphones that I've had in the past that used synthetic "leather" have broken down in just a couple of years of use. So I'm a little leery about the longevity of them on the PM3.

The other day, when it was relatively warm, after a roughly 1-hour session with them, I was surprised to see beads of sweat all along the pads once I removed them. I wasn't sweating. But the heat that the PM3s collected resulted in sweat forming right along the seal. Well...at least they'll be nice to use in winter. :wink:

Instrument separation and detail is good. Although, after using my IE800s for the first time after about a week of exclusive PM3 usage, I was struck by how much more sharp, clear and detailed they are compared to the PM3. I'd say the PM3 is more "smooth" and laid back compared to the IE800. Thankfully, the PM3 doesn't sound veiled or muffled at all to me—which is something I was worried about.

Overall, I'd say they're a solidly good set of full-sized phones. Especially for something that can be driven by portable sources.

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #4,477 of 6,313
Do you all wear glasses with these? You really lose the sub bass if you do.

I usually find the bass to be almost too much for punk and metal music and even compared directly to the HE-400 they were more bassy. I have yet to listen to a headphone with more bass emphasis though I generally like mine pretty clean and balanced so I tend not to seek out bassier headphones.

And yeah, they definitely get hot when you're outside in the summer, I've switched to IEMs for portable use until the Fall.

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #4,478 of 6,313
Interesting. I just got the PM3s two weeks ago. Spent the first week burning them in. And so, I've been using them exclusively this week, attempting to evaluate them. My findings by-and-large reflect your thoughts.

Weight and clamp force? Yeah, I don't have any issues with them. I've never had many over-ear headphones in the past and instead, my "larger" phones have typically been on-ear. Those types of phones (at least, the ones I've bought in the past) have had a lot more clamping force. So the PM3 is nice and relaxed, as far as I'm concerned.

Sound stage? Yeah, it's okay. It's actually very similar to my IE800 IEMs. It's not super wide or deep. But at least music doesn't sound as though it is exclusively occurring inside my skull.

Bass? This is probably my biggest concern. It's...rather thin for my liking. Not too much impact.

And I will absolutely agree with you about the material used for the pads. The two headphones that I've had in the past that used synthetic "leather" have broken down in just a couple of years of use. So I'm a little leery about the longevity of them on the PM3.

The other day, when it was relatively warm, after a roughly 1-hour session with them, I was surprised to see beads of sweat all along the pads once I removed them. I wasn't sweating. But the heat that the PM3s collected resulted in sweat forming right along the seal. Well...at least they'll be nice to use in winter. :wink:

Instrument separation and detail is good. Although, after using my IE800s for the first time after about a week of exclusive PM3 usage, I was struck by how much more sharp, clear and detailed they are compared to the PM3. I'd say the PM3 is more "smooth" and laid back compared to the IE800. Thankfully, the PM3 doesn't sound veiled or muffled at all to me—which is something I was worried about.

Overall, I'd say they're a solidly good set of full-sized phones. Especially for something that can be driven by portable sources.

Nice impressions :thumbsup:

My main concern with the PM3 is compatibility ! I don't really feel the synergy out of my V10, AK240 and DX80. Maybe I have very bad recordings but the sound seems to be veiled. The best pairing so far with idevices but very tough to use an ipad air 2 on the go.

The Mojo does a fairly good job with it, but something is still missing in the process...

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #4,479 of 6,313

My main concern with the PM3 is compatibility ! I don't really feel the synergy out of my V10, AK240 and DX80. Maybe I have very bad recordings but the sound seems to be veiled. The best pairing so far with idevices but very tough to use an ipad air 2 on the go.

The Mojo does a fairly good job with it, but something is still missing in the process...

I know what you mean, and I've actually been giving the issue some thought.

When I use my IE800, everything that I listen to seems to have a vibrancy—a clear, distinct, exciting, fun nature about it. When I use the PM3, I get SOME of that, but only on SOME songs.

I think what this comes down to is the philosophies used to shape the sound signature of a given headphone AND the sort of music one listens to. And I don't necessarily mean genres. I mean what sort of recording, mixing, mastering and encoding techniques were used to create a given song.

My personal collection of music spans quite a few genres, decades and encoding techniques. I've got crummy 128Kbps, joint stereo MP3s that have had all frequencies past 16KHz lopped off, all the way to DSD files.

What I'm finding is that when I use the IE800, even my crummy, old songs tend to sound more dynamic and fun. And when I listen to those same tracks on the PM3, they sound rather dull—more like a "wall of sound". Why?

I suspect it has to do with sound signatures between both headphones. The IE800 is known to have a "v-shaped" sound signature. Meaning it emphasizes the bass and treble. And I think on tracks with especially poor dynamic range, this sound signature helps to artificially "restore" some of the perceived dynamic range, since bass elements and treble elements are more emphasized and more distinct.

On tracks with a high dynamic range, the difference is less evident, and they sound almost equally as fun and exciting on both. I say almost because the IE800 still has the edge in detail and instrument separation. But that comes at a price: harsher more sibilant treble.

All that said, it's not as if I'm disappointed with the PM3. I was looking for a full-sized headphone that could be easily driven by portable sources which still sounded full and didn't suffer from any muffled or veiled treble. The PM3 delivers that.

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #4,480 of 6,313

I just got mine as well. First thing I did to connect my V10 since this is a portable HP. I use the Onkyo HF player and I use it's superior EQ on every HP I have. Anyway soon as I fired it up I was unimpressed. Rolled off highs and thin bass .Mids were "rich" though without being harsh. Started my EQ process to bring up the bass and treble, while the bass improved a bit, the treble especially on cymbals sounded "shimmery" reminded me of those bad MP3 compression artifacts.[I only use FLAC files on my phone or computer rig] I'm exaggerating here but just wanna convey this as best I can. Plugged it into my desktop DAC/Amp and it did sounded cleaner, but thin still. Again I've created a new EQ profile on my Musicbee media player on my PC. After that I connected it to my trusty Ifi Ican amp and engaged the Xbass and 3D setting both to max. It needed all that extra "help" to wake this thing up. No I don't subscribe to burn in as I've never experienced it on any of my HPs. Needless to say I'm disappointed since this was purchased for portable use and the only time I was satisfied with it's sound is my desktop rig with heavy EQ settings.BTW the LG V10 can easily drive my Sony MDRZ7 and even the AKG Q701, which no other cell phone I owned before could touch. I can only imagine how bad this thing would sound with a typical low powered cell phone.
Anyway since this was a demo deal from Audio Advisor I don't think I can return it.............

Edit: they agreed of the return, it's going back.

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #4,481 of 6,313
i have to say, i'm a little disheartened. i currently have momentum 2.0 wired hooked up to my nw-zx2. i was looking to get the pm-3's and see what they're about. but it seems that over time, i hear more and more negative things about them.

ultimately, i know most of this may be driven by preference. also realize that i should use my own ears and make my own judgement. would like audition. just don't know where.

wondering how they compare to the momentum 2.0's.

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #4,482 of 6,313
i have to say, i'm a little disheartened. i currently have momentum 2.0 wired hooked up to my nw-zx2. i was looking to get the pm-3's and see what they're about. but it seems that over time, i hear more and more negative things about them.

ultimately, i know most of this may be driven by preference. also realize that i should use my own ears and make my own judgement. would like audition. just don't know where.

wondering how they compare to the momentum 2.0's.

I own both the pm3 and m2, and the zx2. M2 is more v shaped, but pm3 is tighter, more resolving, and balanced. M2 is easier to drive and goes louder on my zx2, but most albums play plenty loud through the oppo's on the zx2. Using a balanced cable on the pm3 with the zx2 is the trump card. Beautiful layering and separation. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference though.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4,483 of 6,313
Hello I'm new to the forums but I wanted to share my first impressions as I received an Oppo PM-3 and HA-2 2 days ago.
I already own a Shure SRH-840 for about 3 years without amplification and the more I listened to them the more I found the sound flat and too neutral.

My opinion completely changed when I plugged the 840's in the HA-2, they sound incredibly much punchier, crisp and I'm actually impressed by the sound. The amp gave them air and a lot of dynamic range, I've to say these cans are awesome for the price if you can amp them.

Now let's talk about the PM-3's. Well, the build quality is outstanding, no doubt about that. BUT
Whatever I throw at them sounds lifeless, even if the term might be a little excessive here. The bass is very precise and goes deep, mids are one of the best sounding mids I've ever heard (they're a tad bit colored and I like it), the biggest issue is the treble. There is literally little to no treble compared to my Shure 840's. There is no air to the sound even if they overall sound pretty good they lack something that gives some emotion to the music. I enjoy my shure the most there is no doubt about that when it comes to enjoy some music, I'm a little disappointed  about the Oppo's.

I think I'll return the PM-3's back and keep the HA-2. This amp sounds beautiful and I recommend it.

That was my 2 cents. I honestly don't know why so many people think the PM-3 is so good. It is good, but it lacks something for the price.
The sounds is def  'laid back" as I read on most reviews. I'll try them out a couple days more to be sure to try out some other genres of music. I'm a little confused right now.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #4,484 of 6,313
Wow, I can't believe how many negative reviews/ impressions I'm reading. The PM3s are amazing headphones! I have mine mainly used with iDSD micro and Mojo and these rock. They have plenty of bass when the song calls for it. I bought a different cable from Forza Audio right away as I think the stock one sucks. When using crappy 128kb it will sound poor as the saying goes "you put crap in you get crap out". I would recommend using a good source with 320kb or higher making sure you have a good seal.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #4,485 of 6,313
Wow, I can't believe how many negative reviews/ impressions I'm reading. The PM3s are amazing headphones! I have mine mainly used with iDSD micro and Mojo and these rock. They have plenty of bass when the song calls for it. I bought a different cable from Forza Audio right away as I think the stock one sucks. When using crappy 128kb it will sound poor as the saying goes "you put crap in you get crap out". I would recommend using a good source with 320kb or higher making sure you have a good seal.

LOL Oh boy! Actually the reality is always much more obvious. If somebody don't care for the sound of a given headphone than the problem lies with it not something else. Unlike many poor souls who desperate to figure out what could go wrong since this is a highly regarded product, and there is must be something else,luckily I know better. :wink: This HP simply fails of what I THINK it should sound, and that's the end of it. There are plenty of other choices out there for me to worry about it. Oh yeah all of my music is lossless or Hi-Res. :wink:
Cheers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back