Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 21, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #3,886 of 6,302
I really enjoyed my PM-3 with the HA-2 when I had it. On low gain it drove them well. On High gain they were better. I also used the PM-3 with a JDS Labs Element, but felt that pairing (while clean) was a bit dry. So, now I await my Modi 2U/Vali 2. I actually like listening to the PM-3 out of my Cambridge DacMagic XS over the JDS Labs Element as well.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #3,887 of 6,302
I've never heard the L2, but I can highly recommend the PM3.  It is one of those diamond in the ruff type headphones.  You will not be disappointed with a PM3 purchase.

FYI, Oppo often has refurbished PM3s for sale on their website.  That is how I purchased mine after I heard them in the loaner program.  They are $319.00 refurbished.  http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=39
for that price it's very tempting but how are they when refurbished? I never really ever got any product that was refurbished and how much would shipping be to aus?

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #3,889 of 6,302
for that price it's very tempting but how are they when refurbished? I never really ever got any product that was refurbished and how much would shipping be to aus?

Here is what the description on Oppo's site says

"Refurbished headphones are fully tested, inspected, and in like-new condition. Warranty on the refurbished unit is the same as new units." 
This is the criteria that my refurb PM3s meet.  I was very happy with them and still am....
L3000.gif

You will need to contact Oppo about the cost of shipping to aus.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #3,890 of 6,302
I have been using the PM-3 for a days and it seems to have a wider and flatter response than my old voice-coil phones so that more detail in the music is evident.  They initially seem to snug but they are comfortable over many hours. Maximum PC called them a winner in Battle of the Cans.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #3,891 of 6,302
Just got my PM-3s today, and must say I am extremely pleased. I'd been researching and trial/erroring multiple pairs over the last 2 months: ATH-M50X...Senny Momentum 2.0...Philips SHP9500...Philips Fidelio X2...and now these. I originally had been looking for 1 closed and 1 open pair, but then decided I wanted to try and find "the one" pair out of the gate. Sort of a swiss army knife headphone for a swiss army variety of uses/music types. And I figured it would be easier for a closed to sound open than vice versa. After all the rave reviews, gave the PM-3 a shot.

I won't say anything that hasn't been said before, but man -- how impressive! The packaging and care immediately hits you in regards to quality. The craftsmanship and build is top notch. (and man, if these are "light" I don't want to know what heavy headphones are) Comfort is great with the right amount of seal and clasp for me. (I wear a 7 3/8 size baseball hat AND glasses, by the way) Pads are super comfortable. I can feel my ears baaaaarely touching the edges, but doesn't bother me.

Finally, the sound is phenomenal, and this is straight into my MacBook Air + iTunes! I listed to the new Ray LaMontagne album I got off HDTracks (ALAC) as well as Global Underground Miami/Danny Howells disc 1 (also ALAC). If they sound this impressive with no DAC and no amp, I can't even imagine what I'm in store for. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the HA-2, because I read so much about how great they pair and it really does seem to be geared towards "people stuck in the Apple ecosystem" like me. Also, for people who say these have no bass...my first reaction was "Wut?" These have great amount of quantity and quality (again, un-amped). I actually wouldn't want any more.

Anyway, propos to Oppo for sure -- they've made me a big fan. The looks & portability is just icing on the cake (trying them out on a plane this weekend).

Finally, can someone tell me what sound signature these are considered -- is it neutral? I've ready so many adjectives and I can't pretend I totally know what they all equate to. Whatever these produce -- that's the sound I like (and I want to remember it)

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,892 of 6,302
Neutral with slight bass emphasis and slightly rolled highs. They pair great with HA-2 and Mojo. Using those you can EQ lows to stupidly high levels, getting the cans to flat on your ears, if that's your thing. Congratulations for the acquisition and enjoy the ride.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #3,893 of 6,302
Neutral with slight bass emphasis and slightly rolled highs. They pair great with HA-2 and Mojo. Using those you can EQ lows to stupidly high levels, getting the cans to flat on your ears, if that's your thing. Congratulations for the acquisition and enjoy the ride.

I agree with you but would like to add iFi Micro DSD with the choices. I have the iFi and HA2 and had the Mojo for awhile and think they are three great choices.
  Just got my PM-3s today, and must say I am extremely pleased. I'd been researching and trial/erroring multiple pairs over the last 2 months: ATH-M50X...Senny Momentum 2.0...Philips SHP9500...Philips Fidelio X2...and now these. I originally had been looking for 1 closed and 1 open pair, but then decided I wanted to try and find "the one" pair out of the gate. Sort of a swiss army knife headphone for a swiss army variety of uses/music types. And I figured it would be easier for a closed to sound open than vice versa. After all the rave reviews, gave the PM-3 a shot.

I won't say anything that hasn't been said before, but man -- how impressive! The packaging and care immediately hits you in regards to quality. The craftsmanship and build is top notch. (and man, if these are "light" I don't want to know what heavy headphones are) Comfort is great with the right amount of seal and clasp for me. (I wear a 7 3/8 size baseball hat AND glasses, by the way) Pads are super comfortable. I can feel my ears baaaaarely touching the edges, but doesn't bother me.

Finally, the sound is phenomenal, and this is straight into my MacBook Air + iTunes! I listed to the new Ray LaMontagne album I got off HDTracks (ALAC) as well as Global Underground Miami/Danny Howells disc 1 (also ALAC). If they sound this impressive with no DAC and no amp, I can't even imagine what I'm in store for. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the HA-2, because I read so much about how great they pair and it really does seem to be geared towards "people stuck in the Apple ecosystem" like me. Also, for people who say these have no bass...my first reaction was "Wut?" These have great amount of quantity and quality (again, un-amped). I actually wouldn't want any more.

Anyway, propos to Oppo for sure -- they've made me a big fan. The looks & portability is just icing on the cake (trying them out on a plane this weekend).

Finally, can someone tell me what sound signature these are considered -- is it neutral? I've ready so many adjectives and I can't pretend I totally know what they all equate to. Whatever these produce -- that's the sound I like (and I want to remember it)

Glad too see you like them and cant to see what you think when they are amped.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #3,894 of 6,302
I would love to see Oppo do a Bluetooth headphone, although I heard a reported stupid comment from Oppo that they didn't think Bluetooth was good enough sound quality?  Seriously, I think the B&O H7 might sound even better than the PM3 virtually across the board and it is Bluetooth. Hell if Bluetooth is good enough for Bang & Oulfsen, B&W, and Sennheiser among others, I find it hard to believe that Oppo has this special standard way above. I'm really hoping they get developing Bluetooth as they are going to behind the curve on this issue for sure. I would love to have a Bluetooth PM3.

Edit: removed get off the crack comments as they aren't very polite

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #3,896 of 6,302
  I would love to see Oppo do a Bluetooth headphone, although I heard a reported stupid comment from Oppo that they didn't think Bluetooth was good enough sound quality? 

Anyone can have a Bluetooth PM-3!

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #3,897 of 6,302
Bluetooth PM-3? Why not a Bluetooth Audeze LCD-4 instead? If you think Bluetooth has sufficient bandwidth to handle high resolution audio, think again. Unless B&O, Sennheiser and B&W reinvented it, I doubt they sound anything worth listening to for longer than 10'. YMMV of course. I have been a wireless fan for years and got about 8 Bluetooth units that I stopped using for anything other than TV watching. A good example is Sony MDR-1RBT MkII, a very decent wireless solution. Plug the wire in though to quickly figure out how pathetic Bluetooth is in comparison.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #3,898 of 6,302
  Bluetooth PM-3? Why not a Bluetooth Audeze LCD-4 instead? If you think Bluetooth has sufficient bandwidth to handle high resolution audio, think again. Unless B&O, Sennheiser and B&W reinvented it, I doubt they sound anything worth listening to for longer than 10'. YMMV of course. I have been a wireless fan for years and got about 8 Bluetooth units that I stopped using for anything other than TV watching. A good example is Sony MDR-1RBT MkII, a very decent wireless solution. Plug the wire in though to quickly figure out how pathetic Bluetooth is in comparison.

You my friend really differ from some very experienced headfiers who don't hear a difference wired versus Bluetooth. High resolution audio, well I won't even go there, each to their own right? Well, thankfully for me I found pathetic Bluetooth, works just fine for my ears, but they are likely just as pathetic.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #3,899 of 6,302
Soundblaster e5 has a very good Bluetooth implementation. It is also a decent DAC and amp. Turns any headphones into wireless ones. It has the best sound over Bluetooth I have had the pleasure to experience. I gave it to my son who's happy with it driving his Fostex T40RPs, with his LG G3.

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #3,900 of 6,302
Hey guys,

Just to share something about my Oppo PM-3s. I have used them in SE (with the stock 3m cable) when I first bought them and have been running them balanced (with Peterek's cable) on my DP-X1 for a few weeks with no issues.

Yesterday I decided to hook them up to my desktop with the stock 3m cable but I was only able to get sound coming from the right side of the headphones. I tried them with my iPhone and laptop too but the same thing happened. I thought my headphones had gone kaput but when I put them back on balanced on my DP-X1, it was working fine with sound emitting from both sides.

Anyone has experienced something similar / any suggestions to what I can do next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back